“Pleasant place to stay in the centre”

Best Western White House Hotel
Ranked #8 of 13 Hotels in Watford
Reviewed January 23, 2013

I've stayed in most of Watford's hotels and I generally come to the White House when I need a bit of character - ie, a change from the pristine soulless chain hotels. The White House is very creaky because it's old, but the rooms are generally spacious and comfortable, and the parking and wifi are free, unlike most other hotels here. You do get a bit of noise from the creaks and the other guests, and occasionally from revellers late at night on the street below, but if you like hotels with some character then it's fine.
The staff always seem very willing to help.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed January 20, 2013

This is a cosy hotel near the centre fo town - which is the best aspect of this venue.

Reception is friendly and internet is available.

I have tried the room service menue - which is not of a high quality. OK if you are hungry and avoid the reheated choices.

The hotel really does need some TLC. Decore and furnishings are well dated and tatty.

I would stay again for the location.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms on the lower levels as the lifts are small and in constant use.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed December 20, 2012

If you are travelling by car the car park is situated off Cassio Road (find Enterprise Car Rental and its behind that). Nice welcome by the receptionist, I was upgraded as a Diamond Crown Club and the room was large and well equipped. I was on the 1st Floor (Room 79) which is right at the end of the corridor. The only thing I would say is that it may be better if you get a room on the second floor as the floor creaked a little - I was lucky, the person above me didn't move much). Nice bar/lounge area where you can get bar meals. I opted to go in the restaurant which had a 2/3 course table d'ote. The food was very good, they obviuosly employ a proper chef. One small niggle - the steaks were 7oz where the norm is usually 8oz and there was a hefty supplement of £4 if you went for a fillet. However you won't be disappointed at the result. Breakfast is a buffet affair for Continental with Traditional being freshly cooked for you, again well cooked and tasty.
In my experience BW's fall into two categories very generally - good and bad. The White House is a good one, certainly having had of their best rooms, I don't know what the basic ones are like. What I can say is that the staff are excellent.

Room Tip: Second floor means no one is moving above you!
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 9, 2012

We stayed here for one night for somewhere to sleep following a wedding in Watford town centre. The location of the hotel and the reception staff very welcoming and friendly. There are no frills with this hotel and you get what you pay for. The room was small but comfortable and very clean but the walls were paper thin and you could hear everything in the next room. Parking is a bit of nightmare too but all in all, for £50 for the night, I can't really grumble.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Babybel10
Reviewed November 5, 2012

I have stayed in several Best Western hotels and have never yet had a bad experience so when needing a couple of nights stay for a nearby wedding, decided to stay here. I had been told that it is basic based on what we were paying but as soon as I walked into the reception area, it was warm and appeared very nice. We were checked in within minutes and given options on what floor we wanted to stay on as on our bookinh had asked for a room off the strret to reduce noise. The bedroom was nice and ample with a large bathroom.On the Friday night we had dinner in the conservatory restaurant and the food was of a very high standard, good choice and a 2 course for 18 a person. If there was anything I would change would be that there would be more basic meals available there without eating at the bar and able to purchase just one course if not as hungry. The staff at reception, room service, restaurants were all so nice and helpful and nothing you could fault about the great service there. From the 2 night stay we had the only thing that spoilt our stay was the guests. Our 1st night we had a lively couple next door well awake till 5am and the next evening woke up again about 5am from guests with no consideration for anyone else shouting in the corridors. The reception were quick to respond when we complained and made it clear that the behaviour wasnt tolerated. The room walls could be better sound proofed and if there was anything I could change then this would be it. We were offered a different room location after the 1st night and after our bad experience after the 2nd complimentary breakfasts. We declined the breakfasts on offer as we felt that the hotel were not at fault and did everything they could to make our stay pleasant and they cant be at fault for rude guests. If I were to visit Watford again then I would definatley stay here again. A trip to the Harlequin centre is a good shopping experience and nearby bushey a nice place to visit.

Room Tip: probably go for a top floor to avoid having creaky floorboards above you if wanting a good night sle...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 28, 2012

We orginally booked into the Travelstop Inn annex opposite the hotel but they upgraded us to the main building when we checked in. We came to Watford to attend a wedding in the nearby banqueting suites so only really used it as a place to sleep for the night. In that respect it is quiet, clean and comfortable. The staff are very friendly and helpful which is what you'd expect from this chain. All in all a pleasant stay.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 30, 2012

we cant fault phil and his team from start to finish of the whole process
we had the most magical day we were looked after by the staff and treated like we were the only guests nothing was to much trouble .the venue was superb the food amazing our room excellant.the team put them selves out to accomodate all our guests and any problems.if couples want a wedding package that is all this and very reasonable priced no need to look any further than phil crossland and his team to make your special day magical

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple