“A wonderful stay!”

Rowhill Grange Hotel & Utopia Spa
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Dartford
“A wonderful stay!”
Reviewed September 27, 2011

First impressions always count and my partner and I were very impressed. Driving into the hotel was lovely the main building looked lovely from the outside and the gardens were very well kept. Our check-in was simple and very easy, unfortunately I cannot remember the name of the gentleman on reception, he was very kind and welcoming and also glad to help in any way he could. We were escorted to our room and our luggage was carried for us, he then showed us through to our room and took the pleasure to turn all our lights on and explained all we needed to know. This was a very nice touch to the beginning of our stay. My only fault is that I had specifically requested for the bill not to be disclosed in front of my partner - which it frustratingly was right at the beginning.

Our room was delightful. My partner especially was impressed with the warm, homely classical décor instead of the cold, boring modern contemporary interior we are used to with hotels. The bathroom was wonderful we were astonished by the size. The Roll top bath was completely fabulous we adored this beautiful feature. We were also very happy with all the available amenities the room offered i.e.. TV, Dvd player, Ipod dock. Also the Complimentary water! My only fault would be the shower seemed a bit dated and could do with a revamp to make it in touch with the rest of the room.

We headed to the Utopia Spa before dinner as we assumed it would be quiet at this time, which it was we basically had the Spa to ourselves which was of course was great! We were greeted by a lovely young girl who again was very welcoming and happy to help (again terrible with names) The spa was delightful and again we were very impressed! Hopefully next time we will get the pleasure of actually having a treatment!

We decided to eat in RG's Restaurant. The service was great and I feel ashamed to again not to have taken note of our host's name as he gave us the most fabulous service, nothing seemed of too much trouble. The food was of good quality I myself had the Duck and my partner had the Mixed grill. I would say that the portions were seemingly quite small however, they were delicious and we enjoyed it very much so. Our dining experience did take a small downhill turn. As the night slowly went on we seemed to be left to ourselves and we didn’t see a member of staff for at least 15 minutes at one point. Then when we did see a waiter/host he was running around and gushing with sweat - highly off putting. A couple sat next to us had enjoyed there meal and the 'sweaty' waiter brought them over a lovely looking desert with a special message written on the plate in chocolate 'Happy Anniversary' it was very sweet and a kind gesture that the kitchen had taken the time out to give the couple next to us something extra to make their meal that little it more special. I wondered too if myself and my partner would get the same as we too were celebrating our Anniversary. We didn’t which was unfortunate and a little disappointing as I think my partner had seen this and was then expecting the same. I didn’t mention this to our host as it was slightly embarrassing to ask 'do we get the Happy Anniversary sweet too' and also isn't so much a surprise when having to ask for it. We then had to wait a little more time until we were able to leave as we were not sure if we had to sign anything to the room or pay separately, there was no member of staff around. We eventually found our host and left the restaurant.

We had a delightful nights sleep and the bed was to die for so soft and comfortable!

In the morning we awoke for breakfast headed down to the restaurant. We were greeted by a very stroppy miserable guest, who we couldn’t help but laugh at as its so irritating to watch people be so negative towards people who are there to help you. We felt sorry for whoever would have had to deal with her. Anyway, we felt the breakfast service was unfortunately slightly understaffed and quite slow. We wanted to have our breakfast and go back up to the room in order to make the most of it! By the time we got to order our breakfast the table next to us had already ordered and received their breakfast and they had sat down at the same time as us. We again felt that the portion was small for a traditional breakfast 1 item of each is inadequate for the amount paid for the rooms. Having said that it was delicious!

To conclude, we were very happy with our stay and we will certainly be back again. I would like to say that your staff are a wonderful asset to the hotel. Everyone made us feel completely welcome and there was always a smile upon their faces. A smile goes a long way. Nothing was of too much trouble for anyone. The hotel was lovely a simple delight a truly hidden treasure. I will of course be recommending this wonderful place to all I know.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Mulberry Suite which was lovely, bathroom very romantic.
1 Thank Rebecca S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (226)
Tenterden, Kent
Reviewed September 25, 2011

Booked a 1 night getaway (full English package). Arrived early and was pleased to find room available. However the reception staff had a good moan to us that a very demanding wedding party had arrived. I didn't need to know this and it was very unprofessional. Room (hibiscus) was fine but certainly not worth the rack rate. Had a tasty lunch on the terrace before using spa. The spa I found was very overated! It looked tired and the facilities are in need of refurbishing! The waiter brought out the wrong afternoon tea order - only a minor irritation. The major irritation came at RG grill restaurant; we were left waiting over 20 minutes for our dessert order! No one came, even though the restaurant was not at capacity. We lost interest and left only to be chased down by an apologetic head waiter and offered a free coffee and liquer. In summary this hotel is overpriced and has become very complacent. You can get a better fry up from a hospital canteen for a fraction of the cost - one misely rasher of bacon is just appalling!

• Stayed September 2011
1 Thank Mattthedocoli
I-Heath, General Manager at Rowhill Grange Hotel & Utopia Spa, responded to this review, September 26, 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for adding your review to Tripadvisor.

Please accept my apologies for any adverse comment made by one of our employees on your arrival. As you would expect we are dealing with this situation and take this extremely seriously.

I was naturally concern to read of your disappointment with the service we provided to you at dinner. I am pleased we tried to rectify the situation once we had realised that you had mistakenly been overlooked but understand that this was not taken.

Whilst you may have feelings of complacency, I can assure you that this is not the case and certainly not the view of most of our customers.

I do hope you received my email apology following the feedback on your guest questionnaire.

Kent
Reviewed September 23, 2011

My husband and I have just got back from a Spa day at Rowhill to celebrate our 1st wedding anniversary. We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves in the therapy pool, hot tub, swimming pool and steam room and we liked the Roman decor. All of the staff were helpful, friendly and polite.

A few things let it down, and I'd give it 3.5 stars if I could. First of all, I booked 1 hour facials for both of us and checked to make sure we would have the facials together. On arrival, we were informed that my husband's would be 2 - 3pm and mine would be 3:30 - 4:30pm due to staff shortage. I don't think a couple booking a delux spa day together should be expected to spend the afternoon alone, so I had to change our treatments to 25 minute facials (which were very pleasant).

We were waiting around for about 30 minutes on arrival as there was only one girl checking people in and showing them around. However, tea/coffee and (very sugary) flapjacks were provided.

Unfortunately the lunch was not very nice. The batter on my husband's fish was rock hard and could not be cut with a knife. If you hit someone on the head with it you'd knock them out! My pannini was also unpleasant as it was soggy inside, plus the kettle chips on the side were a bit soft. We didn't bother complaining though as it was just about edible. I did notice that the lady on the table next to us ordered the pork with rice and left about 2/3 of it, so I assume that wasn't nice either. We decided to compensate by ordering a chocolate torte, and this tasted like a pound of butter mixed up with a pound of sugar with a bit of cocoa powder thrown in - it mostly just tasted like sugar.

The restaurant area is nice and bright, but let down by tatty old table mats (mine also needed a bit of a wipe to get rid of some crumbs probably left over from breakfast).

We both had back massages and asked for the "relaxing" version. My husband really enjoyed his, but mine wasn't that pleasant as when the girl pushed down on my back it felt as though my windpipe was being compressed and I couldn't seem to adjust myself to avoid this, plus the pushing along the knots in my shoulders was not relaxing at all.

The ladies changing rooms were pretty good but my husband said that the gentleman's was covered in towels that people had chucked all over the place and that someone had taken the tops off of the toiletries so they could scoop stuff out with their fingers. (That's men for you)

Overall though, this is a very attactive looking hotel with good spa facilities. Despite the above, we would go again but probably just to use the pools etc.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for adding your review to Tripadvisor.

I am sorry that we had to alter your treatment times following an unusually high level of staff sickness. Whilst we do not guarantee treatment times until the day for such circumstance, we would still always endeavour to schedule treatments times together for couples and groups however this was not possible on this occasion. I am pleased that we were able to alter your treatment choices to accommodate your request.

On arrival at Utopia all guests are seated in the lounge area prior to entering the spa. This gives guests the time to relax from their journey, enjoy some refreshments, order lunch and complete a medical questionnaire. This is generally for 30 minutes.

I was naturally concern to read of your disappointment with the lunch served to you. This is very unusual and I can assure you that had we known at the time this would have been rectified without question. Our food offering is generally very well received. Our current two course lunch and glass of wine for £15.00 has been an enormous success with extremely positive feedback and am very surprised that you did not have the same opinion for which I apologise.

I am glad that this has not put you off visiting us again and would be only to pleased to personally oversee a future reservation with us.

london
Reviewed September 20, 2011

If you order a sandwich late at night,ask for James to make it.Best sandwich ive ever eaten in my life.He should be a chef.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed September 15, 2011

Stayed here for one night as a spa break getaway. Fantastic value for money, we had a deal for £150 per person incl bed and breakfast plus £30 allocation towards dinner (each) which covered the cost of our meals (except wine). Fantastic spa and have to say the best facilities I have seen in a while. Beautiful rooms and very very clean overall. Had one of the best massages here I have had in my life (after I told the massage therapist to go a bit stronger).

Very easy to get to from Swanley train station - £7 cab ride

If I had to come up with something negative to say I would add that if raining it might be a bit inconvenient to stay in the guesthouse which is separated from the main building.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 6, 2011

Stayed with my wife for one night, some form of electrical sub station outside our bedroom window. Constant irritable sound whole night, approached reception staff next day and an very apathetic attitude from them. In a nut shell they don’t really try very hard as an establishment it is punching above its weight. It looks very pleasant but just doesn’t have the credibility.

1 Thank Seamus M
I-Heath, General Manager at Rowhill Grange Hotel & Utopia Spa, responded to this review, September 23, 2011
Dear Guest

Thank you for adding your review to Tripadvisor.

I am sorry that you had a sleepless night and for the impression you left us with after mentioning this to our reception team.

This is very unusual; I receive numerous positive comments on the friendliness of the team every week and certainly not the thoughts of many of our guests.

Naturally had we known of the disturbance at the time we would have made every effort to resolve the problem or give you an alternative room to sleep in.

I would hope that this has not put you off staying with us again and would like to offer to personally oversee a future stay with us to ensure your complete satisfaction.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed September 5, 2011

We married at Rowhill in September 2002 and have since moved to Australia - on a recent trip back to the UK we booked in for a Spa break and to also stay in the Groombridge suite again - we had the most wonderful stay, the staff (as always) are so unbelievable helpful and genuinely friendly - Rowhill will always be special to us and we hope to return again when we are next back from Down Under.

Room Tip: All rooms are fabulous but if you get the chance, then the Groombridge is sensational
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dartford
Alexander House Hotel & Utopia Spa
The Spa Hotel
The Spa Hotel
#2 of 14 in Royal Tunbridge Wells
DoubleTree by Hilton Dartford Bridge
Bridgewood Manor - QHotels
Brandshatch Place Hotel & Spa
Mercure Dartford Brands Hatch Hotel & Spa

Been to Rowhill Grange Hotel & Utopia Spa? Share your experiences!