“Simple but excellent”

Gurkha
Ranked #30 of 335 Restaurants in Maidstone
Cuisines: Nepali
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: The very first Nepalese restaurant to be opened in the heart of Maidstone. We provide beautiful, tasty, amazing and authentic Nepalese cuisine alongside some Indian dishes. Since the opening year 2010, we have been able to serve and share our lovely cuisine and have been able to make permanent place in our lovely customer's heart who comes back asking for more. Very near to Maidstone east train station and within the town centre. Please do come and try our lovely food and we promise not to disappoint you. Namaste.
Reviewed October 26, 2012

The food was lovely, really tastey and different. the service was faultless and the waiters were so polite. Even though the place was small it was really private and we never heard the other people's conversations and both times I have been there it has been packed.Really good value for money.

Reviewed October 8, 2012

We were a party of six who dined at the Gurka on Saturday 6th October. Great experience...and a whole different atmosphere from the 'sanitised' chain restaurants which sadly are too common in our towns and cities these days. Fabulous menu,very reasonably priced... and all of the dishes we had were delicious, as was the Gurka beer (660ml bottles!) and £12 a bottle Merlot wine. Very pleasant staff, nothing was too much trouble....you just couldn't fault this place!!!!!..............

Reviewed September 24, 2012

Must admitt it doesn't scream out fantastic on first impressions, very basic furnishing but the Food was fabulous and the staff were very friendly. I had the Momo dumpling starter which was delicious. Would deffinatly recomend.

Reviewed September 18, 2012 via mobile

Monday evening visit and the restaurant is packed but luckily a table for 2 available.

Despite how busy they were we we're promptly given menus and had our candle lit.

We ordered a bottle of house dry white which is lovely and very good value.

Both I and my girlfriend ordered the momo dumplings, they were truly Devine!
For main I had the lamb shank which is cooked slowly with spices and the meat just fell off the bone totally delicious and such a lot of it. My girlfriend had the chicken kharia with cashew nuts also delicious.

We also orderd mix noodles, egg fried rice, black lentil dhal and a portion of mushrooms in a spicy sauce.

The resturant had a buzzing atmosphere and everyone looked to be having a great time.

The service was brilliant as was all the food.

After a brandy which is served in a warmed glass just as it should be, and a lovely fresh coffee, we left feeling well fed and well served and knowing that we will be back again very soon!

Well done to all :)

3  Thank humpty258
Reviewed September 14, 2012

I took my mother to dinner at the Gurkha Restaurant in Maidstone last night. She told me that it had been recommended to her by many people but she had never been. When we arrived I have to admit I was not impressed, it looks tiny and the size of a little town cafe rather than a restaurant!
my misgivings were short lived however.
We were greeted warmly by one of the waitresses and seated very politely.
the menu was extensive and almost a fusion of Chinese and Indian cuisine, the food we ordered was spectacularly good, I had Momo to start which is Chinese style chicken dumplings with an amazing sesame seed chutney and Khasi Khutta as my main course which is a lamb shank in Nepalese sauce and spices, both were exceptionally good.
we made the mistake of ordering two portions of rice as well as a vegetable dish and a naan bread, while all of the food was fantastic it was simply too much and we will order one rice between two of us in future, I say in future because we will definitely be going back.
We had a starter each, two main course dishes, two rice dishes, one veg dish, one naan bread and two drinks each the bill for this feast was £46.70 which I think was very reasonable. the restaurant is simple but clean and well worth a visit.

2  Thank Stewartpb