“If this is the best sushi for miles; then stay miles away from here.”

Hanako Japanese Restaurant
Ranked #34 of 268 Restaurants in Watford
Cuisines: Asian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed July 13, 2012 via mobile

Overpriced, limp, uninspiring sushi in a cold, empty place. Small benches and tables and the kind of watchful service you get at a Chinese buffet. Miserly service and portions meant that when I asked for more wasabi, the request was refused; the soya sauce was brought out and two small drops were carefully served by the owner once voluntarily and once after we begged and pleaded for a little more. indeed, when we asked for some soya sauce to dip our edamame into we were informed we should have gone for the slightly more expensive soya garlic version if we wanted soya with our beans.

It was just the most ridiculous dining experience of my life particularly because of the cost/experience disparity. There are 100s of better sushi places all around London so do yourself a favour and don't come here.

Reviewed May 22, 2012

I'm putting my hands up and admitting I was wrong. I did not think it was possible to get good Japanese food somewhere so far from central London as Watford but Hanako really delivered.
Seemingly family-run (hurray for small independent businesses), the service and food were great and the décor was the kind of thing I've seen in small independent restaurants in Japan.

My co-workers and I are already planning our next visit, soon to become a weekly event.

3  Thank ZMBLD
Reviewed May 2, 2012

I love Japanese food and I love this place.. Simple,but delicious food. No frills quality. Check it out.

1  Thank burlistic
Reviewed April 25, 2012

Second visit (don't go to Watford very often), and it was just as good for lunch. We were the only people there. The lady who served us was lovely. The food was so so fresh and delicious. The duck soup is yummy!

It's the only sushi place in Watford. Unless people begin to appreciate what they have here, it will be gone.

1  Thank pol81
Reviewed March 20, 2012

Well worth a visit if you have not tried Japanese food before. Nothing posh here, long wooden tablesand benches with the odd cushion scattered to help with your 'comfort' but the food is first class.
Fresh fish daily, and the sushi is amazing.....not the cheapest night out but you get what you pay for. In my opinion well worth splashing out that little bit extra.