“our wedding venue”

Ranked #10 of 15 Hotels in Maidstone
Isle of Sheppey, United Kingdom
“our wedding venue”
Reviewed December 10, 2013

we had our wedding on sunday the 8th and i also stayed with my dad and my mates the night of the 7th.

all i can say from start to finish what a fantastic place for the wedding the staff were amazing and did everything and anything they could to help us in anyway possible, before and after the big event. the food ( and ask any of the 70 guests we had ) was amazing. the grounds of the hotel and building is amazing the staff keep it clean and are friendly towards all guests all the time.

the night before was a bit of a hassle as there was a christmas party for the national grid where there was alot of activities going on that you wouldnt expect from people in such high posistions in important jobs, which ment the next day i had to ask the hotel staff to just check the patio areas and sweep up the piles of broken glass that had accumulated and just been pushed aside by the guests and not reported, so the kids at our wedding could of fallen and hurt themselves badly, but as usual the oakwood staff had no issue with this. as soon as our wedding co ordinator saw the state of the outside area from the party the night before after a few moments there was a small team of staff clearing it up straight away.

the night before the wedding ( 7-12-13 ) we stayed in the hotel and had our dinner and a few drinks. Food was wonderful as per usual and served to the regular high standard that i have ALWAYS known at oakwood. it was difficult getting to the bar through the crowds at the party but we managed.

the only fault i had with the wedding day was nothing to do with the hotel but to do with some of the disgusting drunken & disorderly behaviour of a few of the guests the night before but hey Christmas parties with free drinks will cause problems.

i would also like to personally say thanks to all the staff, the manager paul, and our wedding team which consisted of sam sidwell, sam garrett. and the main man on the day who officiated his first wedding flying solo, jack. you all made our day worth every penny and the most fantastic experience ever.

so whether is wedding, one of the theme nights or just a nice night away this place really has it all and i have done all of the above here now even if it is only a 25 min drive away from my home.

Room Tip: pay the extra have the superior rooms
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Paul E, General Manager at Oakwood House Hotel, responded to this review, December 11, 2013
Dear gaz1987
Thank you for your kind words following your wedding at Oakwood House which we were all delighted to host for you. We would all like to wish you both a long and happy future together and we expect to see you this time next year for the 1st year wedding anniversary celebrations!
Thank you for the kind words for the team, especially those you mentioned in person. I will ensure your comments are passed on to them.
We look forward to seeing you again soon
Paul

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Sittingbourne, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 8, 2013 via mobile

I love the look and feel of the hotel however I feel that being busy is too much for them. We were at the hotel for a Xmas party, the hall was nice and the tables looked pretty, that's where things went downhill.
I ordered potted prawns, nasty. The prawns were tasteless and the only thing you had to eat it with was your bread role. We liked the meat on the main course but the vegetables were only Luke warm and my wife says that the parsnips were the hardest she had even had. Desert was a disaster with the baked Alaska not only was the meringue runny but the ice cream melted, a fellow diner said it was more like a gull had done something on his plate. I had mixed cheese, once again nasty. The last piece was so bad being hard that when I took it out of my mouth I threw it on my plate and it bounced across the table.
Drinks------ expensive or what?
Room was nice although very hot, no noise from neighbouring rooms.
Breakfast in the morning was self service and you could eat what you liked with full English (shame it was only Luke warm again), continental, cereals etc. Would have been nice to have a pot of coffee or tea but you have to help yourself from a pump canister.
Have to say I won't book there again and if my company books another Xmas do there again I won't be going

Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Trevor B
Dear Trevor B
Thank you for taking the time to review Oakwood House following your Christmas Party. I am sorry that you did not find the food to your satisfaction. We have processes in place whereby all tables our checked to ensure you are all happy with your food by our host and by the member of staff assigned to your table.
Having been in attendance during your party I am disappointed that you did not mention anything to us as we could have rectified any issue there and then.
I am glad you enjoyed your bedroom and would urge you in the future to talk to us first as it is disappointing to know we could have resolved your issues but were not given the chance to and instead find out via your comments on this site.
Paul

Travelers are raving about these Maidstone hotels

Sittingbourne, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 1, 2013

I have recently been to Oakwood House on a course the only complaint is that parking is difficult. Having said that I think this is an excellant venue for a course. The rooms are well furnished and comfortable. The best thing is the food, lunches were fabulous and plentiful, the choices are varied and you are able to have a bit of everything if you so wish. I look forward to more courses at this venue.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Rookie13
Paul E, General Manager at Oakwood House Hotel, responded to this review, December 5, 2013
Dear Rookie13
Thank you for taking the time to review Oakwood House following your recent course.
I was delighted to read your comments and will ensure they are passed on to all of the team.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 14, 2013

This place is tucked away in the middle of a college campus, complete with bizarre one way systems. One flustered guest arrived at the same time as we did complaining that it had taken her half an hour to travel the last half a mile trying to find the place.
The rooms were fine, although it seems this hotel is heavily catered for conferences and training courses. It seems like a very nice building, and is obviously fairly old. It is madness that the local council have allowed all the modern development around it.
We ordered a taxi and it took ages to come. I feel that they too struggled to find the place.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Paul E, General Manager at Oakwood House Hotel, responded to this review, November 18, 2013
Dear David S S
Thank you for taking the time to review Oakwood House following your recent stay. From reading your review I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us, once you found us. We are working hard with the local authorities to ensure we have better signage from all routes.
We hope to welcome you back in the future.
Sunderland, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 14, 2013

Service goes a long way for me whenever I stay in hotels as often it's for business as I'm pretty much in and out and often don't experience everything on offer such as the food/bar etc... It struck me the second I walked into Oakwood House that customer service is obviously very high on their agenda too.

All smiles and helpfulness from the word go unlike so many of the hotels you get in the capital where those on reception barely seem interested enough to make eye contact.

I asked for an ironing board to be dropped off at my room, it was there in 2 minutes. I asked for a taxi to be ordered, it was there in 5 minutes.

They stop serving breakfast at 10am and it was only at 9.45 when I decided that I'd quite like some - went down to the where it was being served and they had started tidying away so I assumed I'd missed by chance. Nothing of the sort, they asked me to take a seat and brought me an excellent full english. So many hotels I've stopped in it would have been "sorry, too late pal".

The room was very nice, not sure about the 'Superior' rating but their was a robe & slippers and an awesome shower so perhaps that's the difference. Great night's sleep too.

Impossible to knock this place and the staff are second to none.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Dear BJMcG
Thank you for taking the time to review Oakwood House following your recent stay. I was delighted to read your comments as the team work hard on a daily basis to ensure we provide the highest levels of customer service.
I will ensure you comments are passed on to all of the team, complimentary feedback such as yours is always motivating as it shows their efforts have been appreciated.
We all look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Tonbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 5, 2013

Worst hotel ever stayed at, ever

* We got no sleep due to the wedding having the loudest music i have heared which surely would have been classed as noise pollution in a bog standard neighborhood up till midnight which meant till then NO sleep we run reception about this and all we got was sorry we will shut the doors but you couldnt tell if they had or not cause no difference was made.

* The room its self was normal with added touches her or there nothing to really warrant the £90 price tag, only bonus over other hotels was mineral water and a biscuit.

* For a luxury night away for a special event it was sour and more sour for a hard working couple to pay to get away from the house for 1 night expect a more than lush night sleep and get more than the other way round and infact get a night from hell and worse than that when e-mailed about the matter we was completely ignored and when we arrived and booked the hotel was not warned about the wedding or possible noise, maybe because we would not have booked the place if we had known. We was a money pot to them as feel very robbed. Please avoid if you are looking for a luxury night away as wedding guests are far more important.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Paul E, General Manager at Oakwood House Hotel, responded to this review, November 8, 2013
Dear sophielouloop16
Thank you for taking the time to review Oakwood House following your stay. I was extremely disappointed to read your comments. We are recognised locally as having a very good relationship with our neighbours in terms of noise and will always allocate non function guests on the far side of the building.
Having read your review I do not understand why you didn't speak to a member of the management team before you left as we have no record of your complaint? Further more could you provide me with a copy of the email you sent as we have not received anything?
Once again please accept my apologies for the poor experience you received. Please feel free to give me a call at the hotel to discuss further.
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 28, 2013

We had our daughters wedding reception here last friday & I recommend it to anyone planning a wedding reception. The hotel ticked all the boxes that we wanted from a wedding, bridal suite, bar & dance floor in the same room, lovely area for wedding photos,can stay the night, good breakfast! The staff were excellent throughout & nothing was too much trouble. Right from when we visited the hotel initially & met Sam the wedding co ordinator, through to the tasting we received good service.
It was truly a wonderful day & all our guests who stayed overnight which was pretty much the whole hotel only had good things to say about it.
Highly recommend!!!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Linda W
Paul E, General Manager at Oakwood House Hotel, responded to this review, November 5, 2013
Dear Linda W
Thank you for your comments following your daughters wedding at Oakwood House. I was delighted to read your experience and will ensure your comments are passed on to all of the team. We all hope to welcome you back in the future and wish your daughter and son-in-law a very happy future together.