“Not so good Harvester”

The Running Horse Harvester
Ranked #223 of 309 Restaurants in Maidstone
Cuisines: British, Grill
Good for: Large groups, Families with children, Kids, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Digital Payments, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: At The Running Horse Harvester in Maidstone food is fresh, full of flavour and just how you like it. Choose your tasty grill, sauce and side at our restaurant and we'll get cooking - while you head off to the famous Harvester salad bar to grab as much crisp, freshly prepared tasty salad as you like.About our Harvester restaurantIf you're looking for a family friendly restaurant in Maidstone, there's nowhere more popular than Harvester. Close to Sandling, Allington and Penenden Heath, our restaurant is a great choice for anyone who loves tasty grills, indulgent desserts and eating out in a friendly, relaxed atmosphere. Plus we've loads of choices for young guests.
Rochester, United Kingdom
“Not so good Harvester”
Reviewed June 7, 2013

2 adults and two teenagers went to dine! We waited a while to be served. The staff must have had an 'Off Day' and the food was disappointing with small servings. If you liked the salad bowl, well that was not too bad. However, this time the cart was not topped up too well and the serving spoons were all mixed up with all sorts of things on them from other bowls and dishes. Would not be our first choice to go again. You may have a better experience but ours was not so good.

Visited March 2013
Harvester R, Public Relations Manager at The Running Horse Harvester, responded to this review, June 9, 2013
Thank you for giving us your feedback following your recent disappointing meal at our Restaurant.

Snodland
“Never Again”
Reviewed June 3, 2013

Where to start. Half of your draught beers were off. We waited nearly an hour from ordering for our meals to be served. 3 of the meals had undercooked chips. My meal a mixed grill with medium steak was served cremated. The sausage was totally black the steak was awful. The meal was so bad that when I asked to see the manager and sent it back I didn't want a replacement so went without food. My son went to use the toilet and it was flooded. When I mentioned this to the waitress I was told they were out of order and to use the toilets in the restaurant. I went to use this and found a single gents toilet for the whole establishment that defied belief on a cleanliness standard. I have never had to use such a dirty toilet, even at rock festivals. I reported this toilet to the staff but nothing happened as my son went to use it after his meal and there were still condom packets on the floor and flooding. I accept that issues arise that may require toilets to be out of use but in this day and age it is not beyond the wit of man to get an emergency plumber in to sort it. One male toilet for an establishment this size is totally unacceptable. But if this is the case then regular cleaning is imperative. The general cleanliness of this establishment was very poor, to the extent it made me question the state the kitchens and food storage must be in. I have used numerous Harvester's in the past and by a very long distance this was the worst. When the bill was presented I asked to see the manager again and requested a discount due to the poor service, poor food and state of the facilities. I was told that I hadn't been charged for the meal I returned and fresh chips were supplied for the other meals so no discount would be given. The way I was told this inferred that I was lucky you weren't charging me for my inedible meal. I stated I would pay under duress and take the matter further. I just logged on to complete your online survey but couldn't as the first thing it requires is your phone number but the normal non-vat receipt doesn't have this on. One way to avoid feedback. In all I would like to thank the staff at The Running Horse for spoiling my 13 year old daughters birthday meal to this extent.

• Visited June 2013
2 Thank Kentman1964
Harvester R, Public Relations Manager at The Running Horse Harvester, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback on Trip Advisor. We were very sorry to hear that you were disappointed in your recent visit to a Harvester Restaurant and we will reply to you personally about this.
Guildford, England, United Kingdom
“Very long wait for very burnt food”
Reviewed May 30, 2013

We visited the Running Horse with friends on Wednesday, the initial service was good, and overall the service was friendly. They had no seafood available on the day nor any bacon, as a pescetarian this limited my Girlfriend's options.

After ordering after about 10m-15m we were told one of the items ordered was unavailable, the waitress did find a compromise but spent time initially saying it might cost more, and would look different on the bill. Luckily it did come out less, but a restaurant should never mention or charge more when it is their error.

We had a long wait for the food of about an hour from ordering, when the food arrived it seemed like they had left half of the food on the grill for the most part of this hour - a very well done burger for myself, a friend had a very burnt chicken skewer, when everything is black it is difficult to figure out what is next on the skewer.

The stuffed peppers with risotto was cold, and lacked risotto, the 'seasoned' fries lacked even the simplest of seasoning.

Needless to say I will not be returning, and would not recommend this venue.

• Visited May 2013
Harvester R, Public Relations Manager at The Running Horse Harvester, responded to this review, May 31, 2013
Folkestone, United Kingdom
“Long Wait for an Average Meal”
Reviewed May 29, 2013

Had lunch at The Running Horse Harvester with my family, which nearly turned into dinner due to the long wait. After taking our order we had to wait 45minutes for our meal to arrive, thank god for the free salad bar. When the meal arrived we all agreed it was nice but by then we were so hungry we would have eaten anything.
Message to the manager; Employ more staff.

• Visited May 2013
We are sorry that had disappointing service at our Harvester Restaurant and we do appreciate you taking the time to give us your feedback.
Thank you.
Yorkshire, United Kingdom
“Lovely meal”
Reviewed May 29, 2013

The restaurant is exceptionally well decorated, and we found the staff very friendly. The food we had was very good, and although we have eaten in varoius Harvester establishments, my wife and I both commented we felt it was nicer than the others we had eaten at. We would recommend to others without hesitation

Visited May 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to give us your feedback. We are very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your recent visit to our Restaurant.