“Red letter day spa/hotel stay”

Rowhill Grange Hotel & Utopia Spa
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Dartford
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
“Red letter day spa/hotel stay”
Reviewed November 11, 2012

Hotel is a country retreat nearby to bluwater and London. There is a single track that leads to the house/spa. Lots of wooded areas and has a professional service. Very relaxing, Although there appears to be building work being the restraunt area this was not intrusive.

Room Tip: The attic rooms have low sloping sides so tall people watch out especially when making tea need to s...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank David P

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (227)
Bexhill-on-Sea, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 9, 2012

My husband and I were given a voucer for a Spa Day at the Rowhill Grange as a Christmas present last year. We spent a fantastic day there in June and treated ourselves to 2 treatments each. The 2-course lunch that was part of the Spa Day was absoutely lovely, and we treated ourselves to a champagne afternoon tea on the terrace at the end of the day, which I would defintely recommend. I was very impressed with the staff there who all made the day very special, especially the girl who did the reflexology - she has an amazing gift - and I left the reflexology room floating on air! We would love to go back there again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Sleepy59
London
Reviewed November 8, 2012

I stayed here recently with my husband to celebrate a friend's 60th birthday.
Our room (Tigerlilly - they are all named after flowers) was beautiful and very spacious and clean.
The birthday meal was faultless and the staff on duty couldnt do enough for us.
Unfortunatley the weather was not kind so we were unable to appreciate the extensive grounds or sit out on the terrace but it all looked picturesque!
I felt that this hotel was aimed more for spa breaks and was not really suitable for families as children are not allowed to use the pool or to eat in the restaurant in the evening but it suited us and i would like to return for afternoon tea which looked amazing.
The only slight down feature was the bar which we found quite cold and uncomfortable it could perhaps do with a bit of a make over to ensure that it is more welcoming but other than that i would recommend this hotel and would certainly stay again in the future.

Room Tip: You dont need to pay for the upgrade to get a really nice room
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank ElainePatricia
kent
Reviewed November 5, 2012

I stayed at Rowhill in September, I booked it as a surprise for my husbands birthday, check in was quick,room was very nice, we where staying two nights, meal first night was very good quite expensive but food was good.
Had organised champagne for husbands birthday breakfast which arrived and was very good. Then we went on to have our spa treatments, not very informative when we arrived at spa, we hadn't taken our dressing gowns from the room,they are quite thick and cumbersome, so thought we would be given some from the spa, not as easy has you would think!!! Got one in the end though. Went down to use the pools, they had NO dry towels or slippers for us, had to wait whilst some where found, did find this frustrating, oh and make sure you ask how to use the lockers no info on them, the pool areas do need a bit of an update, the air vent above the lower pool was full of black fluff when I looked up from the massage beds around the pool.
Our treatments were really good couldn't fault them at all, only a few things let's it down.
Our meal that night was also really good, there was five of us and the cake they got my husband was nice and the rendition of happy birthday was a nice touch.
The hotel is very good, found the spa to be a bit in need of a face lift, the bar areas had a nice atmosphere.

Room Tip: At the back, they do weddings and can get a bit noisy if your at the front.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank lovedubaikent
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 30, 2012

Stayed at rowhill grange taking advantage of the Sunday night spa package and found it to be one of the most friendly hotels i have ever stayed in.
The hotel was extremely busy thus an excellent atmosphere in all public areas. The room was of a very high standard and spotlessly clean. Dinner in the restaurant was amazing!!! I had the duck and my partner had the fillet and both of us agreed it was the best meal we had ever eaten. the ambiance in the bar and restaurant was just right and the service was excellent.
breakfast was again fantastic.
(one thing you may like to know is not to pay the service charge!!! One of the staff explained a written gratuity on the bill would be passed fully to the waiters and not to the other departments)

visited the spa and found it to be an extremely calm and relaxing environment. I personally think the decor adds to the roman style the hotel are trying to achieve.

check out was fast and efficient.

Overall i would almost certainly return to this hotel in the not to distant future. Also, i would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a romantic getaway, girly night or even a spa break which they do.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank duryss
James P, General Manager at Rowhill Grange Hotel & Utopia Spa, responded to this review, November 1, 2012
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your review of Rowhill Grange and Utopia Spa.

I was delighted to read you positive comments about the quality of your accommodation and our Food & Beverage offering.

I was particularly pleased to read your kind comments about the friendliness and high level of service received from the members of the team you came into contact with. Please accept my reassurances that I will be sharing the content of your review with the rest of the team here at the hotel.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Kind regards

James
london
Reviewed October 30, 2012

I went for a spa day with my niece and sister in law. The hotel and grounds are beautiful and well known to me as i have been going there over 25 years. It is the first time i have been to the spa. The receptionist at the spa was very friendly and professional. We were shown were the changing rooms are and how to use the lockers etc. The spa and pool were nice however there were no lay down loungers (My gym Reynolds in Bexley there are heated loungers).There was no light in the steam room so pitch black which wasn't pleasant. We all three has a body massage which was really just rubbing cream into your back! I got the impression that the lady that massaged me was not really a massager. The facial was ok but really nothing special. I didnt feel the therapists were truely loving their job. Also the room where i had the facial was freezing cold as the heating wasn't working although therapist did cover me up with loads of blankets. We had dinner and the service was good the food, although not a great deal was nice but what you would expect in a package.
The changing room was not really well designed as the area where you get changed is the walkway through to the spa area so you had to keep moving out the way any time anyone wanted to walk past. All in all we had a lovely day but I do think there is room for improvement.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Sittingbourne, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 29, 2012

Was really looking forward to a relaxing spa afternoon at a luxury hotel. There was nothing luxurious about Rowhill Grange. The poor signage entering the hotel led to instant confusion about where to go. The carpark was full of cones and general rubble, not the best of introductions. The door on entering the hotel was jammed, only to be pulled open by a less than enthusiastic staff member. He directed us wrongly to the bar to be signed in instead of the spa. Staff seemed generally quite confused about where to go etc. A lack-lustre greeting was given at the spa reception. We were not offered robes or footwear but given old discoloured gowns and towels and simply told how to use the lockers. We weren't shown any of the facilities. Again signage was poor to the very disappointing pools etc. The sauna was tiny and had no water to put on the coals. The decor was shabby in the changing rooms, pool area and restaurant. We likened the restaurant area to some sort of Peter Stringfellows bar, hardly health and fitness. The afternoon tea was poor and the cakes old. The tea was tasteless. Not once were we asked if everthing was okay. The facial was okay but a fire alarm went off during it which didn't really help with relaxation. Needless to say we won't be returning.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
6 Thank A W
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to post your recent review of Rowhill Grange and Utopia Spa.
I was extremely disappointed to read your feedback and would like to apologise for the issues you describe.

Please accept my apologies for the initial impressions of the hotel. We are currently undergoing some construction works and have tried wherever possible to minimise any disruption to our guests. It is unfortunate we have had to section off a small area of the car park with cones during these works to allow access to the site and do appreciate that whilst these items are essential, they are not visually pleasing.

I would also like to take this opportunity to apologise for the welcome received at both our main Reception and the Spa. Our top priority is to provide all our customers with a high level of customer care, however; I recognise that on your visit, we have not performed to our usual high standard. Please accept my reassurances that I have spoken with our Spa Manager, who would also like to be associated with my apology.

In terms of your comments about the décor, I would confirm that the hotel is subject to a rolling programme of decorative works and am very sorry the style of decoration was not to your liking.

I have looked into your comments about the quality of your Afternoon Tea and would once again like to offer my sincere apologies. Please accept my reassurances that all our cakes are freshly baked in house. Our Tea selection is currently based Twinings blends and again I am sorry these were not to your liking.

I was pleased to hear you were satisfied with your facial and am sorry for any disturbance caused by the fire alarm caused, although I am sure you can appreciate the circumstances surrounding the activation of the fire alarm were beyond the control of the team on duty during your visit.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to pass on your constructive feedback and if there is anything further I can be of assistance with, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Kind regards

James
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dartford
Alexander House Hotel & Utopia Spa
The Spa Hotel
The Spa Hotel
#2 of 14 in Royal Tunbridge Wells
DoubleTree by Hilton Dartford Bridge
Brandshatch Place Hotel & Spa
Bridgewood Manor - QHotels
Mercure Dartford Brands Hatch Hotel & Spa

Been to Rowhill Grange Hotel & Utopia Spa? Share your experiences!