“Muggleton Inn in Maidstone”

The Muggleton Inn - J D Wetherspoon
Ranked #210 of 337 Restaurants in Maidstone
Cuisines: Pub
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast
Reviewed July 11, 2013

Usual Weatherspoons friendly helpful service. Food always reasonably good. We had the fish and chips. Prefer when they were done with beer batter.
Interesting building with long history. Again another Weatherspoons speciality.
Good central Maidstone location. We were here on a quiet Thursday night. I'm sure it's different on Fridays.

Reviewed June 30, 2013

We went in this place because the music sounded good but once inside it was horrific. The bar was 6 or 7 rows deep, drinks weren't cheap either but the spirits tasted poor quality. It was full of very young girls dancing with jugs of Black Russians with straws in the jug. Full of drunken kids. We didnt even finish our drinks, couldnt wait to leave.

Reviewed June 16, 2013

Easily found in the heart of the town - very open plan setting, seating very close to door which could be drafty. Not very well lit, so with a wood finish & dark carpeting it gave a dingy welcome. Smelt slightly of last nights beer. We found extra seating upstairs - for some reason quite a lot of the windows were left open. Upon ordering the bar staff barely gave eye contact & were unhelpful when questions asked. Our food arrived promptly & was very nice but the delivery to our table was in passing as the waitress kept on walking - our cutlery slid along by the plates. Ladies loos took some finding but were adequate. Basically expect nothing - get nothing

Reviewed June 4, 2013 via mobile

I went for a quick visit to kill a bit of time earlier.

The "gentleman" that served me treated me like something he stood in. After providing a driving licence as ID he then started giving me lip about how he'd seen me in there before (despite being in there for Pepsi a long time ago). He was saying about how he would refuse to serve me because I've been in there before, despite children being in there all through the day. I have broken no rules or laws and he begrudging served me.

His service was disgraceful and I quickly drank up and left. I am usually impressed with whetherspoons but not by this establishment.

The locals looked like a scene out of Shaun of the dead (with less teeth).

2  Thank Bwfcben
Reviewed May 16, 2013

Wetherspoons - love 'em or loathe 'em, they are part of the street in scene in most town centres.
The Muggleton is no exception. Ludicrously cheap beer (most enjoyable with busy bus stops outside) and an interesting "standard" menu.
We happy pair of pensioners chose a curry special, and while our first choice was not available there were good alternatives. It was tasty, colourful, hot (in both senses of that word) and satisfying.
If there is a drawback, it is the wine which tasted as if it had been open for too long. Thankfully (providing you choose to sup ale), the range of beers (and guest ales at less than a quid a pint) compensates. Otherwise - tough.
It is busy, noisy, the bar is blocked by thirsting regulars still trying to quench their thirst after three or more pints, the garden is packed with smokers frantically accelerating their deaths, but the staff are patient. You may have to fight for a seat, but look upstairs for quiet and the chance of a clean table.