“End of an Era”

Ranked #60 of 104 Restaurants in Dartford
Cuisines: British, Grill
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: At The Rising Sun Harvester in Dartford food is fresh, full of flavour and just how you like it. Choose your tasty grill, sauce and side at our restaurant and we'll get cooking - while you head off to the famous Harvester salad bar to grab as much crisp, freshly prepared tasty salad as you like.About our Harvester restaurantIf you're looking for a family friendly restaurant in Dartford, there's nowhere more popular than Harvester. Close to Crayford, Greenhithe and Wilmington, our restaurant is a great choice for anyone who loves tasty grills, indulgent desserts and eating out in a friendly, relaxed atmosphere. Plus we've loads of choices for young guests.
kent
“End of an Era”
Reviewed March 1, 2013

This restaurant has been a family favourite for almost 30 years (before it was a Harvester) and holds many many memories.
Unfortunately I will not be returning again as it really has gone downhill. Both my girlfriend and I visited here about midway through the year and put average experience down to a one off, more I think out of misguided loyaltly however; after attending again towards the end of the year I must say it really was poor.
The service was ok and our waitress did all she could, which was an improvement on the previous visit however; she was badly let down by the food. My girlfriends food was inedible and although this was taken off the bill it was last chance saloon for us. Sad but true, the Harvester in Sidcup (if you want a Harvester) is alot better these days.
This restaurant is tired and appears to be passed its sell by date.....very sad.
By the way I was the last of the family to keep up the tradition, the rest gave up on it earlier in the year

• Visited December 2012
2 Thank leezy1

Sleaford, United Kingdom
“A long long wait to be seated - brusque service. Boring, uninspiring”
Reviewed February 26, 2013

Well, we chose this because we had a 20% off food and drink voucher cut out from the Sun newspaper. We sat for ages waiting for a table, and were told we couldn't have the discount on any drinks we ordered before being seated, as the bar didn't offer 'tabs'. Three rounds later, we finally got a table. Food was ok, nothing startling, portions reasonable - the ice cream sundaes are nice-looking but all a bit same-y. Waitress seemed in a hurry and made no attempt to be friendly.
There was nothing about the meal that would make me choose this restaurant again, or any other Harvester come to that - whatever discount they offer.

• Visited January 2013
Bexley, United Kingdom
“Friendly, helpful staff in a badly managed restaurant”
Reviewed February 22, 2013

I dined here on a busy Friday lunchtime with my mother and my two children. We had to wait 20 minutes to order. We ordered salmon but the waitress returned a further 20 minutes later to tell us the salmon was off! Why the 20 minute wait? Why would a restaurant not order enough salmon for a Friday lunchtime.

Another wait ensued before our second choice of main was taken to the kitchen. Again there was a further wait while our second choice was prepared.

By this time we had run out of drinks and the waiting staff were far too busy to notice. I finally went to the bar. This was being staffed by one bar man. He failed to notice me waiting served other customers before me. By this stage I was rather angry. When finally served he then told me that he couldn't serve drinks for the table or get someone to deal with my situation. Terrible customer care! It wasn't his fault, he had been left to man a busy bar on his own - bad management.

By this time my food had finally arrived. I had lost my appetite. My drink finally arrived as I was halfway through my main course.

Needless to say we didn't hang around for dessert or coffee!

• Visited February 2013
Dartford, United Kingdom
“loosing its appeal”
Reviewed January 16, 2013

I used to enjoy taking my son here , but to be honest the food has gone down hill . I hae noticed it over the last year and half. The staff are great and work hard . But its the food that is letting the place down .

Visited January 2013
1 Thank THESECRETSHOPPER
Dartford, United Kingdom
“Wouldn't return in a while!”
Reviewed December 30, 2012 via mobile

I dined here on a Saturday evening with a friend and my partner. With it being Saturday night we did not expect service to be excellent but we didn't expect to be served after fifteen minutes of sitting down . When we were eventually seen to the waitress was rude and skipped over my order whilst I decided on a change of menu item - what I wanted was out of stock and I was only told this as I ordered. The waitress was impatient and was rude to other tables around us. We were then served by another member of the team who was more attentive and helpful which improved the experience a little. The food was OK, the main course was average and the deserts were slightly better.

Overall I wouldn't return in a hurry, maybe I would give it a go on a weekday.