“top local place”
Review of Turning Tables - CLOSED

Turning Tables
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Using the best fresh and organic produce that Kent has to offer, Turning Tables has brought the farm shop restaurant concept to Maidstone. From English and continental breakfasts and high-quality coffees to hearty farmhouse-style mains and indulgent puddings, Turning Tables has something for every time of day. Its traditional Sunday roasts with seasonal vegetables are also well worth discovering.
Reviewed June 29, 2013

went for the first time today- food great, atmosphere and service spot on. was so stuffed couldnt have a dessert. the bread they service was the best i have tasted, and the burger was huge and just cooked to perfection. would recommend to anyone - we should support these kinds of places

Reviewed June 28, 2013 via mobile

I have eaten here on numerous occasions and just keep going back. The blade of beef main meal is huge and so tasty, my mum had Mediterranean vegetables with hallioumi, again delicious.
I feel this place is more for day time dining having walked past of an evening the restaurant is still very brightly lit and personally I think could do with having the lights dimmed and some candles placed on the tables, this may be more inviting for couples looking for a romantic meal, only a thought.

Reviewed June 27, 2013 via mobile

Great resturant with great food. Have eaten here twice now and both times the food has been superb. The decor is quite cool in a way. This resturant is too good for Maidstone town centre. Well worth a visit.

Reviewed June 25, 2013

Went as part of a groupon deal and must say that this was exceptional value for money. Was very impressed by both my courses (pulled pork and blade of beef) and also extremely impressed with our friendly and helpful waitress. Don't recognise the place as reviewed by some of the 1 star reviewers below. Ok, I didn't have the goat, which seemed to have been widely criticized, so maybe that would be worth steering clear of, and the price of the drinks was a bit steep, and the place does resemble more of a garden centre restaurant than a 'proper' eating place....but I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the place on my experience.

Reviewed June 20, 2013

We visited this restaurant on Bank Holiday Monday, May 2013, with a Groupon voucher. We were the only people in there for at least half an hour. After a bad experience I emailed them twice (contents below) and received no reply after a few weeks. Needless to say, we have no desire to return!

"I have just arrived home after a meal at your restaurant with my mother and feel compelled to email you regarding our wholly disappointing experience.

I had previously noticed your lovely shop front, resembling a farmers' market with seasonal produce. When I saw a local Groupon deal advertised for your restaurant I snapped it up immediately, thinking that the dining would also be something out of the ordinary and something to look forward to, especially after skimming through some good reviews on Trip Advisor.

As my mother was due to visit this weekend, I called ahead a week ago to make a booking. At this point the man who answered the phone was a little rude, becoming argumentative when I asked to book in for the bank holiday Monday, 27th May, insisting repeatedly that this was the 26th of May and did I therefore want to book in for the Tuesday. I replied that it definitely was Monday the 27th of May that I wished to book for and suggested that perhaps he may have the wrong date copied into the restaurant diary. I basically ended this rather odd conversation unsure as to whether I had been booked in for the right day or not.

We were nevertheless really looking forward to the meal itself, turning up to find we were the only customers at this point so we had a choice of seating, which was nice. The first disappointment was my coffee milkshake, which looked great, but which tasted odd, slightly cheesy, as if the cream was off. At this point I thought it might just be not to my taste and ignored it. The starters arrived in good time, and were perfectly edible, although nothing to write home about and both very oversalted (mushroom with goats cheese/ pulled pork salad).

However, the primary issue we had was with the main course. We asked the waiter whether he recommended the goat curry, to which he replied it was a popular choice. I chose the beef and my mother ordered the goat curry. The mains arrived in decent time. The beef blade was tender and tasted fine, although again was not remarkably flavoursome. My mother was clearly not enjoying her meal - she was too embarassed to complain herself, so I tried it and it was unbelievably bad, especially for the menu price of nearly £15! It consisted of boil in the bag style 'rice and peas' with an utterly bland curry sauce and uniform chunks of tasteless meat, with a spongy tofu-like texture. You may as well have served a birds eye-style microwave meal - or even tinned dog food - for better flavour and palatability. I used to work in a Carribean Restaurant and have fond memories of the goat curry, with tender tasty, oily meat and delicious jerk-spiced sauce (II suggest your chefs go on a little field trip to e.g. Brixton market and try a decent authentic goat curry to see what they're aiming for).

I attracted the waitress's attention and she quickly offered to exchange the meal. We thought you couldn't go too wrong with chicken and ordered the spanish slow-cooked chicken with chorizo, imagining unctuous, melt-in-the-mouth chicken and smoked paprika flavours. This turned up after I had finished my main course, but in good time considering it had been ordered after I had started eating, although - again - was most definitely not as billed; firm, obviously NOT slow-cooked pieces of tasteless chicken breast with large rubbery chunks of cheap-looking chorizo, in a very thick tomato sauce with very little flavour or seasoning. This would be ok as an inoffensive, mass-produced pizza or pasta sauce, but not a one-pot casserole dinner in a restaurant. This was served (rather incongruously) with an inedibly-oversalted green side salad.

To add further insult, the waitress offered my mother another drink whilst she was waiting for her meal; my mother accepted thinking that this was a good will gesture for the inconvenience. When the bill came we saw we had been charged for this extra drink too!

I have enjoyed many excellent two course meals with drinks at other restaurants for much cheaper, with and without vouchers. In fact I have never been so disappointed by a restaurant experience."

1  Thank cd2059