“wonderful castles”

Ranked #5 of 37 things to do in Maidstone
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Considered one of the most romantic castles in England, this historic site was originally the stately home of the Saxon royal family during the reign of Ethelbert IV in 856-860.
Useful Information: Activities for young children
Reviewed November 11, 2018

This is a real gem of English history, The castle was intertwined with the royal family from the conquest until the civil war and still today provides a wonderful glimpse in to History. The tour around the castle is well organised and there is also plenty to see and do outside with a walk through the grounds and displays of country pursuits such as falconers

Date of experience: November 2018
Write a ReviewReviews (4,290)
All reviews
in 103 reviews
"per adult"
in 50 reviews

Reviewed November 11, 2018 via mobile

Took my husband to the firework spectacular at Leeds castle last weekend for his 40th birthday. They run it for 2 nights every year and are worth every penny!! We had the most amazing time. We arrived at the castle at 2 o clock. We did the maze and the grotto first, do not be deceived the maze is bigger and trickier than it looks but great fun. The grotto is beautiful but does get wet and slippery so take care if with elderly or little people. We then looked around the Avery and watched the birds of prey show. There are big playgrounds for the kids to let off some steam. We then went inside the venue area where they had entertainment in the form of music and dance acts. There were plenty of food and drink stalls/vans. Plenty of choice to cater for everyone from burger and chips to Thai noodles. My favourite was the place selling cinnamon buns they were just amazing!! There are fairground rides and stalls for the kids to keep them occupied whilst your waiting for the fireworks. These are charged at an extra cost. The fireworks started at 530 along with music and on the castle projection. They were on for just over half an hour and were some of the best fireworks I’ve seen. We had a wonderful afternoon and will definitely go back next year. My only groan about the whole day is exiting the car parks at the end. It is very unorganised so be prepared to wait. Other than that fantastic and highly recommended!!

Reviewed November 11, 2018 via mobile

First time I've been since I was a child, a great castle with lovely scenery. Costa coffee with Scone, cream and jam made a lovely afternoon snack.
A very nice falconry display and the weather was good so also managed to do the maze.
Great for loosing kids in so suggest adult goes with them lol.
Parking easy and ticket price is for year long admission so no rush to see every thing so take your time and relax.
Enjoy yourselves.

Reviewed November 11, 2018

Leeds Castle is truly a gem. I wasn't sure what to expect when going to the castle. I just knew that it was a sight to see in England. What I didn't realize was how much I was going to love this place. I highly recommend touring the castle and then visiting the owls. The maze took 20-30 minutes, but was well worth it. The castle itself has been well preserved and every staff member I came into contact was incredibly friendly and helpful. I highly recommend it!