“Not very welcoming” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Dartford
London uk
“Not very welcoming”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2013

We were put in a twin room with sofa bed that was really uncomfortable so needed the massage in the morning. Dinner was delicious couldn't fault it. When we went to check out we were asked for the vouchers again which we had left in our room, as our room had already been cleaned they had Been thrown away. we didn't realise the importants of them and was made to feel that we may have to pay again, if they are that important then why not take them when booking in.

• Stayed January 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
James P, General Manager at Rowhill Grange Hotel & Utopia Spa, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to post your recent review.

Whilst I was pleased to read your comments about the quality of our food offering, I was very disappointed to hear the mattress was not to your liking and that you did not feel welcomed by our Reception team.

Having read the content of your review, I will be following up your comments with our Front of House Manager and asking the team to ensure we ask for any vouchers on arrival at the hotel.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to post your review and if there is anything further I can be of assistance with, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

James

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (213)
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2013

Last year my firm booked the dinner dance and we were given favourable rates to encourage us to stay which included free breakfast which is worth £15 pounds pp. We checked when we could use the spa facilities which was from lunchtime on the day of arrival until 3.0pm on the next day. Everything was great!
This year we booked assuming that we had the same conditions as last year. It all started badly with the central reservations dept who insisted that we had to pay for breakfast even though I made it clear that I was with my firm. I also asked to be in a room close to my colleagues as two members of staff were sent to a separate building last year.
When my colleague and I arrived at lunch time we were told that our room would not be ready until 3.00pm and that we couldn’t use the spa facilities either! I was not happy as we were having to pay more and get less for our money.
When my colleagues arrived I discovered that they had not paid for breakfast so I went to complain. The receptionist was not able to sort this out without the involvement of the manager who was not available.
Our rooms were made ready earlier than expected and I then discovered that my room was on the floor above everyone elses so I was not happy! We only had 5 of 12 rooms on that floor. I asked if I could be moved but was told by the receptionist that they had to hold some double rooms! The hotel was virtually empty other than us. If you read other reviews one of the complaints is that the doubles are two twins zipped together. However, the manager assured me that this could not be done!
He promised that dressing gowns and slippers were now put in all our rooms as no-one had been given them. We had none in our room so had to phone for them then one of the pairs of slippers were man sizes! We enjoyed the spa. We did not overrun it as there was one couple and a lady with her 2 daughters. When showering in our room(Crocus) the shower went from hot to absolutely cold in a moment. My colleague thought there was something wrong when I screamed! The hairdryer only worked for 10 secs before it cut out so I had to phone for another one. I got it after some argument.
The dinner dance was good and the food excellent. The drink was very expensive- a small coke (400mls) was £2.
We had breakfast and were leaving at 11.00am check out time. My colleagues were there complaining that they were not allowed the spa. However, the receptionist finally agreed to the 3.00pm finish.
When I wrote to complain about the service I was told that we were only entitled to use the spa from 3.00pm to 11.00am and not the use of gowns! This is a hotel which sells itself as a spa hotel.
This was a very stressful stay due to poor reservation system and the inability of the staff to make sensible decisions and think creatively! They also need to pay more attention to equipment in their rooms. We were made to feel like 2nd class guests because we were not ‘spa’ guests. You have a choice-how would you like to be treated!!

Room Tip: Go s a spa guest!!!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2013

Went to this hotel with partner. It was very a relaxing and enjoyable stay. The spa facilities are well maintained and luxurious. We had an excellent meal in the restaurant in the evening and we were really impressed with the great service!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 683ruth
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to post your recent review of Rowhill Grange Hotel & Utopia Spa.

We were delighted to hear you enjoyed your time in the Spa and to learn how pleased you were with the service from the team here at the hotel. Please be assured that I will be sharing your kind comments with the rest of the team.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

england
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2013

My sister and I booked a relaxing Sunday spa overnight stay. We had in our stay, room, use of spa, dinner and breakfast. With 2 treatments in the spa, so it was good value. However when comparing with a neighbouring spa hotel Brandshatch, perhaps not.
On our arrival, the directions to the hotel very poor- previous comments re the sat nav made me phone the hotel and ask for the relevant postcode. You might have thought this would have prompted staff to advise the hotel is very set back and opposite a garage on the main road- so the journey wasn't very relaxing as we got lost.
At reception, we were made to stand for about 6 mins while there were 2 staff behind the desk, 1 serving, another perhaps working but who ignored us. Would it have taken any effort to put his head up and say, I'm busy but someone will be with you in a minute. Because there was no background music or any atmosphere, it was very awkward. Fortunately a passing member of staff took pity on us and served us. But we had to ask for our spa timetable.
On booking the spa, we couldn't book it until 3pm on the Sunday and could use the spa until 3pm on the Monday. Therefore we planned to go to blue water on the Sunday, I phoned ahead and asked for our treatment timetable, but was told they couldn't tell me as it was subject to change. I had to explain re our shopping plans and we didn't want to rush around or worse miss our treatment slot. Our dinner reservations were at 6pm, but the spa wasn't aware of this- if the depts don't talk to each other, when booking a spa weekend? When I expressed my concern, they moved us to the Monday but still couldn't confirm our timings until we arrived and then of course, we had to ask for the timetable- not really impressed.
The spa itself is calming, the massage one of the best I've had, thank you Becky. But there is no lounge room, unlike Brandshatch. The changing area, as others have commented is an open area, there is one small area with a pull across curtain, but with a number of lockers, for what appeared to be the members, so far from ideal. The showers were great and offered you chance to dry off in private. It didn't wow me though.
The room - lovely, unsure if we had an upgrade, if we had, you think they would have said, but then I got the impression the staff were feeling a bit battered and bruised.
While sitting in the lounge for dinner, which was great- could not fault the food- again, no atmosphere, so we couldn't help but overhear a member complaining to staff for about 20 minutes about how she wasn't going to renew in feb because of all the changes that had been made and due to the staffs recent lack of interest. The staff informed her, there was new management who did support the staff and weren't listening to them. Far from appropriate for us to listen too at all, let only for 20 mins. We overheard another member complaining on Monday, but they were taken to one side.
The dinner lounge, had crumbs on the chairs and the floor, I guess from people doing just what I did- brushed the crumbs on my seat onto the floor. Our table was set up, but a dishcloth stayed on a neighbouring table with bottle of cleaner throughout our meal, it wasn't used to clean the other tables.
There was a lack of handy hints, for example a hint for us to take the room robes to the spa, even though we had checked out of the room, would have been great. A hint they charge corkage, if you take your own bottle of wine for the room ! We like to have a drink while having a bath, testing ready for dinner. That your £30 voucher for food does not include service charge, even if you don't spend the full £30, it just gets lost.
Monday morning, we suffered with a lot of noise, due to a new kitchen floor being laid apparently.

Would I recommend, no I don't think I would, unless the improvements are made or the price of package dropped to reflect what your actually getting, the services of a 3 star hotel/spa.

I didn't say anything to staff about my disappointment while I was there, the atmosphere didn't allow and I didn't want everyone over hearing me, but then I wasn't asked either.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
James P, General Manager at Rowhill Grange Hotel & Utopia Spa, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for posting your recent review of Rowhill Grange Hotel & Utopia Spa.
I was sorry to hear of the difficulty you experienced whilst trying to locate the hotel and the lack of welcome on arrival in Reception. I agree entirely that you should most certainly have been acknowledged upon entering Reception.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the difficulties you experienced when trying to ascertain the timings of your treatments and for the inappropriate comments made by one member of the hotel team.

I would also like to take this opportunity to thank you for your positive feedback about the quality of your room and our food offering and for your kind comments about the massage performed by Becky – We will ensure your feedback is passed on to her.

If there is anything else I can be of assistance with, please do not hesitate contacting me directly.

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2013

We booked the New Year's Eve package as we fancied treating ourselves! We specifically upgraded our room from a Classic to a Luxury King at the additional cost of £40.00 to take advantage of the king size bed, separate bath and shower.

When we arrived at the Hotel and were taken up to our room, we were extremely disappointed. The room (Lily of the Valley) can only be described as in the attic and not only did it not have a king size bed (a tiny bed greeted us stuck in the middle of two walls) or bath, the shower wasn't even in a separate bathroom, it was behind a wall in the bedroom with a toilet in a cupboard. I showed my upset to the Luggage Porter and I was then asked to take my confirmation downstairs so they could see the room type we had booked - surely this should be on their records? The Front of House Manager asked me to show this to her on my phone which was extremely embarrassing as a. she couldnt read the small print and b. was making me feel like I wanted something for nothing. I only wanted what I had paid for. The Front of House Manager managed to find us another room which the Porter took us up to (Wild Rose) which I am guessing was a Luxury King Room (with two twin beds pushed together!) as it actually had a bathroom with a bath and shower. This really took the edge of what should have been a relaxing start to the day! No apology or sincerity from Front of House, very disappointing.

The Spa was lovely and the service we received in RG's for dinner was excellent. The team in there were superb! Breakfast, however, was below par as the bacon was dry and the poached eggs hard. My boyfriend ordered two other items which didnt arrive.

I emailed the GM to advise him of our disappointment and we received apologies but overall, we wouldn't stay at the Rowhill again or recommend to family and friends but would visit RG's.

Room Tip: Avoid Lily of the Valley!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Lucy T,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

Once again, please accept my apologies for the issue experienced on arrival at the hotel. I was very sorry to hear you would not wish to stay with us again, but hope we are able to welcome you back to RG’s in the near future.

london
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2013

We checked in at 3pm & I found all the staff in the reception to be very friendly and helpful. Our bags were carried to our room and we went down to the swimming pool and Jacuzzi. The swimming pool is a nice size and the decor is lovely.

Dinner was booked for 7.30pm and we were greeted with Champagne on Arrival, the restaurant area was lovely. We had a 5 course dinner which was delicious; the food was really good and beautiful presentation. The desserts were amazing too! All the waiters were great and we didn't feel rushed at all. I really enjoyed my stay the rooms were clean and spacious, they was very hot though!

The only down side of this trip was the breakfast in the morning, I was very disappointed and its a shame because I would have rated this trip 5/5, but we ordered traditional breakfast off the menu and we had to wait over 30 minutes for breakfast to arrive, my teapot was cold by the time it arrived and when it did arrive I have a hair on my bacon! The sausages looked very rare, another couple next to us complained that the sausages were pink and they cooked the sausage again for them. It was very off putting. I asked for Ketchup and never got it. I think there wasn't enough staff working. The scrambled eggs were very buttery, not enjoyable. The only plus side was the hash browns, and I was glad they had a buffet with croissants etc otherwise I would have had to skip breakfast! I feel like there was a completely different service in the morning.

Other than that I did really enjoy the trip and found all the staff very pleasant. I would stay again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2013 via mobile

We booked in with another couple for the New Year's Eve celebrations are were very disappointed. The hotel itself is very tired looking with dirty carpet throughout and threadbare chairs in the bar area. Tables were dirty and there was no draft beer available in the hotel although they provided it in the out building but not possible to bring to main bar. The rooms were ok but we had paid extra for the king size rooms and these were not up to the quality experienced elsewhere. The rooms were also very hot with no way to turn the heating down. The champagne reception was purely a small glass of champagne whilst you sit in the bar and then people were called through by table into the restaurant. Usually for New Year there is a party atmosphere and everyone eats at the same time with crackers and party poppers etc. This was just a meal for 4 in their restaurant with no sign of a celebration. The food was very good and the service at dinner was very attentive. After dinner we asked where the party was and were directed outside and into another building for the disco. There had been another gathering here earlier so all the tables and chairs were already taken. Despite paying over £450 per couple without drink we had no where to sit or put our belongings for the evening. The piper was heard at the champagne reception although he was very amusing when he tried to stay in tune! But if he was there at midnight ( as advertised) to pipe in the New Year, he must have done it very quietly. We have previously been to Chilston Park for New Year which was completely different and we will be returning there in future. Rowhill Grange was a let down and certainly not worth the money.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dartford
Alexander House Hotel & Utopia Spa
The Spa Hotel
The Spa Hotel
#2 of 14 in Royal Tunbridge Wells
Bridgewood Manor - QHotels
Mercure Dartford Brands Hatch Hotel & Spa
Brandshatch Place Hotel & Spa
DoubleTree by Hilton Dartford Bridge

Been to Rowhill Grange Hotel & Utopia Spa? Share your experiences!