“Relaxed atmosphere with very cordial service and good food.”

Laughing Buddha Chinese Restaurant
Cuisines: Chinese, Asian
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Delivery, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: No longer trading
West Malling, United Kingdom
“Relaxed atmosphere with very cordial service and good food.”
Reviewed February 2, 2013

Went to the Laughing Buddha on a Saturday evening. First visit. Pleasantly surprised by the whole experience. Good food, very pleasant staff going that extra bit to ensure that we were comfortable and well looked after and superb desert to top it off. The chef visited our table which is always nice, especially on a Saturday evening. Served us a complimentary desert which was a magic mix of 5 different chocolate/coffee textures - fantastic. Overall, a very pleasant evening with good food. Would recommend as one of the best Chinese restaurants in Maidstone.

• Visited February 2013

maidstone
“Dreadfull food and they don't care.”
Reviewed February 1, 2013

I had a takeaway from here on New Year's Eve, I am a chef and usually work NYE. The delivery arrived at the time stated and I was delighted to note that the lid of the pot containing the salt and pepper squid had been pierced so that the squid remained crispy. This was sadly the highlight of the whole ghastly experience.
Firstly let me say that the egg fried rice, chicken chow mein (for my 5 year old daughter) and hot & sour soup were all ok. Not special but edible. The S & P squid was cut into tiny pieces and covered in 3 times it's own weight of batter. Over-fried and over salted (yes I know it has "salt" in it's name but heavy-handed doesn't begin to describe it)

The rest of the order is where things got really bad. Mixed Seafood with green peppers in black bean sauce. Soggy flaccid bits of defrosted ocean creatures in watery grey liquid with a couple of bits of black bean bobbing about. The green pepper was ok. Stir fried beef with seasonal vegetables, horrible horrible meat, so grey that it must have been the 51st shade, over-fried, bland grey veg and all sloshing about in the same thin grey liquid as the squid. A dish of mixed vegetables was mostly tinned yes tinned bean sprouts, they hadn't even rinsed the brine off!!

Everything bar the rice, soup and chicken chow mein went in the bin.

I didn't ring to complain as I wanted to speak to them face to face and really let them know how disappointed I was. I only really cheered up some 5 hours later when I watched the London Fireworks.

I went in to complain a couple of weeks later when I had the time. My comments where ignored and no apology or refund has been offered.

The terrible thing about having takeaways delivered is that the scoundrels have got your money before you can check the quality. Lesson learned. Avoid at all costs.

1 Thank thelegendparksie
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Left a bad taste in my mouth.”
Reviewed January 24, 2013 via mobile

I only had delivery but ordering over the phone took ages , the order in complete when it arrived and the food tasteless and not very good. Left a strange taste in my mouth and defantly won't eat from there again.

Maidstone, United Kingdom
“Remarkable Restaurant.”
Reviewed January 11, 2013

Went for dinner, expected a cliche chinese restaurant. Experienced chinese heaven. Food was exceptional, food presentation outstanding. Staff were smart and on point. Timing was great. The reasonable price you pay only understates the service and food you receive.

• Visited January 2013
Maidstone, England, United Kingdom
“Excellent Service”
Reviewed January 11, 2013

The service was good, the food was good, everything was just perfect for my friend's birthday celebration. The staffs were really friendly as well. We all had an amazing night. Definitely a place to check out. :)

• Visited December 2012