“Great restaurant”

Frederic Cafe Bistro
Ranked #2 of 313 Restaurants in Maidstone
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Small independent cafe-bistro serving provincial French "peasant food" - This is not fine dining! Its loud, noisy and rustic.
“Great restaurant”
Reviewed March 19, 2013

Went last Saturday for a meal with my family. restaurant was just fantastic- great atmosphere, lovely food, & brilliant service. Don't usually bother writing reviews but loved this place so much that I just had to!

2 Thank Tobemanser

Dartford, United Kingdom
“Food good ,could do better.”
Reviewed March 17, 2013

My wife and i visited expecting the five star trip advisor lunch that we craved ,unfortunately we did not get this,see below for reasons why you need try this bistro before you carry on reading.
Firstly ,our lunch tasted great.
Secondly the very polite chef ,who came up to us and advised of our meal accordingly ,ie ,french or english eggs,my wife went for english and shamedly cheddar(not on the menu thankfully),and my duck cooked pink ,devine,possibly the best cooked duck that i have ate in along time.
Thirdly,very nice selection of wines and all meals fairly priced.

Three stars instead of five for the Following reasons.......................
Ash trays full of cigarette butts outside on the patio before entering,considering no one was sitting outside,it makes you wonder how long they were there for,not the chefs fault .
Too dark,no light ambience.
Not seated or menu's provided until asked,staff looked flustered though not entirely busy.
Staff fairly miserableand looked lathergic,possibly the reason for the non emptying of ash trays.
Tables felt dirty and the furniture and parts of the decor not up to scratch,feels as though the have ruhed moving in .
And lastly the pasteries etc are left in the windows with no covers ,this my wife and i feel to be not the most hygenic place to be left seen as they are right by the entrance / exit doors.
As the subject suggests great food but could be a five star if the above was vastly improved.
Would i come again,yes,would i expect improvements on our next visit ,HELL YES.

1 Thank Lewis K
Ulric-Frederic, Owner at Frederic Cafe Bistro, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Thank you so much for saying that I was most polite and that you enjoyed my cooking.
In truth I am merely a simple café offering what I believe is good quality food with a French accent and reasonably priced. I note your observations regarding service and agree we can always improve – the open air cake display is similar to that found in respected chains like Carluccio’s but of course I realise that this won’t be to everyone’s taste.
Whilst we did “rush in” we decided on this stripped down rustic look for the furniture, décor and lighting as this is what a provincial café in 1930’s France would have looked like and as such I am afraid that I shan’t be changing this anytime soon (if only on cost grounds) . I look forward to welcoming you and your wife back very soon with the caveat that you probably won’t be seeing the furniture improvements you demanded.
Ulric Allsebrook
Chef-Patron
Maidstone, United Kingdom
“Relaxing, inviting and music at a level so you can hold a conversation!. Fantastic find!”
Reviewed March 15, 2013

Visited here today for a coffee and a catch up with friends. Had a lovely coffee served by attentive and polite staff (a very rare thing it seems in most cafes these days!). For the hour we were there I quite forgot was still in maidstone!. Has a lovely atmosphere and pleased to say the music was discreet so could actually hold a conversation easily which is a problem in lots of places. Although we didn't eat the food being served looked lovely and I will be returning for lunch or dinner next time followed by one of the cakes in the window. They were not your run of the mill offering, looked gorgeous and will be difficult to decide which to have....I may just have to sample them all!.

1 Thank Auburntortoise
Kent, UK
“Can't wait to revenir!”
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Lunched here on a weekday ....Super bistro, lovely decor and really excellent food! Not a vast menu but for me that is a part of the charm. Have raved about it to family and friends and can't wait to go back one evening and sample the dinner menu. Bravo!

1 Thank Shedeebee
Maidstone, United Kingdom
“Superb Night Out.”
Reviewed March 13, 2013

We visited Frederic's for a special occasion with work collegues for the first time last week and we had an excellent meal in a very atmospheric and welcoming environment. Every member of our group enjoyed their meals and commented on how well the Bistro was run and how efficient all the staff were. We all would recommend Frederic's to our friends and family.
Thank you for an excellent evening.