“Not a great stay”

Rowhill Grange Hotel & Utopia Spa
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Dartford
Reviewed August 23, 2014

I never normally write reviews but this time I really feel like sharing ..... When you spend over £400 for a two night stay you expect a decent night sleep .... The spa facilities were great, the treatments were lovely too and food not bad.

The thing that really let me down is the fact that they think it's fine to join two single beds together and expect people to have a lovely relaxing sleep. The amount of times we had to get up to push the two beds together ruined our sleep ... When I did complain about it I was told all the beds are like that ...... Seriously they can't think that's comfortable. I have walked away with a bad back!

That said I can't complain much about anything else .... Lovely place. Love the fact that none of the rooms have numbers they all have room names ... We stayed in a room called poppy.

7  Thank MKG83
James P, General Manager at Rowhill Grange Hotel & Utopia Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2014

Dear MKG83,

Thank you very much for posting your recent review.

I was very sorry to receive your email and hear you were unhappy with the mattress in your room. All our mattresses are hand made by Vi-Spring and we usually receive very positive feedback about their comfort and quality. I am very sorry the mattress was not to your liking and if you do consider returning to us on a future occasion, I would most certainly be very happy to ensure you received a room with a fixed double bed.

Once again, thank you for your constructive feedback.

James

Write a ReviewReviews (1,734)

Reviewed August 22, 2014

A group of us went for an overnight spa break at Rowhill Grange and loved it. There wasn't a single part of the trip we found disappointing. The staff both at reception and in the spa couldn't do enough for us - rearranging treatments if we needed them, giving us the guided tour, and the boardgames after dinner! The treatments we're so relaxing and the whole spa atmosphere was everything you could want. Even the steam room being close (my personal favourite) didn't dampen on our enjoyment. Can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled with friends

Dear Claire C,

Thank you so much for posting your recent review of Rowhill Grange & Utopia Spa.

We were thrilled to hear how much you enjoyed your stay with us and to read such positive comments about how helpful the team were with rearranging your treatments.

Once again, thank you for your comments and I very much we are able to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed August 20, 2014

My Husband and I recently enjoyed a one night stay here to celebrate our anniversary. Our room was lovely, meals delicious and spa relaxing. Service overall was good, although I felt staff lacked warmth or ability to be just relaxed and friendly.

Take care when using the restaurants - there are two. Elements is a lounge bar with a limited menu but still very nice and at a more reasonable price. RG's is fine dining at a fine price. That's great if that's what you want and expect. I carefully pre-booked for Elements prior to arrival and for 9pm. I had email confirmation of this. On checking in I was told "we have you booked in for dinner at 8pm". I queried this but was told "well that's what we have you down for"! Not wanting to make a fuss, and happy with 8pm I left it at that. The porter pointed out which way to go for 'THE restaurant' so we later made our way there. The way he directed us took us to the more expensive restaurant (where I assume they'd taken the liberty of booking us in for 8pm?). We realised this wasn't where we wanted to be so went and found Elements, where we had a lovely meal, pleasant service and nice surroundings. Another reviewer had a similar experience.

At the spa everything was good, clean and enjoyable. Make sure you collect a towel at spa reception before heading downstairs!

Room Tip: 'Narcissus' was spacious, nicely decorated and comfortable with a lovely bathroom. There wa...

Dear Cheryl N,

Thank you very much for posting your recent review of Rowhill Grange & Utopia Spa.

Please accept my apologies for the misunderstanding with your dinner reservation. Rest assured, I will be sharing the content of your review with our Restaurant Manager and discussing your feedback.

I was very pleased to hear how much you enjoyed all the other elements of your stay and we very much hope we are able to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed August 19, 2014 via mobile

Had a spa day with my daughter last Friday as a Mothers Day gift from her and her partner. Had an absolutely fab day, nails, Indian Head Massage, lunch and an afternoon in the steam room, relaxation pool, jacuzzi and swimming pool, staff were so friendly, surroundings beautiful, so relaxing, fully recommended, can't wait fir the next visit.

Stayed: August 2014

Dear Julie S,

Thank you very much for sharing your recent Spa Day experience with the Trip Advisor community.

I was delighted to read about how much you and your Daughter enjoyed your day and to read your comments about the team. They are a real credit to the hotel and I will ensure they are made aware of the content of your review.

I hope I am able to welcome you back to Rowhill Grange & Utopia Spa in the near future.

Reviewed August 19, 2014

We went to the day spa, and had a great day, finishing off with champagne afternoon tea. The spa facilities and treatments were very good. My only complaint is that it felt very over crowded, and very noisy, there were no spare chairs in the pool/wet areas and there were always loads of people in the hydro pool. Space seemed to be limited and there was no room for loungers only chairs. Also, the spa is lacking a resting room, where you can go to relax and lay down in peace and quiet. It was impossible to dry my hair as there were only 4 hairdryers and these were in use and my treatment appointment was due. They also charged £4 for flip flops and failed to mention on booking confirmation to bring your own footwear, which I thought was a bit cheap of them, as all other spas I've been to include footwear with the robes, and especially double cheap of them because they gave slippers to hotel guests!

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank daniinuk

Dear daniinuk,

Thank you very much for posting your recent review.

I was very sorry to hear you felt the Spa was overcrowded. We do try our utmost to ensure all our guests can make maximum use of the facilities and I am disappointed you did not feel this was the case on the day of your visit with us. I will discussing the content of your review with our Spa Manager to investigate this matter in more detail.

I would also like to take this opportunity to thank you for your constructive feedback about the other elements of your time here with us.

Kind regards

Reviewed August 18, 2014

Recently enjoyed a one night stay at Rowhill Grange with my girlfriend for a weekend getaway and we both loved the hotel and left feeling happy and relaxed.

First impressions are great, the hotel is set in lovely grounds and gardens which are ideal for an afternoon stroll around. As explained on the hotel's website, do not follow the post code given under the address, but the alternative post code advised.

We stayed in one of the standard double rooms and couldn't fault it. Very spacious with all the amenities you could need. Toiletries given were great, as was the quality of the towels and robes. The bed is wonderfully comfortable. As mentioned in previous reviews, I imagine that during warm weather the rooms would become unbearably stuffy, luckily for us, the windy weather kept the room cool once we left the windows wide open.

We loved the rustic decor of the spa - meant to resemble Roman baths and whilst I can't be sure, I think they pulled it off rather well! Big whirlpool with smaller jet bath and large cool swimming pool meant the hours just rolled by. Didn't book a treatment beforehand and none were available on the day so you must book before arrival.

We ate at the Elements Bar & Lounge rather than RG's restaurant and found the food to be delicious and plentiful. Perhaps I'm not accustomed to 'fine dining' menus, but the RG's menu just seemed to be overly-complicated. The overall dining experience, food quality, service provided and value left us happy with our choice.

One thing that I was disappointed with was the price of the drinks. Whilst I understand that an establishment such as this, at such a close proximity to London, will always charge a premium for alcoholic drinks, I think they really were over-priced here, which is strange considering I felt that the food prices and the rate of the room itself represented decent value. I've worked in Kensington & Chelsea for the past few years and only in the hotels/clubs of Mayfair and Knightsbridge have I seen cocktails priced at £12.00.

A previous review stated that you can't bring your own drinks to the room and if you do you'll be charged a corkage fee. Whilst this is what's stated by the hotel, in reality this doesn't happen. We brought two bottles of wine to drink whilst in the room (out of sight in our bags whilst at check-in I should add), however, the maid visited for a turn-down service whilst at dinner with our bottles in plain view and nothing was said. We even asked for a bucket of ice from the bar when leaving dinner and a huge bucket was given with no questions asked!

Overall a good hotel & spa that I would have no reservations returning to. However, you do get what you pay for and I for the premium paid, I received what I expected.

Dear Bagel_Anyone,

I was delighted to hear how much you enjoyed your stay with us. I am sorry we were unable to accommodate your request for a treatment whilst you were with us. Please don't hesitate to contact us directly prior to your next visit and we will be very happy to assist and advise on any treatment requests you may have.

Once again, thank you very much for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Kind regards

Reviewed August 17, 2014

We went here for a sandwich side chips and coffee.It was very pleasant quite expensive though for the size of the food. It has been recently decorated so was clean and a pleasant ambience.The coffee wasn't anything to write home about but on the whole it was quite a good visit.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jan J
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dartford
5 mi away
4 mi away
Campanile Dartford
Campanile Dartford
#7 of 7 in Dartford

Been to Rowhill Grange Hotel & Utopia Spa? Share your experiences!