“Confused concept dining”
Review of Turning Tables - CLOSED

Turning Tables
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Using the best fresh and organic produce that Kent has to offer, Turning Tables has brought the farm shop restaurant concept to Maidstone. From English and continental breakfasts and high-quality coffees to hearty farmhouse-style mains and indulgent puddings, Turning Tables has something for every time of day. Its traditional Sunday roasts with seasonal vegetables are also well worth discovering.
Reviewed July 12, 2013

We went mid week using a Groupon voucher which was good value. We were confused by the concept of the restaurant as on the website it says farm shop, restaurant, bar, from farmhouse to table, naturally you would think quality local farm produce. From the entrance it is almost like walking into a 'Carluccio's' type restaurant where jars and packets of local produce and other goods such as pasta, chocolate, sweets are displayed and there is a deli counter. The menu is very mixed and varied from pulled pork to whole sea bream and indian, morrocan, thai dishes, so there is a real mixture of 'world' flavours, therefore we were confused as to what the concept of the restaurant really is as it is not farmhouse to table more a little bit of everything! The waitresses were friendly and helpful although more attention to detail is needed, we had to ask for a glass for beer, cutlery for our main course. My partner had pulled pork to start which he said was flavoursome, I had the crab cakes, little crab but the dressing was lovely. For the main course, we both ordered the whole baked sea bream filled with black olive and anchovy tapenade and questioned how salty it would be, the waitress asked the chef and he said he could ease up on the salt, what we meant was how salty was the filling especially as anchovy is salty! we saw very little in the way of filling but the fish was perfectly cooked. The fish was served whole as stated on the menu but they did not offer to fillet it for us nor did they produce fish knives for filleting or a spare plate for the bones, head and tail. Upon, clearing our plates we were asked how our meal was and we commented that the fish was cooked perfectly but there was little filling, to which the reply was 'ohh, okay ............. !! that was it, comments should be given to the chef negative or complimentary. Overall an average dining experience.

Reviewed July 10, 2013

The council are digging up the road and pavement right outside Turning Tables at the moment. We initially thought it would noisy inside but once the doors are closed it's not a problem.

We went for lunch on Monday 9th July.

Nice selection of items on the menu- they do seem to like pulled pork - available in a wrap or in a bun.

Keeping with the local aspect of the market theme - lots of drinks and food from the local and surrounding area. e.g. Fruit juices from Brogdale, and Cider from Kent. So much so we had to go to Brogdale and purchase more of their pear juice.

Food was promptly served and was well presented and cooked. We opted for the pulled pork wrap and Scampi and fries.

Can't fault it - apart from it didn't like my Amex card but I think that was a fault with the network rather than with the restaurant.

We'll definitely be back.

Reviewed July 8, 2013 via mobile

We went here for an aunts anniversary on a Sunday and from start to finish the staff were professional and very courteous.
I had a traditional Sunday roast and as I was undecided on which meat to have the waitress suggested I had a mixed with very generous slices of all.
As I have said in the header this actually was the best meal I have ever had.
My only negative point is the fact that they only had one draught larger and that was run out meaning we were forced to buy their overpriced bottled beers.
If the drinks were not so pricey for the area it would literally be the best restaurant in the country!
I can't wait to return.

Reviewed July 8, 2013

We visited for the first time on Friday and it deffo wont be our last. The food was beautiful, service fantastic and Elan and Lilly were the best hosts.
I thoroughly recommend this restaurant!
Thanks guys xx

Reviewed July 2, 2013

I have been twice and both times been given my main dish without the nuts. The first time I ordered the vegetable tagine which should have almonds, I could not find any and sure enough when I asked they had been left out by mistake, a few minutes later a little bowl of toasted almonds arrived, and made all the difference to the meal. I was not so lucky this time as I ordered the Asian salad looking forward to the chill and peanut dressing, not much chilli and no peanuts at all, when I asked the waiter informed me they had not received any peanuts on their food order that day. Surely they should have informed me when I ordered the salad and be given the option to order something else.

You expect to get what is on the menu, I would have tried a different dish. Oh well I expect you have to double check when ordering that all the ingredients will be in the dish, at least I will if I ever go back.