“poor poor donkeys”
Review of Kent Life

Kent Life
Ranked #5 of 55 things to do in Maidstone
More attraction details
Owner description: We are a 28 acre Heritage Farm Park and aim to be a memorable and fun day out for all the family. Step back in time and visit our Vintage Village, take in the smells and colours in the Kentish Gardens, get your boots muddy and explore our Farmyard & Nature then take a break and set the kids free in our Family Play! We have daily activities and regular seasonal events throughout the year.
Reviewed July 3, 2014

I have just come back from kent life well i will not be going back there I can't stop thinking of that poor donkeys that was very sad looking and the one being pulled around my some boy that works there and was very rude when I asked if he should be doing that to the donkey and the staff were not helpful and could do with more staff there

6  Thank Gemma B
There are newer reviews for Kent Life

Reviewed July 1, 2014

We visited kent life with our good friend and there children, it was a really nice day out and our kids loved it, a few changes could have been made like more animals in cuddle corner as there was only 3 animals between about 30 people, more animal food for less money and the meet and greet session with fireman Sam could have been more interactive.
A nice day out with the kids.

1  Thank Saffy748
Reviewed June 27, 2014

My friend and I set off on a lovely sunny day to visit Kent Life in Maidstone. We were really looking forward to seeing how people lived in Kent in yesteryear. Parking was no problem, plenty of spaces for the disabled and there was a cheaper rate for pensioners.

We were greeted by a lovely smile from the young lady in reception/shop and were given a sticker to place on our clothes to prove we had paid! We strolled through the back of the shop where there were some exhibits connected to hop harvesting. Out into the sunshine and we walked up the hill to see some of the animals in the further fields. We visited the chapel which was laid out the same way as in years gone by. Walking back down the hill there were some barns set up like casual school rooms where children could draw and make things relative to what they had seen. A little further down there was a lovely old building that housed the cafe. There were tables set up in a courtyard as well as inside. The food looked appetizing. There was a good choice on the menu and although simple fare it tasted good and we enjoyed it. We then walked out through the 'herb garden'. Although very nicely laid out it badly needed attention, being very overgrown in places and badly in need of a gardener or two. It was a shame as it would have been pleasant to have sat a while on the benches placed around it. We also looked round an old farm house which was delightful as it took me back to my childhood.

A tractor and trailer was giving rides so that the outlaying fields with animals in could be viewed by the children, who appeared to be loving it.

Passing by some cages which housed chickens and rabbit I was surprised to see that they were on concrete with not a blade of grass to be seen and I did not see any food or water (and it was a hot day). In one of the rabbit cages there was a full bucket of manure. One of the cages with the chickens there was a small dirt box for them to scratch but only two chickens could fit in it. Chickens need to scratch and cover themselves in dust to keep mites at bay!!!

It was a shame that the few things that needed attention spoiled which we thought to be a great place of learning for small children and we observed several school parties enjoying their time there.

3  Thank mazweller
Reviewed June 23, 2014

Not sure teens would be too interested in this attraction, but its great for kids up to about 12 years old. Lots of animals to see, feed and touch. A fantastic large outdoor play area, an inside soft play centre, tractor rides, a big outdoor bouncy castle, paint-a-pot sessions, old war-time buildings to explore, a lovely tea room for food and drink. Lots of festivals going on throughout the year and special days such as Peppa Pig Day, and Fireman Sam.

It initially seems quite expensive to get in, but if you purchase a full price family ticket you can go back as many times as you want within a whole year without having to pay again. Plus once inside the site, theres no hidden extra's to have to pay for - once you're in you can do EVERYTHING there.

Personally we love it for the kids, and we've now booked our wedding here - the little Chapel is so cute and quaint, the Wagon Store is beautiful for a wedding reception and the traditional Village Hall is fantastic for an evening party - all you need to host a great wedding all on one site!

LOVE IT :-)

All I can say on a negative side is that the duck pond at the entrance doesn't give a good impression - it looks unkempt, dirty, smelly and off-putting. I seriously judged this site as being rubbish before we even got in based on my first impressions of the duck pond. If we'd not promised to take the children I would've said 'lets not bother!' But once inside I was pleasantly surprised. I think investments in improving this 'first impression' pond should be made to prevent people walking away.

Our wedding coordinator here has said that several millions of pounds are being invested next year in making several refurbishments and improvements to the site as a whole, but she's not sure if it includes the pond at the front. Lets hope it does :-)

1  Thank Yorksh1re_Pudd1ng
Reviewed June 22, 2014

I have been here twice with my daughter (now 10) and we thoroughly enjoyed both visits. My daughter got to bottle feed a kid, groom a donkey and cuddle a pony. The staff are friendly and informative, the animals well cared for, I don't know what the person who left the review saying how badly the animals are cared for saw, but all of the animals I saw were very well cared for by people who knew what they were doing and had adequate space. There's lots to do, something for everyone, animals, indoor and outdoor play areas and historical houses. My only slight moan would be that it is a bit pricey but it's certainly in line with other similar attractions, so it's no more expensive than any comparable day out.

2  Thank Jill_D899