“OK, but could do with an update.”
Review of Hilton Watford

Hilton Watford
Ranked #7 of 13 Hotels in Watford
Worcester, United Kingdom
“OK, but could do with an update.”
Reviewed October 21, 2012

My husband and I stayed here recently when visiting Harry Potter World. The hotel is easy to find, just off junction 5 of the M1 (travelling fron the Midlands).

From the outside, the hotel is very unattractive. The free parking is a plus though, and the staff are very friendly and welcoming. The reception area is clean and a nice area to walk into.

We had a room on the ground floor, which was clean, but could do with some refurbishment. The view outside our window was awful, but since we didn't spend much time in the room, it wasn't a big deal. The bathroom was clean, but a little dated, but it did have a great shower.

The breakfast was good, with a nice selection of hot and cold foods. The breakfast staff were as friendly as the reception staff, and we were made to feel very welcome.

A major con for us was the distance from the hotel to Watford Junction, as we wanted to travel by train into central London. On the flip side, it was an easy drive from the hotel to Harry Potter World.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank welshraz
NShears, General Manager at Hilton Watford, responded to this review, November 9, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay at Hilton Watford whilst visiting Warner Bros Harry Potter Studio Tour.

I appreciate your balanced review and I was particularly pleased that you gave top marks for service, I know the team here will welcome your appreciation of their efforts.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Hilton Watford on your next visit to the area.

Neil Shears

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (209)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
coventry
Reviewed October 17, 2012 via mobile

We chose this hotel because there was a good offer on late rooms! When we got there with most Hilton hotels, it doesn't look great from the outside.. However inside is lovely! When we got to our room we had a premier suit, which of corse was a nice surprise! The room was large with extra such a hair drier etc! I really didn't have a complaint, however we pretty much dropped our bags and went out! At night it sounded said somebody was drilling into the room.. Every five mins! I then worked out it was the radiator warming up, reaching temperature, turning Down then heating up again ..... ALL NIGHT! All I can say is I was tired the next day! Having a shower the next day, all of the shower curtain was ripped, not something you would expect from a premiere suite! The sink didn't drain water very fast, I would say almost blocked! What can I say for £57 you get was you pay for, however I wouldn't of been happy if I had paid full price!

• Stayed October 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay at Hilton Watford.

I appreciate your balanced comments, it is a shame I do not know which room number you stayed in. I have shared your feedback with our Head Housekeeper and Facilities Manager to enable them to check for these issues in our rooms. Please accept my apologies for your disturbed nights sleep, this should not have happened.

I was pleased to read that you gave top marks for service.

Dallas, Texas
Reviewed October 11, 2012 via mobile

Rooms are adequate, shower pressure is good. Staff was very friendly. I had the buffet dinner and breakfast, both were good.

Internet worked without a hitch and the fitness center had decent treadmills. Very clean...

Good for a one night stay. 6 pound cab to watford station. Not luxurious by any means but its a solid hotel. I also received a free drink for being a Hilton Honors member.

Negative would be all the fire doors in the guest hallways.

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
NShears, General Manager at Hilton Watford, responded to this review, October 16, 2012

I was pleased to read that you found the staff very friendly and the food to be very good. Our team strives to make guests feel welcome and this seems to be the impression you left with. I was grateful for your positive comment about cleanliness, that is also extremely important to us.

I have noted your comment about the number of fire doors. These are a legal requirement for guest safety and where possible are held open with electromagnets.

I look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to the area.

Devon
Reviewed October 6, 2012 via mobile

The Hilton Hotel offered courtesy on arrival coupled with efficiency. The rooms are well equipped and very comfortable. We were upgraded for just £7 - well worth the money. The breakfast was simply outstanding from cereals and toast to smoked salmon, full English, fresh fruits and cheeses and much more. As much as you like and superb quality. Evening meal once again very good. An excellent stay all round.

• Stayed August 2012
NShears, General Manager at Hilton Watford, responded to this review, October 9, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and were able to take advantage of the eStandby upgrade offer. I shared your feedback with the team at our morning meeting and there were smiles all around the room, thank you.

Canterbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 6, 2012

I stayed for 4 nights at the Hilton in Watford. The hotel is a little tired for a Hilton, but the room was perfectly fine. The hotel restaurant was a real surprise, with a set menu of 3 courses for £18.95, and really great food. Breakfast is also very good. Overall, I found this a good hotel for business travelling.

Room Tip: Make use of the 3 course set menu in the evening - great value and quality of food.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at Hilton Watford.

We have made some changes in our kitchen brigade recently and it is great to hear that you found the food to be of great quality, the chefs were encouraged by your feedback.

Thank you for your recommendation of our hotel for those travelling on business and I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

FL
Reviewed October 2, 2012

First, the overall physical plant is wearing a bit, but everything works and the place is spotless. For all the basics, i.e., a great lodging experience, there are no downsides to this property. This was the first time in our travel experience that every single member of staff we encountered in every department - restaurant, housekeeping, front desk and management, were exceptional in providing caring customer service. There was one electrical outage issue (not just our room) one of the nights and they bent over backwards to accommodate us by moving us to another room (they moved our stuff for us) until the problem was resolved, then moved us back. Plus, they gave us dinner and drink vouchers for our inconvenience. The restaurant staff was extremely friendly and each morning at breakfast inquired as to how we were doing and if we needed any assistance with anything in the hotel. As for the restaurant, the breakfast was super and at dinner, the steak was superb and reasonably priced. Although this is an older Hilton in appearance, it's the best Hilton we've experienced as far as customer service. They care and it shows.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

I have taken great pleasure in not only reading your review, but also sharing it with the whole hotel team. We believe that customer service is the responsibility of every team member and your experience is testament of that ethos.

I accept that our building is starting to get a little old, for me this makes the provision of great customer service even more important. I was also delighted to read your comments about the superb food.

I trust you had a safe journey home and look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to the area.

Andover, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 30, 2012

Another good experience in this hotel. It really is a 'business' hotel, full of business travellers with the odd Chinese tourists. It's quite reassuring to know everyone is in the same boat, i.e. staying away from home, and some patrons are clearly regulars given their conversations with staff at breakfast. Talking of whom, Javier was an excellent waiter at dinner, although I must say that the reception and all other staff are equally helpful. I was a little disappointed with my 'de luxe' room which I was told had been refurbished but seemed very dated nonetheless. And the TV signal on BBC 1 was so bad it was unwatchable. Old style toilet flush and very, very old style taps in bathroom. But the pillows still good; it is quiet, clean; the food is excellent in this hotel and the scallops are, again, to die for. Functional, convenient and good quality. Not all Hiltons are as good.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent visit at Hilton Watford.

Javier was delighted when I shared your feedback with him, particularly as he is still fairly new to the hotel. Equally our Chef took great delight in hearing that his "scallops are to die for...".

We accept that the hotel is now forty years old and this presents certain challenges with functionality. The TV reception is one of those issues and we are working hard to find a workable solution, I hope that you will see some improvement in the near future.

I look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Hilton Watford.