Tripadvisor
Walsall
All reviews national holidays self service tea and coffee wedding party evening meal and breakfast would stay again bar prices weekend break one night stay comfy bed buffet style cannot fault family room full english excellent value for money venue disco
Selected filters
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Stayed overnight with a friend prior to a large dog show. Hotel looks very 'olde worlde' from outside and is much more modern inside. Very pleasant reception and lobby area. Check in was quick and simple. As we had a dog with us (Extra charge of £10 per night per dog which seems to be about standard though some places charge more) I messaged at time of booking and the day prior to our visit on the phone requesting a room close to an exit due to needing to be in and out to see to the dogs toilet needs - this didnt appear to have been possible and we were allocated a room on the 2nd floor. This meant a fair few journeys up and down the stairs which was a bit tricky with a large dog keen to get on with things but me managed OK. Unfortunately the lift was not working which would have solved this little problem. Looking at previous reviews it seems the lift is a bit hit and miss so would be great if the hotel could address that issue.

The room itself was fine for our needs. One double and one single bed, beds were comfortable and plenty of decent quality pillows. There were a few stains on the carpet but when travelling with a dog a pristine carpet is always a scary sight in case of muddy paws! Tea and coffee making facilities were available and the room itself was a decent size and clever use of mirrors made it appear even larger.

Bathroom had a lovely deep bath which is always a bonus. A few bits of mould round the ceiling areas but nothing of any real concern. There was s problem with the cold water tap on the bath which was constantly leaking a steady trickle of water.This did not cause us any problem but we did mention it to reception who made a note of it.

Decent size flat screen TV was appreciated, bedside lamps all worked (have often found this an issue in other hotels) and convenient power points by the beds for charging phones overnight.

Room was a bit too warm (again common in most hotels) which meant we had to leave the windows open and the road outside is fairly busy even through the night so there was a bit of noise as we were at the front of the building. The hotel itself was fairly quiet.

We opted not to have breakfast as we had to leave very early in the morning. Overall was more than happy with our brief stay which was excellent value for money and will happily book again when attending events in the area.

There are a couple of pubs close by and a convenience store a couple of minutes walk away so everything you might need is on hand.

Room tip: Request rear of building for less road noise
Date of stay: January 2020
Reviewed January 15, 2020 via mobile

The stay was good I was attending a school reunion.
We had a great time .
The room I was given was 116 a privilege room ,
On check in I was told I had been given a free upgrade as it was my first time staying at the hotel
And for the price I paid wow .
The is beautiful like a suite .
Bed comfortable fridge with water in it
And to top it off a little free gift which was a
Wonka bar.
That took me back to my childhood
Brilliant brilliant idea.
Would definitely stay again
And forgot to mention the staff were great
Shaun on reception and the lady at breakfast
Didn’t get here name sorry

Date of stay: January 2020
Trip type: Traveled solo
Reviewed January 7, 2020 via mobile

Hotel location a little outside Birmingham so you need a car. Not much happening nearby. First point of contact was a grumpy male receptionist, he done the job ok but should be a friendly reception. Bar and food were great and also great bar staff. There was a few large stains in hallways and other areas on carpets and walls would need attention. It was reasonably priced.

Date of stay: November 2019
Trip type: Traveled on business
Reviewed January 2, 2020

We are a family of three and we stayed in a Privilege room on New Year's Eve. The decor was luxurious and everything we needed was there including a coffee maker and fridge. I particularly liked the perfect temperature maintained in the room which made is so comfortable. The fridge was very useful and I relaxed in a nice, deep bath. The breakfast was excellent with polite and attentive staff. I have only one criticism, and this was not the fault of the hotel, but in the morning there was a really terrible smell throughout the area which I think came from a nearby rubbish heap. That was awful because I have a really strong sense of smell, but closing the window helped a lot. Despite this one drawback, we really enjoyed our stay.

Date of stay: December 2019
Reviewed January 1, 2020 via mobile

Having stayed here a couple of years ago it was a pleasant return.. New management and a refurbish of reception and the bar area were nice. We were on a coach trip and on a set menu. This however was excellent with very good size portions,breakfast in the morning was of good quality and in plentiful supply.
All the staff we had contact with were helpful and polite but two stand out as excellent,the duty manager and the evening desk clerk went out of there way to sort little problems out and makes us feel at home .
A big thank you to all the staff.
I would stay again if I am in the area.
Dave.

Date of stay: December 2019
Trip type: Traveled with friends
RichardGM2019, General Manager at Mercure Birmingham North Barons Court Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 days ago

Dear davec884,

Lovely to read your comments from your trip to us and we are so glad you enjoyed your time with us.
I will pass this review onto the team for there feedback.

Kind Regards