“Awful Christmas lunch!”

Cuisines: International
London, United Kingdom
“Awful Christmas lunch!”
Reviewed December 17, 2011

8 adults and 6 children Christmas lunch Dec 2010.
This was our 4th or 5th visit for Christmas lunch, so we thought we knew what to expect...a lovely meal with great service! How wrong we were!!
We were told when booking that we were in for a treat this year as the restaurant was under new management.
I'll try to keep this short, but in general the service was awful, we waited ages for plates to be cleared after each course, wine was just plonked at the end of the table. The salt and pepper grinders were broken and we were told they didn't have any others. We had to ask for plates to be replenished at the carvery. The cheese looked very sorry for itself and we had to ask for new cheeses to be put out. My father and I had the steak from the carvery and it was so tough you couldn't cut through it.
Father Christmas is of course a big highlight of the afternoon for the children, but he was dire! He couldn't speak English very well and had a huge pair of dirty trainers on, he didn't enage the children, just handed them a present as he passed by.
We asked for our coffee and mince pies to served in the hotel lounge and were told that there was a charge for coffee and mince pies, I then had to draw the maitre D's attention to the menu where it clearly stated that coffee and mince pies were included in the price we had paid.
We didn't complain at the time, as we were with my parents who had paid for this as a treat for us and we didn't want to spoil an already disappointing lunch.
I complained throughout January, various emails and telephone calls later we were offered a 10% refund, considering we paid £800+ for this lunch I said that I was insulted by this offer...and I never heard from them again despite various calls/emails.
We will not be going here again for Christmas lunch, which is a shame because past years have been exceptional.

• Visited January 2011
2 Thank shashaKent

Grantham, United Kingdom
“excellent”
Reviewed November 20, 2011

had the buffet evening meal.3 courses for £15...couldnt ask for more...soup starter meitteranean veg soup was excellent,followed by the steamed hake and prawns in white wine sauce....should have had a bit more as it waas that good

Visited November 2011