“Lovely decor a d good service, shame about the food”
Review of Turning Tables - CLOSED

Turning Tables
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Using the best fresh and organic produce that Kent has to offer, Turning Tables has brought the farm shop restaurant concept to Maidstone. From English and continental breakfasts and high-quality coffees to hearty farmhouse-style mains and indulgent puddings, Turning Tables has something for every time of day. Its traditional Sunday roasts with seasonal vegetables are also well worth discovering.
“Lovely decor a d good service, shame about the food”
Reviewed February 18, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I went for lunch on my husbands birthday. We we're excited by the opening of the restaurant as it is good to see new businesses in the town and the menu was different from all the chains in the centre. We ordered a mezze to start which was enjoyable. The mains however were very disappointing. The vegetarian butternut squash tagine arrived at the table. I opened the pot lid to find a large portion of the roasted pepper ragout that had been served with our starter. No butternut squash, no chickpeas, nothing remotely Moroccan tasting. The cous cous also didn't have any preserved lemons or herbs as described on the menu.
We caught the chef walking past our table, he checked with the kitchen and explained they were out if butternut squash, if I had been told this when I ordered I would have chosen something else. They added a load of chickpeas to the dish and returned it to the table, offering a free dessert.
My husbands goat curry was nothing to write home about. We have eaten better versions of these dishes from stalls at a festival.
The only saving grace was the level of service received by a number if different waitresses. We ended up having my main for free. The owner was hanging around at one of the tables in the restaurant on his phone. He had been told about our complaints and made no effort to apologise. His attitude was generally poor.
I can't see this place surviving unless some care and attention to detail is put in. I wish them luck, we will stick to the fortify in future!

2 Thank Minkymonkey85

“Stale cakes”
Reviewed February 18, 2013 via mobile

They looked delicious but the carrot cake was stale and had been for quite some time , waitress exchanged for another piece. My bake we'll tart was tasteless and contained so little jam I could hardly see it , if you going ask for fresh slices of cake and not the pre cut ones on the top shelf !

1 Thank CosmicAngela
“A refreshing change.”
Reviewed February 16, 2013

In Maidstone there aren't a great deal of independent restaurants, it the usual suspects. Turning tables has resently sprung up and come from the locally sourced produce angle( where possible.) We elected to visit on valentines day and had a different menu. We weren't dissatisfied at all. Lovely Kent sea bass main. Well worth a spin.

Isle of Sheppey, United Kingdom
“Disappointing”
Reviewed February 14, 2013

After reading all the rave reviews and also reading the menus outside we decided to give this new resturant a go. This was a mid week visit so was pretty quite. We were seated and given menus whilst looking we ordered a bottle of white wine, the wine itself was ok but quite warm so we asked for an ice bucket. We ordered our starters I had the grilled sardines my girlfriend had the pâté. I ordered the beef blade for main but was told that it had sold out! Odd as its on the main menu so is not a special and seeing as it was only 8pm on a very quite Wednesday evening seemed strange to had run out! With this we ordered the homemade burger. The starters took about 20 mins to come and when they did my sardines were well and truly over cooked, dry and burnt skin. Our mains arrived and the burger itself was quite nice if a little dry, the chips that were served were just frozen chips. In all I had hoped for much more as the menu on paper certainly looks the part it's just the cooking itself is not up to scratch. Shame.

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank humpty258
“Excellent food compromised by bad lighting”
Reviewed February 5, 2013

I would love to give this place 5 stars, but there's a few niggles which I hope they resolve and put down to teething troubles. Firstly it was so bright. We did ask if the lights could be turned down and sadly not, as it was like eating your dinner in Wembley stadium. Not a great ambience for an evening meal. The waitress had absolutely no charisma and whilst we had no complaints about the service, it was perfunctory. Admittedly we did visit on a fairly cold night, but the toilets were freezing (and a bit funky too - possibly because they are shared with the nightclub upstairs).

All that said, the food is absolutely faultless, beautifully kitted out and great value. We will return, but probably for lunch instead.

• Visited January 2013