“Rowhill Grange Spa Hotel, Dartford”

Rowhill Grange Hotel & Utopia Spa
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Dartford
London, United Kingdom
“Rowhill Grange Spa Hotel, Dartford”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2013

Visited this hotel as I had bought a travelzoo voucher for an overnight stay with dinner and breakfast included, with full use of the spa facilities too. My daughter had recently turned 18 so it was a treat for us both. Staff at the hotel absolutely first class, could not do enough for you. Nothing was too much trouble. Spa staff were very nice and friendly and the massage therapists were excellent. Unfortunately at 6.00am we had the fire alarm go off which scared the living daylights out of us. Someone had been smoking in their room!!! A nice £100 charge to be added to their bill at the end of their stay!!! Didnt really get to walk around the grounds as weather wasn't too good but the whole area has a really peaceful, calm feel about the place. You would really think that the hotel didnt really have many guests it is that quiet. Just fabulous. Only 20 minutes away from us, don't know why I haven't visited more often but it is DEFINATELY on my list of things to do more often.

The food in the restaurant was absolutely fabulous. Nicest steak I have eaten for many many years. Restaurant staff were excellent and the whole place ran extremely efficiently. Without the travelzoo voucher dinner for myself and my daughter would have been about £70 but the voucher gave us £30 towards our meal. Not sure i would have paid £30 for the steak (which was the cost of it) had i not had the voucher but having now tasted it, i think i would. i would most DEFINATELY recommend this hotel to anyone. It is a good base to get to central London or to go the other way deep into Kent. Perfect really.

11 Thank bikerafter
James P, General Manager at Rowhill Grange Hotel & Utopia Spa, responded to this review, November 8, 2013
Dear bikerafter,
Thank you so much for posting your experience of Rowhill Grange.
I was thrilled to hear how much you and your Daughter enjoyed your stay with us and to read such positive comments about the team and our food offering.
We look forward to seeing you again very soon.
Best regards
James

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (213)
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2013 via mobile

The hotel room and the food in the Restaurant were both good but very expensive. The photos of the spa looked great but the facilities were very disappointing. The swimming pool is much smaller than it looks in the photo, the hydrotherapy pool was mediocre, the tiny jacuzzi was only big enough for 4 people, the steam room is small and was crowded and the separate male and female saunas were very small indeed. There were 2 very basic showers by the pool. I would rate the hotel & restaurant 4 stars but the spa only 1 star. We purchased a voucher which was supposed to be up to the value of £400 for 1 night BB&D but of this the dinner allowance was only £30 per person so the bill for 'extras came to over £250'.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank ChilledOut_9
Dear Reviewer,
Thank you for taking the time to publish your recent review of Rowhill Grange & Utopia Spa.
Whilst I was pleased to read your positive comments about the quality of the hotel and our food offering, I was somewhat disappointed to see your comments about the Spa, which is an area we usually receive many positive comments about.
We try our utmost to be transparent with all the packages we offer and I am very sorry if you felt there were unexpected costs when you left the hotel.
Once again, thank you for your feedback and if I can be of further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Aldershot, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2013

I bought a livingSocial voucher for this hotel, as I had wanted to try it for a while. I have to say it surpassed my expectations, we upgraded our room and stayed in the Rose Suite, it was wonderful, the bed was super comfy, the lounge spacious with good choices of decent tea/coffee. The Bathroom was a tad smaller than I expected, however it was fitted out beautifully.

I had pre booked massages for myself and my husband. these were brilliant and although the therapists are of both sexes, they were all incredibly proffessional. the spa pools and most of the spa area was lovely, (there are some re-decorations needed).

the grounds look stunning and I just wish the weather had been a little better so we could explore a bit more.

I would thoroughly recommend the place and will be trying to take a afew frineds for a girlie weekend away.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Debs H
Dear Reviewer,
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience of Rowhill Grange.
We were thrilled to hear how much you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you and your friends back in the very near future.
Best regards
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2013

Husband took me here for my 40th, we got a great deal via travel zoo and was upgraded by the hotel themselves for half price. Stayed in the Mulberry Suite where my only complaint was not having enough time to enjoy the bath as well as the shower! The room was spacious and well equipped, but we really needed more than 1 night to make full use of it. Wandering round in my dressing gown was such a scream and did not feel out of place, even took afternoon tea in it! The Spa was lovely and relaxing, just what my old bones needed! I had 2 treatments which had 20% off, I still found these a bit expensive, but it was a treat. I am waiting for more deals to come out so I can revisit as it was a great place with lovely staff.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a suite if you can, otherwise all rooms are lovely anyway.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
13 Thank Bezey
James P, General Manager at Rowhill Grange Hotel & Utopia Spa, responded to this review, October 22, 2013
Dear Bezey,

Thank you so much for sharing your recent experience of Rowhill Grange.
Myself and the rest of the team at the hotel were so pleased to hear how much your enjoyed your short stay with us.

We always offer great value with our seasonal packages and I would thoroughly recommend visiting our website to see which of our offers suits your requirements.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and we hope we are able to welcome you back in the very near future!

Rochester, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2013

Just a very nice place to relax,have some quiet time,rooms are lovely,very comfortable beds, an the grounds are worth a walk round. It was my Daughters 18th, an therefore,time for us to have quality time together. The spa was lovely, smaller than I thought,made it cosy! She loved the sauna,everywhere smelt lovely an calming!
The food was just perfect,my daughter is very fussy, was was willing to try something different. The duck on the lentils disappeared very quickly!lol she loved it so much,would eat it again tomorrow!
Breakfast was just lovely, nice way to end a perfect weekend,before the journey home.

Room Tip: Hydrangea all rooms named after flowers! Nice an quiet in that room :)
10 Thank Angela S
Kent
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2013

Pleasantly surprised by Rowhill Grange from the moment we turned into the driveway! We arrived on a sunny October afternoon and the grounds/venue looked stunning. Such a surprise after driving through a built-up residential area. Sad to say we could hear the hum of the motorway but RG is a little oasis of calm. Parking was easy and check-in pain-free. Our room, Hever, was spacious, thoughtfully decorated, clean and well-equipped (although we did have to ask for a hair dryer, which arrived within 10 mins).

After unpacking we decided to get our bearings and proceeded to the spa. We confirmed our appointments and then had a hot chocolate in the lounge. If you are a resident of the hotel the robes for the spa are provided in your room and are towelling, otherwise the spa provides thinner waffle robes. I think the spa should also provide flip flops as we'd forgotten to pack ours or at least sell them. Tricky when you've had a pedicure! The spa was busy but efficient and the treatments I had were all good (CACI, luxury manicure and pedicure over two days). Sadly there isn't a room in which to recline and relax other than the pool area.

We had dinner at 8pm in the restaurant. Disappointingly, both meal choices were not served piping hot. We didn't complain as we were both very hungry and tired. Relaxing is surprisingly tiring! Breakfast was great. We chose the full vegetarian option and it was hot and tasty. The service was also excellent at both diviner & brkfst. In fact all staff, without exception, were incredibly polite and helpful.

Our visit had been booked via a very good Travelzoo offer, which gave us 20% off all treatments and £30 each towards food. On checking out it is advisable to check that the discounts have been applied. The receptionist had to check on the full of price of our treatments to ensure the discount had been applied and when we were first presented with the bill it had not.

I loved the experience and next time I will be better prepared as I'd arrive before check-in at 3pm, in order to have lunch. I'd pack flip flops, sweat pants, t-shirts, a fleece, trainers and socks, plus something comfortable and smart for dinner.

I would definitely like to return.

Room Tip: I should imagine all the rooms are of a good standard. Ours was classed as 'standard' but i...
10 Thank LyndyLou13
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2013 via mobile

Yesterday I visited Rowhill Grange to enjoy afternoon tea with two friends; a favourite past time of mine. The hotel is well presented and upon arrival the staff were attentive and helpful. We were shown to our table and were presented with just two menus. No great issue arose from it, but it was slightly annoying. The setting was pleasant and had a classy feel to it though the piped music was horrendous (pop-opera) and not to my taste.

Our waiter came and collected our costs and took our orders. I am heavily pregnant and have a mustard intolerance and we had called ahead to let the hotel know as two of the sandwiches contained mustard. We reminded the waiter who, despite being pleasent, took a few goes to understand that I didn't want any mustard products on my sandwiches but the rest of the party did. I also asked if there were any non alcoholic alternatives to champagne but there wasn't, only basic fruit juices (orange, apple, pineapple). Again, not a huge problem but it would have been nice to be able to choose from a variety of beverages. We also weren't asked what tea we wanted, just whether we wanted tea or coffee. You can take a trip to Costa Coffee and they will still ask what tea you want!

Our tea and sandwiches turned up very well presented. The tea was two English breakfast twinings tea bags (with string) in a teapot. Hugely disappointing. Come on, invest in some loose leaf tea if you are going to offer an afternoon tea experience!!!
The sandwiches turned up, all plain despite our efforts to make it clear to the waiter. Also the pastries and cakes (which were beautiful) were lacking in numbers and two of the options only had two cakes between three of us.

The sandwiches were ok (for me) except the filing was not full; like I had the end finger where the ham didn't quite reach and so had the tiniest slither of meat. This was the same for the cucumber. Much to my disgust, the egg mayo clearly tasted of mustard and was nauseating. We brought these issues up with our waiter who apologised and rectified the situation by bringing our missing cakes and another round of sandwiches. He asked chef if he had put mustard in the egg mayo and he said not but my digestive tract and taste buds clearly disagree. Mustard is a common ingredient in mayonnaise and I have to be careful. I'm not allergic, just intolerant and so there are no huge health risks to eating mustard but the nausea stayed with me all afternoon. We got our new plate of sandwiches (I only got three fingers, because I said no egg) and we were told they were free of charge. Now, every single place I have visited for Afternoon Tea (and these are many places) comes and refills your sandwiches and scones free of charge. Am I to presume this is not the case at Rowhill Grange? A touch tight if so.

Our waiting staff were extremely attentive and polite. The cakes and scones were delicious and we had a super afternoon. The afternoon wasn't spoilt by the sandwiches or the poor selection of drinks (though I felt sick all afternoon and evening and maintain this was down to the mustard in the mayonnaise). I don't think I'd go back but I wouldn't tell to people not to go.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
7 Thank AmyMcEnroe
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you very much for taking the time to publish your review of Afternoon Tea here at Rowhill Grange.

Whilst I was pleased to read your positive comments about the presentation of the Tea and to hear how attentive and polite the team were, I was hugely disappointed that we appear to have slipped up on our attention to detail. Our service standards are an area we pride ourselves on and I am very sorry we did not recognise and action the information you had provided us with. Having made the Head Chef and our Restaurant team aware of your feedback, they would also like to be associated with my apology.

Once again, thank you for your constructive comments and if there is anything further I can be of assistance with, please do not hesitate to contact me.

James
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dartford
Alexander House Hotel & Utopia Spa
The Spa Hotel
The Spa Hotel
#1 of 14 in Royal Tunbridge Wells
Bridgewood Manor - QHotels
Brandshatch Place Hotel & Spa
Mercure Dartford Brands Hatch Hotel & Spa
DoubleTree by Hilton Dartford Bridge

Been to Rowhill Grange Hotel & Utopia Spa? Share your experiences!