“Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear”
Review of Oriental Chef - CLOSED

Oriental Chef
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed March 29, 2013

What a dreadful place. You pay up front and I assumed it was because people did a runner without paying, but now I know it isn't. You pay up front because you would not pay after for such Luke warm dreadful food. What has gone wrong, it is going downhill. We ate here a lot years ago before it turned into a buffet and it was the best Chinese around. We used it for take away as well years ago and it was always good. The manager lady needs to have training in customer service, I have never met someone so rude when you are paying for food and a service. Honestly, please don't waste your money, it's a dreadful place and I cannot see the restaurant being here in a year or so if it continues the way it is run now. Much nicer places around to eat.

4  Thank 834HennieB

Reviewed March 19, 2013

We have ordered from here for ten months and must have spent well over £1,500 in that time. We never had any problems with the delivery driver or the lady that takes our order.

The other night we made our usual delivery and the lady on the telephone double checked our order. The usual delivery guy turned up and we paid him and went to eat our meal. As we opened the bag we had 1 rice missing, 1 curry missing and a portion of 4 (Not 8) chicken balls. Thinking it was no big deal we rang them and told them what was missing & as we are only a 3 minute drive away, asked if they could send the rest up or I could come and get it. The lady passed me to the Manageress who rudely double checked our order then said she'd call back when she had got hold of the driver.

5 minutes later our bell rings...long...and loud. There is the Manageress and a sheepish deliver driver. She rudely says 'You had a problem with your order. Food missing?!" I calmly said yes and reiterated what was missing. She said she needed to see and PUSHED PASSED ME, THROUGH OUR LIVING ROOM, PASS MY GIRLFRIEND AND INTO THE KITCHEN. She proceeded to get all of the food out of the bag and yelled for the delivery driver to come through. Clearly knowing common decency, he remained at the front door. I asked her politely to move back to the front door. Then with a raised voice said that she cannot believe the order was wrong and that it was checked and given to the driver & he must have messed up. I reassured the driver and made firm the point that I did not believe he had eaten our rice, a curry & half a portion of chicken balls in the space of 5 minutes whilst driving up to us. She then turned the attack onto us and said we had eaten it already! IN 5 MINUTES! I said that I would not being doing this for an extra 4 chicken balls, a rice & a curry on the cheap!

The dappy mare then said "I can't believe you because you have already opened the chicken balls!". To which came our stunned response of "Well yes, we have. That's how we knew that there was only 4 in there". She was getting so loud at this point and disrespectful on our OWN DOORSTEP that we told her to get out. Which left the confused delivery driver at our door. We left on good terms with the driver and explained that at NO point did we EVER accuse him of any wrong doing & he said that he understands & that he had delivered here many times without any trouble!

Who THE HELL does this woman think she is?!

5  Thank L N
Reviewed March 18, 2013

First of all I will start to say that I have never written a review on anything before, but I felt that I really needed to expose these people for the disgusting way me and my boyfriend were treated tonight. We have eaten here many times, restaurant and take-away and never had a problem until recently. After a really bad day, me and my boyfriend ordered from here. After waiting over an hour (not a problem, it's usually worth the wait) we get our usual delivery guy, pay him and I take the food to the kitchen to dish up. We were missing half of our order. My boyfriend called them straightaway and informed them, which was fine, the manager said she'll check the car and call us back. In the mean time, were starving so we ate the spring rolls. About 5 minutes later, our buzzer is going and we open the door. The manageress pushes past my boyfriend, walks into my house and demands to see the order - we show her. She then runs outside and drags in the driver to our house, who she is accusing of eating our food, to which point we are both very unhappy at 2 strangers storming into our house. The poor driver was standing there apologising and saying it wasn't him (as I said he's our regular driver, never a problem) when my boyfriend reassures him we know its not him, the manageress starts shouting at us saying that we were lying and we (somehow) ate the food in the 2 minutes we had it after the driver gave it to us. If we ate the spring rolls, how could she trust us? At that point, I told her to get out of my house. We're embarrassed and disgusted with this service. We will never spend another penny in this place. After that, she left the poor driver on the doorstep who looked extremely upset. Something so small has really shaken us up tonight.

2  Thank Danza1902
Reviewed March 10, 2013

mother's day today and i went there with my family, actually the food were nicer than before, fresh and delicious, especially the desserts they have now. surprisingly they have sushi as well!!!

2  Thank devilshy
Reviewed February 16, 2013 via mobile

It's a shame because it used to be quite nice, the staff were well mannered , polite but the food seemed to be reheated from last nite, the noodles even the day before, very poor!!
The whole place did seem dated , with a look of run down about it . I haven't been there in a long while but it used to be quite good..
The price was ok for a buffet but probably couple pound more expensive then what you would expect for a lunch time Chinese. The cil n tell was not great with a cheap chav feel about the whole place and the few people that were there..
Maybe evening time could fair better but needless to say we won't be back..

1  Thank FrankMiall