“A lovely retreat”

Ranked #7 of 15 Hotels in Maidstone
Brentwood, United Kingdom
“A lovely retreat”
Reviewed December 22, 2013

I was recommended to stay here by a friend. I would definitely stay here again. I stayed in a single room as it was a business related visit but I would visit again with my wife. It is in a beautiful setting and there is a warm and friendly atmosphere. The room was well appointed and the whole experience was one I hope to repeat. The breakfast was top quality and cooked personally, you could tell that the owners care about the quality of your stay.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
EmmaT_8, Owner at Detling Coachhouse, responded to this review, February 11, 2014
Thank you for you lovely review. It is always nice to hear that our guests are happy during their stay.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 19, 2013

After sampling a number of hotels and B&B's in the area, I was recommended to stay at the detling coach house by an acquaintance of mine. I was initially bowled over by the beautiful picturesque country-side setting, simply stunning. Despite the rural setting the B&B is conveniently located only a few minutes away from the M20.

upon my arrival I was greeted warmly by owner Emma, who escorted me to my room. The room was a great size, the bed comfy with lovely and clean en-suite facilities. I asked Emma and her husband (who I met later) for local restaurant recommendations and they really couldn't have been more friendly or helpful.

My night sleep couldn't have been more peaceful, partly due to the comfy bed and quiet rural surroundings. I could have stayed in bed all morning, however unfortunately I had to work.

I made my way down to the breakfast room for 7am and was welcomed warmly by husband Pan who ran through the menu options. I opted for a freshly cooked-to-order full English breakfast and whilst I waited helped myself to cereal. The cooked breakfast was quite simply amazing. I've breakfasted at a number of hotels and this breakfast has surpassed them all. Quality ingredients, eggs cooked how I asked, hot and just REALLY good. They really did everything possible to make sure I enjoyed my meal, offering more tea and toast when I ran out and generally being on-hand when I wanted, yet not fussing annoyingly.

I left the B&b feeling well rested, fed and ready for my day. In short - Clean, cozy, attention to detail, friendly, great food, brilliant location and excellent value. Definitely coming back!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Doncaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 6, 2013

We had been over to Calais and wanted a room near to the motorway, at a reasonable rate. We booked this via Booking.com at short notice and paid £49.50 for B&B.
The location was excellent for us, 5 mins from M20 but in a very quiet and picturesque setting with ample parking. The building is obviously very old and quaint, but with that also, comes limitations.
We were welcomed by the owner who showed us to our room, which was on the ground floor, immediately next to the front door, to the right. It was a double room, with ensuite shower. We were asked if we would like a cup of coffee or tea, although there is kettle in the room, which is a nice touch. We were informed there was a folder with local info and wifi code in the room. Also, asked if we needed any info about local area. Also, ordered breakfast for 9am, the next morning. Wi fi code was not in the room, but we were provided with it, upon request AND the wi fi was the quickest we have experienced without breaks.
Room was not the warmest, heated with an electric heater, but it did warm up throughout the night. The en suite was a little 'damp' feeling, and there was a small slug on the outer wall, which hubby removed. However, one assumes this is due to the age of the building. Nice shower, toilet flush not the most powerful, but again, obviously there are some issues here with the water pressure. So okay for us. There were beams on the ceiling but there were also cobwebs on them, which need cleaning.
Breakfast was okay, good selection, nice thick bread to toast. Coffee in flask, was luke warm but there was nescafe and hot water, if needed. Weren't asked what we wanted for our cooked breakfast, so received fried eggs. However, quality of produce was obvious - good bacon and sausage used. Very tasty.
Would have been a 5 if:
1: Check out was 11am not 10am.
2: There had been a fridge in the room.
3: For a 'luxury B&B', I would expect little extras eg: king sized bed, bathrobe, matching coat hangers, coasters etc.
However, for the price we paid, this was excellent VFM and I would return and recommend.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Southend-on-Sea, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 28, 2013

A lovely looking B&B with fantastic surroundings. Absolutely beautiful. But just a small downfall... the room we stayed in, the heating system had broken and where the door had been kept shut from the rest of the house, the room was freezing! They gave us a small fan heater but it look a while to heat up. Breakfast in the morning was amazing. We had a full English Breakfast. The Owners very friendly and accommodating. Would highly recommend this place.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Amy_Saunders
Southampton, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 13, 2013

Friends and I used this accommodation for our yearly reunion, renting out several rooms for the night. I had a single room with en suite. The proprietors made us very welcome and gave us the feeling that nothing was too much trouble for them.

The stay was very relaxing from beginning to end. The coach house is very atmospheric, cosy and the beds extremely comfy - I have never slept so well away from home before.

The location would make an excellent stop off en route to Dover.

Fabulous food in the pub down the road although you need a car to get there and back really. Brilliant selection at breakfast with no interference from the proprietors enabling us to have a really unhurried chat and catch up.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 3, 2013

We stayed at Detling Coach House on our way to and from France and cannot recommend it highly enough. The service was excellent as is the location, convenient for the motorway and channel ports, the many historic sites and beautiful countryside, in fact something for everyone. The gardens are a delight Our room was comfortable and well appointed, breakfast was lovely and we very much hope to stay here again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 18, 2013

stayed for one night while we were rubbing shoulders with famous musicians down the road at maidstone studios. when we arrived we were loitering about in the lobby until we managed to get the attention of the owners (our own fault for not ringing the doorbell, although it was raining heavily) we were escorted to our room and offered a tea or coffee, which was promptly presented with a couple of complimentary chocolate digestives, a very nice touch indeed. the room, while ever so slightly small was perfect for our single night stay. clean towels, neatly lay waiting on the end of a very comfortable and clean double bed. the bathroom facilities were excellent and we were warned prior to use about the water pressure issue which meant there is a very short delay before water flowed from the taps. I did turn the tap fully, confused, waiting until a forceful gush of H20 sprinkled all over my floral shirt (Mr Bean style) again this was my own fault as I had been made aware but a tiny bit irritating none the less. the owners were extremely helpful and went out of their way to help us around the town of maidstone. I could not thank them enough for their insight, reassurance and gratuitous favours. a fine establishment that I would highly recommend.

• Stayed September 2013