“Rooms are fine but not the food”

Mercure London Watford Hotel
Ranked #9 of 13 Hotels in Watford
Farnham, England, United Kingdom
“Rooms are fine but not the food”
Reviewed June 13, 2013 via mobile

I was here for company away day for 2 days and one night.

The bedrooms were reasonable and the bed comfortable and the room was clean, although not in a brilliant state of repair. The showers were full of hot water and easy to use.

Dinner in a private room was not a great experience. The room was totally lacking in atmosphere - just some flowers would have done something! We were asked if we wanted anything to drink but had to ask for the wine list. When we ordered some wine we were then told they didn't have any of the white we asked for, although a stray bottle appeared later. The starters took some time to appear even though we had ordered in advance. The main courses went downhill. People who ordered the salmon found it ranged from being almost raw to nearly cooked okay. My pork chop (or rather 2 massive chops) were overlooked and very tough. The portions could be very easily reduced in size and still fill people up. To be fair we were offered complimentary wine and cheese because of the problems with the food without prompting so that was at least good.

Breakfast was okay but nothing special and probably at the level you would expect for a hotel in this price range. A pot of tea rather than a mug would have been nicer.

The meeting room coffee machine was inadequate for the number of people in the room and kept breaking down - very annoying for those of us needing a regular caffeine fix!

The design of the hotel wasn't great but we can blame the original architects for that! The carpets in the corridors were worn in places and the bar totally lacked atmosphere

Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Steve S, General Manager at Mercure London Watford Hotel, responded to this review, June 20, 2013
Dear CM_Farnham

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay at the Mercure London Watford. I was very disappointed to hear that your experience did not meet your expectations. Please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

Rather than try and answer your most constructive comments individually, I would rather assure you I will discuss your comments with my management team so we may take the necessary action to improve our service and quality at hotel level.

You clearly attended the same event as Kevin L, who also took the time to review his visit to the hotel below, and I would assure the relevant action has been taked with regards to the cooking of the main course.

We appreciate your feedback, and I hope that you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back to the Mercure London Watford Hotel again in the future.

General manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (180)
Farnham, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 13, 2013

Booked the hotel for a two day strategy event. From the outset it was poor. The coffee machine in the meeting room repeatedly ceased working. Main corridor with threadbare carpets. The Spa was very poorly maintained. Dinner was ordered at lunchtime. Despite that, it took an age to receive starters and the majority who had chosen salmon as a main course were served very under-cooked, inedible fish - lamentable.
Requests for coffee at breakfast were not honoured and when it did arrive, the coffee was poor.
The member of staff assigned to our party was clearly embarrassed and tried hard to make up for the overall failings - he deserves credit.
Checking out went smoothly.

Room Tip: Try another hotel
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Kevin L
Dear Kevin L

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your strategy event at the Mercure London Watford. I was very disappointed to hear that your experience did not meet your expectations. Please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

I have discussed your comments regarding the meeting room and breakfast coffee, and maintenance issues you highlight with the relevant departmental Managers so they may take the necessary action.

There can be no excuse for the main course not be be cooked properly at dinner and Chef has already taken this on board with his team. I do know that complimentary wine and a cheese course was provided on the evening as a gesture of goodwill, however we should of course ensure all food is served correctly as a minimum standard. My Chef has asked to be associated with my apologies to you.

On a slightly brighter note I was pleased to note your favourable comments regarding the member of staff assigned to your party and I will pass on your comments to him.

Sutton Coldfield
Reviewed June 4, 2013

Initially the rooms appear modern and fresh but when unpacking you find that the cheap furniture has not stood the test of time and many different guests. The windows, whilst double-glazed, are terrible and do not keep out the noise from the M1, which is constant throughout the night.
The bar is totally lacking in atmosphere and the staff are more interested in their mobile phones than the customers.
I had a deluxe room, which had slippers, robe and a Nespresso machine - none of which I used. The size of the room was not great and the bathroom was very small. There was a small bath with a very high side to step over to access the shower.
Take ear plugs and a fan as the rooms are very hot with small opening windows (if you can stand the noise) and no a/c or a fan.

Room Tip: Take ear plugs and a fan.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Stewart W
Steve S, General Manager at Mercure London Watford Hotel, responded to this review, June 10, 2013
Dear Stewart W

Thank you for your valued review.

We would sincerely like to apologise that you did not feel the rooms matched your expectations and will use your comments when we are planning the next phase of our bedroom refurbishment programme.

I will also review your comments regarding service in the bar with my Carering Manager as we certainly should be providing a more efficient and personal service.than you describe.

Yours sincerely

Crawley

Stayed after going to the England Game at Wembley
Great price for a hotel so close - easy transfer from Bushey train station to Wembley Central which is a short walk from the stadium.
Room was clean and tidy and check inn staff were very efficient during a busy period
Would stay again next time visiting the stadium

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Mikeeyboy

Many thanks for taking the time to post your review following your visit to the hotel, I am delighted you enjoyed your stay.

I will discuss your kind comments with the management team, who I know will be greatly encouraged by your feedback.

I do hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Watford, or one of our many other Mercure hotels again in the future.

Reviewed June 4, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for the night due to its location near the Harry potter studios. Our room was nice but I'm afraid that's where the good part ended. The staff are awful particularly in the restaurant we had a 45min wait before we got any starters and then when our mains came they were cold and had to be sent back. The waiting staff are rude and seem to have no management there were several other people in at the time who had the same problems one man was told his order had been lost and when his food did come it wasn't even what he ordered. I set up my card so that we could charge drinks to our room (you can't pay as you go after 11pm) and the person who did this for me was very condescending. Breakfast staff were much better but it's strange that you can only have a continental breakfast delivered to your room if you want something hot you can't unless you pay extra for a breakfast bap. Overall experience was very poor.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank CheshireCat1305
Dear Alice1305

On a slightly brighter note I was pleased to note your favourable comments regarding the room and our convenient location for the Harry Potter Studio's.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 30, 2013

You know exactly what you get with the Accor chain, we use them all the time. We left an alarm clock in our room and after submitting the hotels own feedback survey which mentioned it, the hotel contacted me and posted our clock back. How's that for service!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Coco101healdgreen
Steve S, General Manager at Mercure London Watford Hotel, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
Dear Coco101Devon

Many thanks for taking the time to post your review following your visit to the hotel, I am delighted you enjoyed your stay, and that your alarm clock arrived safely.

I do hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Mercure London Watford again in the future.

Cornwall
Reviewed May 27, 2013

On a recent visit to Chelsea Flower show, our coach stopped at this hotel for two nights. The room was excellent, very clean and quiet. Some rooms didn't have any view, just a plain wall. The dinner was very basic with not very much choice and not very hot, the dinner plates were in a stand with a notice that said "Hot Plates", they were cold... the desserts consisted of a white chocolate cake or a chocolate cake.
Breakfast was also basic with fruit choice of yellow melon; red melon or grapefruit, there were a variety of hot dishes, the bacon could be used to mend shoes with it was so hard, the tomatoes were not cooked at all and only one toaster was available which one had to put the bread through twice to get it browned. No choice on cups or mugs, just a thick mug and tea/coffee was brought round in a jug. A good hotel if you were just passing through London. Staff were very pleasant. I was with a coach company and most of the passengers were over 40 +

Room Tip: I was with a coach company, would not go on my own
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Lavorrick
Dear Lavorrick

Many thanks for taking the time to post your review following your visit to the hotel.

I was concerned to note your comments regarding breakfast and dinner, and I have discussed your comments with both my Chef and Restaurant manager. Certainly we should be providing hot plates and a variety of both desserts at dinner, and a variety of breakfast items, and I will review these areas with the relevant Managers.

On a slightly brighter note was pleased to learn of your favourable comments regarding the room and staff, and I will discuss your kind comments with the team who I know will be encouraged by your feedback.