“Needs a renovation”

Ranked #9 of 13 Hotels in Watford
Mirfield, United Kingdom
“Needs a renovation”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for business in December. The rooms are very dated and slightly weird in layout. It didn't have a meal on site so cannot comment on that. The bar area is decent enough. The hotel has a strange 1960s vibe and needs a renovation to bring it forward a few decades. I will continue to stay at the Hilton next door which is also dated but slightly better!

Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Allan P, General Manager at Mercure London Watford Hotel, responded to this review, January 24, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay at the Mercure , but I was very disappointed to hear that your experience did not meet your expectations. Please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

We appreciate your feedback,

Kind Regards

Allan Porter

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (177)
Beaconsfield, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2013

We Stayed there as it was local to relatives. Family room booked for 4,one single bed and a small double given. Sticky surfaces in room. Radiator thermostat would not turn down room boiling. No hot water for showers. No breakfast buffet as booked. Many breakfast dishes not available. Fresh coffee was instant placed into a cafeteria.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Steve S, General Manager at Mercure London Watford Hotel, responded to this review, December 27, 2013
Dear Pepperman 103

Thank you for your review posted on Trip Advisor.

At Mercure we strive to offer an excellent guest experience and I am sorry on this occasion we failed to do so. Due to the Festive season the decision was taken to offer a limited food service within the hotel for which I believe all guests were contacted in advance to advise them in advance.

With regards to your comments regarding your room I will pass these on to the Head Housekeeper and Maintenance Manager in an effort to address those concerns and prevent future occurrences.

Once again I am sorry we did not meet your expectations.

Patrick Diack.
Swindon, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2013

My wife and I have stayed at this hotel on many occasions and always ahve found that the staff on reception most helpful with the booking in process. Our rooms have always been clean and up to standard. The food in the restaraunt and bar has always been very tasteful and value for money. This has been enhanced by the standard of the friendly staff friendliness

Dear Norman W

Thank you for your recent review posted on Trip Advisor. It is always a pleasure to receive such positive feedback.

I will ensure your comments are passed on to the team as it will encourage them to continue with the quality of their welcome and customer service / friendly professional approach to our guests.

We hope to welcome you back soon.

Patrick Diack.
Nottingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2013

Stayed here twice in December had have to say apart from the reception staff most of the staff I encountered bordered on being rude and dis-interested.
The rooms need sprucing up, they look and feel tired, breakfast is not a particularly good experience nor was the evening meal.
I have to say I have stayed at worse, but given the choice I would not rush back!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Steve S, Guest Relations Manager at Mercure London Watford Hotel, responded to this review, December 23, 2013
Dear ChrisD1961

Thank you for your feedback posted on Trip Advisor.

I am sorry you have not enjoyed the time spent at the hotel.

I will pass on your feedback to the relevant departments in an effort to address your concerns and prevent future occurrences.

Once again please accept my sincere apologies.

Ovacik, Turkey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2013

Opted to stay overnight for a recent Xmas works do,mate dinner and drank far too much! Hotel staff could not have been nicer, the bar ladies were chatty and jokey with our party, the restaurant staff were polite and friendly, the food was hot and tasty. Booking in to reception was hassle free. The room was clean, large and warm (have stayed in larger chain hotels and frozen in winter so was very pleased to find a working radiator!!). All in all I would certainly recommend a stay here...thanks Mercure for a lovely evening!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Steve S, Guest Relations Manager at Mercure London Watford Hotel, responded to this review, December 18, 2013
Dear Jopiancat

Thank you for your review posted on Trip Advisor.

It is always a pleasure to receive such positive feedback. We are also pleased to have been part of your Christmas celebrations. I will ensure that your comments are passed on to the whole team.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Merry Christmas and kind regards

Luton, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2013

I made the mistake of staying here for a night in November. Check-in was fairly straightforward, but what happened afterwards wasn't! The first room I was given had no working heating and so I asked to be moved. The second room, again had no working heating and the window latch was broken so the room was cold and draughty. The third room was exactly the same, no working heating and draughty windows. The fourth room was a little better as the heating was working, but the windows were still quite draughty, by this time it was past midnight and I could not be bothered to argue with the staff or move again. It was a very cold night and so I wanted a warm room, especially if I'm paying over £100. The staff are well aware of the awful condition of the hotel and simply shrug their shoulders saying "I'm sorry , theres nothing we can do". I argued for a full refund in the morning and the manager eventually agreed. Avoid at all costs, theres a nice Hilton just down the road!

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank BlueSerenity
Dear BlueSerenity

Thank you for your review posted on Trip Advisor.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused.

Unfortunately we did have a problem with a boiler breakdown. This has now been rectified. I will also pass on your comments to our maintenance team to avoid future issues with the windows as described.

Once again I am sorry for the issues you encountered and inconvenience caused.

Many thanks

Sheffield, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 14, 2013

Got to say you do get what you pay for. We paid 99 for two nights b-b which suited us but I would have been upset if I would have paid full price. The breakfast was not nice. The room was large and tidy. It was suitable for our needs. The bathroom was fine but how difficult is it to give it a clean? The toilet was engrained at the bottom of the s bend with something that you would see on how clean is your house, the mould on the tiles was terrible at the top and the floor was grubby. Back to the hilton down the road next time I think, more money but again you get what you pay for!

• Stayed December 2013
Steve S, Guest Relations Manager at Mercure London Watford Hotel, responded to this review, December 16, 2013
Good Morning Mummy_of_H

Thank you for your review posted on Trip Advisor.

I am sorry we did not meet with your expectations. I will pass on your feedback to the Head of each department mentioned and ask them to implement a plan to ensure we get it right for the future.

Once again thank you for your feedback.

Many thanks