“Valentine weekend”

Village Hotel Maidstone
Ranked #5 of 17 Hotels in Maidstone
Reviewed February 19, 2014

Arrived at hotel on stormy Friday. The reception area was cold as the outer doors were broken and we were told they had been like that for a month or so. Everyone had their coats on in the cafe a bar area and it was crowded and noisy, even in the evening.So when we got to room and that was not very warm either we decided to sit it out.in the room with a glass of wine. Decided to eat at hotel as weather bad but it was expensive and not particularly special. The hotel is on the verge of needing a reburb in places but everywhere was clean and we enjoyed a swim. Staff were fine. When the next door room closed the draws our bed shook and sound proofing was poor. That said all OK but would not make it first choice if we go back to the area. Not De Vere as it used to be, sorry

Room Tip: Sorry no suggestions
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Rod M

Reviewed February 11, 2014

I had hoped that I could use this hotel to do some work in my room whilst I was travelling in the area. The hotel does offer free Wi-Fi but the public areas are very noisy so it is necessary to work in the bedroom. However, there is no Room Service during weekdays (only Sunday afternoon!), so I could work in my room but not get any food or refreshments. Not very convenient!
Whilst one could suggest that this is a budget hotel, I would argue that at £92 a night then it is reasonable to expect Room Service!
One other annoying point was that my room (102) has an extractor fan in the bathroom that is continuously working and noisy but cannot be turned off!
A few areas of improvement should considered Mr De Vere !

Room Tip: Check for noisy fan before accepting the choice!
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank matkincc
Reviewed February 8, 2014

I booked a upper deck room, which was reasonably priced. The room was spacious and the bed was very comfy and I had a couple of great nights sleep. As an added bonus you guy sky tv in your room including sky sports and movies.

The hotels has fitness suit including a full length pool, I was unfortunately too busy to go, but my colleague said both the gym and pool were very nice.

The staff were very friendly and helpful, however I feel their uniform lets them down as they look very casual in Village jeans and polo shirts.

We ate in the bar and the restaurant and neither were of a particularly great standard and the same goes for the breakfast. Limited options especially for a cold breakfast

The biggest downside to this hotel was that the electricity in your room is only on while your room key is in the slot, this includes the heating so room was allways very cold when you got in which is not ideal. In addition the hot water was only ever warm in the evening, which was odd seen as it was more than hot enough in the mornings

Room Tip: Go for the upper deck rooms, more spacious and sky tv in your room
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Ross L
Reviewed February 1, 2014

We live locally and had a good deal so we had an "away day". The service was friendly at check in and the room clean with most mod cons. It was not as good or as roomy as a number of Premiers I have stayed at of late but was close. The number television channels available though was some what lacking when. I have stayed at Village hotels previously and standards are fairly consistent but whether would stay again depends on the deal. An important difference between here and a Premier is that here you got Breakfast included which was a decent buffet and some of the best porridge I have had, but you have to ask as it is not advertised.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 22, 2014

Plenty of parking,
Pulling up it looked clean and tidy we entered into the reception the receptionist was on the phone looked at us then turned away she was on there for some time then asked them to hold and went off, she came back a few minutes later and no word went back on the phone eventually someone else came out we finally got our room key....

Our room was clean with a good size television hairdryer tea and coffee, the bed was so hard like a brick even the pillows were hard such a shame me and my husband woke with bad backs..
The shower was nice and hot.
Breakfast was ok good selection the cooked breakfast was ok very watery scrambled egg and cheap sausages nice thick toast bread,

In the evening we went into the pub inside the hotel and it was nice and welcoming the food looked good in there and a good price please note they dont mention the pub when you walk in just there food which is expensive. They were friendly only down point which wasnt there fault was some very drunk people screaming and swearing falling everywhere it wasnt late and I felt sorry for the people with children eating I think someone should have asked them to tone it down abit.

We got our swim wear and was going to go swimming but they forgot to tell us there were swimming lessons so we got over run with children and decided to give it a miss.
The gym did look fantastic my husband who uses the gym regularly said it looked good and has everything you could want.

Room Tip: Upgrade we tried but there were no rooms
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank kerryt503
Reviewed January 22, 2014

I've spent last Saturday night in room 159 although the room was clean and comfortable the lavatory pan was disgusting , it had lots of black lime scale which could easily be removed with Domestos Zero at £1 a bottle , if cleaners can't remove marks they should report them to the manager as things like this are very off putting to customers .

Room Tip: south rooms are quieter
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 21, 2014

The standard rooms at this hotel are tired, bashed about and worst of all dirty.
I booked the room on Hotels.com for £90+ for the night with breakfast.
On arriving I had to park on a tiered level car park as the car park was full with gym members.
I therefore only took small bags out of my car and went to check in. On a positive the receptionist was lovely and friendly and was very efficient at checking me in.

1st Room they provided:
When I went to room 114 I noticed that it looked very tired, with marks on the walls, stained and dirty chairs, this prompted me to look a bit closer and I found all the sides to be stained, dirty and dusty, as well as dusty walls and skirting boards, wobbly toilet seat, hair in the sink. Outside the window was a pool of dirty water on top of the flat roof that was not draining away.

I went back to reception and explained it was not acceptable. I didn't mind the damages and knocks to the room as I stay away up to 5 nights a week for work and it is just a place to sleep but I will not accept an unclean dirty room.

The receptionist was very understanding and offered me a room on a different floor in an attempt to get a room with a different cleaner. The room I was given was 214.

Room 214:
Room 214 was equally as dirty, it was equally as knocked about had a blood or poo stain on the outside of the toilet, tea mug stains on the desk and the room was freezing as the window had been left open. I went back to reception and again politely explained this was not acceptable and all I wanted was a clean room, not a room where someone had just changed the bedding and wiped the bathroom very quickly with a dirty cloth. By this point I had been at the hotel over 30mins after a 232 mile journey. The receptionist was again very understanding, polite and friendly and said would I mind taking a seat while she contacted the manager and offered me a coffee from Starbucks in the lobby. While she was doing this I went and got my other bag from the car. On my return the manager greeted me and said would I mind waiting while they went to check another room to make sure it was clean.

A short while later they provided room 172 an upgraded room which was a lot cleaner, and to a standard I would expect for £90+ a night room and the to the level I have come to expect from Village Hotels. I would like to state that I have always had good experiences with Village hotels and there appears to be a maintenance and cleaning issue at this particular hotel.

Despite an awful experience after a long day, the staff were very helpful, courteous and polite and could not ask for more and I appreciated that they eventually resolved the issue. However, it does not take away the fact that the first two rooms were awful and I would not have slept in them.

I hope that they resolve the issues as I work in the area regularly and would like to stay again as it is very well located, has good food and good staff.

I only tend to review when I have a bad experience due to time but feel the need to warn other travellers of a bad experience. I will however probably stay here again due to the staff and location and hopefully I will be able to leave a positive review.

Room Tip: Do not book to stay here unless you are upgrading as they standard rooms are on the main road side...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank Alex C
Also consider these accommodations in or near Maidstone
Hilton Maidstone
Grange Moor Hotel
Grange Moor Hotel
#14 of 17 in Maidstone
Bridgewood Manor - QHotels

Been to Village Hotel Maidstone? Share your experiences!