“Some good, some not so good.”

Village Hotel Maidstone
Ranked #3 of 14 Hotels in Maidstone
Huddersfield
“Some good, some not so good.”
Reviewed July 28, 2013

This was an annual trip to Kent, with four nights at the Village, to coincide with Superbikes at Brands Hatch, and was with another couple. Car park is on several levels, would be difficult to access for anyone infirm and is always quite full. A popular venue for meetings and conferences. It also has a swimming pool and fitness centre which all add to the feeling of a busy hotel from early morning to late at night. This was the hottest spell of the summer so far with temperatures in the upper 20's. Unfortunate then that there was no air-con in the rooms and the air-con in the public rooms went down after a day or so, and was not fixed when we left. The room has a small oscillating fan which didn't help much except stirred the air round the room. Couldn't leave the windows open because of the noise outside and from the motorway. Very difficult to sleep. Room[ was adequate but TV had very limited channels. Bathroom and shower ok.

Breakfast disappointing with no muesli or dried fruit, no fried bread or hash browns with the hot breakfast and bruised and over-ripe apples on the fruit stand.

Contrast this with the evening meals in the same restaurant. Super food, really tasy, from a good menu. We had been given a special deal for dinner when checking in which the hotel didn't want to honour due to their mix up with the promotion but, after some pressure, because it was their mistake, they agreed to do the decent thing. No airconditioning in the restaurant made eating a very perspiring experience though.

Saving grace of the stay was the swimming pool, large and well organised. Used it every day and was glad of it to cool down.

Would use the hotel again but be a bit more choosy where I was put and would hope for less intense heat and temperatures.

Room Tip: Back of the hotel is best, away from Reception, Starbucks and the motorway.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (164)
Reviewed July 26, 2013

Arrived at the hotel hoping for a graceful greeting, this was not to be met as I was greeted by a black guy called dave. Rude and didn't have the ability to smile and be polite. After finally getting past this guy my stay enjoyable, the rooms were nice and well cleaned.

The room temperature was extremely hot as there is no air conditioning , once checked In I made my way down to the bar/pub. Great atmosphere and great friendly staff.

I didn't have time to check out the restaurant but enjoyed watching sky sports in bed

As a business manager I was considering looking at using the village as a base for my business but after the rude service at the beginning of the night may need to consider.

Really nice hotel and location but would like to see a smiling face after spending my money

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Chelmsford
Reviewed July 20, 2013

My partner and I were looking for somewhere closeby to escape for the weekend. We found this hotel on late rooms and decided to take the commute from Essex. We were greeted by a very pleasent and efficient receptionist who was warm and cheery! - She quickly checked us in and asked us if we would like to reserve a table for dinner (We booked in as dinner, bed and breakfast for 2 nights). Following our smooth check-in, we decended on our upper deck room (branded similarly to Virgin Atlantic Upper Class) - We were not expecting chandaliers and marble fire places but what we did have was lovely, our room was spacious, smelt fresh and was clean throughout. The best thing about our stay was the Sealy Village Mattress, wow, it truly was the best nights sleep we've ever had, better than memory foam. From reading other reviews of upper deck rooms this really is a huge plus amongst the guests! - We also had a complimentary starbucks drinks package, a bose sound system and free sky movies. Unfortunately, the speaker system wasn't working but we didn't want to use it anyway so no need to draw to management's attention. Dinner was fantastic, we ate in the restaurant downstairs to the left of the reception and even had a complimentary bottle of house white! - Always a lovely addition. Breakfast the next morning was busy, I'm not a fan of the tiny glasses they always appear to have in hotels at breakfast so I found myself getting two or three glasses of apple juice at a time but I'm used to that! - Food was lovely and staff helpful - Overall, I would reccomend this hotel for Leisure and Business - Just be aware that the hotel has a full fitness suite open all day so can be busy with people coming and going! (Usage included for residents).

Room Tip: Spend that little extra and upgrade to upper deck, its well worth it.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Royal Wootton Bassett, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 16, 2013

I use the DeVere brand quite a lot on my travels. To be honest surprised by some of the previous comments but this review is of my experience.

Really friendly check-in. Everything explained e.g. breakfast time, fitness club etc.
Room was clean and comfortable. Although no air conditioning the fan in the room provided enough airflow to keep me comfortable.

I only used the restaurant for breakfast and it was excellent. Really friendly welcome, showed to a table, coffee arrived promptly. The breakfast range was first class, good bacon, sausages. If I really had to find fault it would be the toasting machine. It was rather hit of miss whether toast would appear out the other side. This however provided entertainment rather than annoyance.

Free wi-fi and it was reliable and fast.

My only criticism was the availability of TV channels. The main ones i.e. BBC, ITV etc, plus sky news, movies and sports i think. With the availability of channels on free view I would expect a lot more, especially as the televisions are modern flat screen.

Fully intend to go back.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 13, 2013

We love this hotel. We have stayed here several times and have never been disappointed.
Beds are comfortable. Fans supplied during hot weather. Pool is excellent.
Food is good, and service.
Fantastic breakfast. Overall good quality stay and good value. Would recommend

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Wrexham, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 7, 2013 via mobile

I was looking forward to the stay but it wasnt to be, the bathroom was dirty and looking ready for a refurb, the window catch was broken and it overlooked a flat roof festooned with vents and pipes. The corridor traffic was busy and noisy, so the sleep quality was not very good.All in all a hotel that needs some urgent help in the house keeping department.

• Stayed July 2013
Walmer, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 3, 2013

Booked 2 rooms here for a Saturday night. Reception staff were very friendly and the rooms were clean and tidy, although the bath towels and the curtains in the bedroom were a little moth eaten! Bed was comfortable tho and reception provided us with pedestal fans when we complained the rooms were a little warm, so for the price (£69 per room) with breakfast (which was good) I would say not bad value for money. The bar isn't too expensive but generally I suppose I would sum up by saying its along the lines of a Premier Inn but with a slightly 'pykie' feel to it!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends