“Lovely little hidden gem”

Frederic Cafe Bistro
Ranked #10 of 371 Restaurants in Maidstone
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Small independent cafe-bistro serving provincial French "peasant food" - This is not fine dining! Its loud, noisy and rustic.
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

I don’t think a lot of people know about this place, it was certainly my first visit but one of my friends is a regular. I would definitely return and recommend having a meal here. The food was fantastic, the lamb shank I had for a main was perfect. Not a bad word to say about this place

1  Thank 68danh
Write a reviewReviews (1,411)

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

As we were going to the theatre in the evening we thought that we would make a day of Maidstone. Bit of shopping correction a lot of shopping some sightseeing and most importantly some nice lunch. On our wanderings near the theatre we spotted a little french style Bistro. Looked inside and were very pleased with what we saw. It reminded us that is my wife and myself of a little bistro on a little road going up the hill behind the Moulin Rouge. It looked the same, smelt the same and felt very French. Unfortunately I couldn't have a glass of French red wine with our Fench ploughmans as I was driving. The food was fresh and really tasty, oh and a lot of it. The prices great, great service and really helpful staff. I think it might have helped that the owner was French. They have quite an extensive menu which we have just got to go back and explore. The toilets/rest rooms were spotless and easy to find, no steps or heavy doors. A big recommendation.

1  Thank Brian C
Reviewed 5 weeks ago via mobile

This is a fantastic restaurant, great for any occasion. A lovely atmosphere and pleasant, attentive staff. The menu is interesting and varied and very reasobably priced indeed for food of this quality. As a group of 6, we tried quite a few dishes between us and were all agreed, the standard of the food - starters, mains and desserts alike were excellent.
Good sized portions too. Favourites were Crayfish & Avocado, & crab fish cakes for starters, lamb shank and sea bass for mains, and Paris Brest and a very impressive cheeseboard to finish off . Not surprisingly it was busy, but that meant there was a nice 'buzzing' atmosphere where absolutely everyone in there was thoroughly enjoying themselves. A huge selection of wines and gins on offer & no doubt a good choice of any other drinks too.
Whilst 4 of our group are from the town, sadly I live 2hrs away so whilst I would love to go there time and time again to work my way around the menu, it will have to be an annual treat. But I am already looking forward to our next trip to Maidstone. Very highly recommended.

1  Thank Y1223IUcarols
Reviewed September 14, 2019 via mobile

We love Frederic's. Always great food and a great atmosphere and the owner is always working.
A much better choice than all the high street brands in Earl St. Authentic French brasserie dining at it's best.

1  Thank GraemeCollie
Reviewed September 8, 2019 via mobile

Lovely well cooked and tasty breakfast with friendly service a must visit if in Maidstone .Try the big Wake up or sausage and mushroom omelette., they leave you full and not wanting to eat for the rest of the day

1  Thank 652darrene