“Standard old style Hilton”
Review of Hilton Maidstone

Hilton Maidstone
Ranked #8 of 17 Hotels in Maidstone
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed September 19, 2013

I am guessing an ex Stakis place.
Rooms are OK, a bit noisy on the right side by the road, poor double glazing.
Decent gym, poor was closed but the website had published this.
Free drink and jar of nuts for HH members.

Would recommend the pub up the road (Chiltern Hundreds) for a well priced and high quality meal.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
LeonardoGagliano, General Manager at Hilton Maidstone, responded to this reviewResponded September 19, 2013

Dear Sean,

Thank you for your review and constructive feedback. Yes, although thoroughly upgraded to Hilton standards many years ago, the building was originally a Stakis country court, I am sorry if this is not to your taste but many enjoy it for its homily feel. I am also sorry about the noise; please note for future reference that if requested our team is always happy to move guests to another room whenever possible.

I hope you will be back, I am sure we can impress you with other aspects of our services, other than the building. We look forward to welcome you back to the Hilton Maidstone.

Hotel General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,711)

Reviewed September 18, 2013

We travelled a long way and on arrival in the evening needed a meal in our room. A FORTY FIVE minute wait seemed totally unacceptable and the excuse, without an apology, that they were busy just upset us more. In the end it arrived after much less time, but it took us a lot of effort to get that reasonable service. I had to ASK for an apology and then it was so trite it was pointless. When it did arrive, my pork loin and mashed potato was as humorous as the mashed potato scene in Close Encounters! It was massive - and about four thin, small, round pieces of pork perched atop potato mountain! His fish and chips were tasteless and dry.

In the restaurant there is some sort of senior person, in black, who really needs to learn to smile. I was met by her at our first breakfast, no smile, "Name?" No smile. "Orange juice?" No smile. "Tea or coffee?" No smile. Here's your table. No smile. Four obvious opportunities for a bit of warmth or at least a smile.

There are a couple of staff there who are very good and friendly. Obviously the food isn't up to much as it is produced on such a large scale and I believe it is all a bit 'instant' . . . most Hiltons have the same menu . . . but it is a shame that such a hotel/hotel chain can't train chefs that are good enough to produce GOOD food on a large scale!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business

Dear reviewer,

Thank you for your constructive feedback. I am glad that you noticed improvements since your last stay. Unfortunately, although not common, it is possible that at peak times orders might take up to 45 minutes, our team have instructions from me to be upfront and honest about it, I am glad that it actually did not take that long. Nevertheless I am sorry to read about the lack of apologies and smile, that is unacceptable and has nothing to do with being busy; rest assured I have spoken to the restaurant team about that.

Our hotel and Hilton as a company are constantly investing in industry leading training programs to all team members including our chefs, my apologies if the food you had was not to your taste and/or did not meet your expectations, I can assure you we use fresh ingredients and preparation is done in our kitchen to the highest standards.

We hope the good aspects of your stay will bring you back; we look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you once again to the Hilton Maidstone. The feedback from the majority of our guests gives me the confidence that we can deliver a great experience that will satisfy you fully next time.

Reviewed September 16, 2013

We recently spent a night here for a wedding nearby. We were very impressed by our room which was spacious, clean and well equipped, as was the bathroom. Nick on reception was very helpful at check-in. The problems arose when we ordered some food from the bar, before leaving for the reception. We ordered two burgers at 6:30pm (there was one table occupied in the main restaurant and 3/4 in the bar, so not exactly busy!). After 40 minutes, I asked how much longer the food would be as we would now be late. The lady walked off, without apologising, and came back 2 minutes later from the kitchen with our food. She then walked off. The food was cold. The chips were cold and the £13 burger was cold and dry (I almost had to order another drink just to manage to eat a few mouthfuls). When someone came over to ask how the food was, we said it was dreadful but we didn't have time to wait for another. She said wait here and I'll come back. After 5/10 minutes there was no sign of her so we left, and left most of the food too. When I complained at check-out, they checked and there was no record of our complaint (really glad that the bar staff and waitress had passed on our concerns to the chef). After an awful lot of faffing around and being ignored, eventually the Food & Beverage manager came out and apologised and offered to refund the food. So the end result was fine, but it took some patience and hunger to get there. Avoid eating at this hotel, and go to one of the nearby pubs - there are loads! Breakfast, by the way, was very good - extensive hot buffet and loads of choice of other things.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
LeonardoGagliano, General Manager at Hilton Maidstone, responded to this reviewResponded September 16, 2013

Dear Priscilla,
Thank you for your balanced and constructive review. I am glad that overall you found your stay positive but I am disappointed to read about the issue with the bar service and food, please accept my apologies for that. I totally agree with you that at the very least it could had been reported, please rest assured that I have shared your review with our team as a good example of a missed opportunity.
I hope the good aspects of your stay will bring you back to the Hilton Maidstone next time you are in the area; I am confident from the majority of the feedback we get that our team can make the most of another chance and provide you with a flawless world class guest experience.

Reviewed September 13, 2013

We have stayed at this hotel many times as a family. This time was towards the end of August. The rooms are big and always clean and tidy. The sheets are always crisp and white. The swimming pool facilities are really good, although my children believe they should be let in at later times for instance 8.30 or 9.00pm in the school holidays. Breakfast is lovely as usual, my girls had syrup pancakes cooked especially for them. Now my children are 11 and 13 it does mean we no longer eat in the restaurant for an evening meal. Reason being, they were always free up to 10 years old if we ate in there, so it made it a reasonable cost. I really wish the Hilton group would arrange another price bracket for 11-15 year olds (maybe half price on the set menu) it is quite a jump from paying for 2 adults to 4 adults. Unfortunately my children do not look any younger then their years as they are quite tall, so I can't even squease another year out of them!!

Overall, we will be back again as we always have a nice time here. Maidstone is a nice town, it has suffered with some shops closing down, but still nice and the boat trip is good too.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Dear Sandra,
Thank you for your good comments about our hotel and indeed for your regular preference. I am glad that you and your family enjoy our hospitality and services as that is what we strive to deliver every day to every customer. I am sure the team will enjoy reading your review when I share it with them.
Please note that your comments and suggestions about arrangements for young teenagers have been heard and will be considered.
We all look forward to welcoming you back again to the Hilton Maidstone.

Reviewed September 12, 2013

Very happy with our stay at Maidstone Hilton, very large and comfortable room, pleasant service and good food and facilities. Good value for money too as we got a Supabreak deal. Would definitely use again at similar price

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Dear KT,
Thank you for taking the time to recommend the Hilton Maidstone. I am really pleased that you enjoyed your stay and better still that you will be back, we look forward to welcoming you again.

Reviewed September 12, 2013

Clean, tidy, friendly, just what we needed for a girls weekend away. Only negative was the bar service was extremely slow and when our coffees arrived, they were lukewarm. Staff resolved the issue quickly, then we burnt our tongues!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
1  Thank joandherboys
LeonardoGagliano, General Manager at Hilton Maidstone, responded to this reviewResponded September 18, 2013

Dear Joan,
Thank you for your review and constructive feedback, I am pleased that you and your friends enjoyed your stay, please accept my apologies for the issue in the bar, I am glad to read the team reacted promptly to it, I hope the comment about burning your tongue is not serious.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Maidstone.

Reviewed September 11, 2013

Good location near the M20 ideal if you are going to the channel and need a stopover. Was visiting relatives for a few days and booked this for 3 nights. The first room a standard double was not what I would have expected from a Hilton brand. We asked for a move which cost an extra £10 Per night. It was worth it. The first room overlooked the car park and the carpet was dirty with stains on it. The walls were needing a coat of paint the second room overlooked the courtyard and was much nicer. The hall way needs to be vacuumed properly and needs a coat of paint. Good size pool,with Jaccuzi and steam and sauna rooms with a gym too. The staff were very helpful and pleasant., although when training staff it is not. Good idea to leave them on their own behind the bar!!!

Room Tip: Ask for a courtyard room.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family

Dear DILLICHIP,

Thank you for your review and constructive feedback. I am glad that overall you enjoyed your stay but please accept my apologies for those things that we did not meet your expectation. I can assure you that we are constantly investing in and upgrading our hotel. We are currently completely refurbishing the pool area, installing new poolside showers and a brand new sauna, as well as investing a further £100K in front and back of house upgrades. We have this year already replaced all chairs and settees in the restaurant, as well as repainted it. 20 new sofas were replaced in bedrooms where they were tired; we also just replaced 12 armchairs and 3 sofas in the bar area.

Further to that we have in the past 12 months: installed new digital speaker phones, electronic safes and new shower rails and curtains in all of our bedrooms; we also doubled the bandwidth of our WiFi service, installed 90 new beds and mattresses; upgraded our 50 deluxe rooms with new ergonomic chairs and fitted new carpets in 40 rooms. Further to that we repainted all public areas; replaced the restaurant’s carpet as well as all tables and spent more than £10K in new serving equipment; we also built a gazebo in the courtyard for events. That goes without mentioning that, also in the past 12 months; we invested well in excess of £60K in kitchen and plant rooms’ equipment, which although out of view are essential to deliver good service to our customers.

I am glad that you enjoyed your second bedrooms; I hope that the good things you experienced will bring you back to the Hilton Maidstone next time you are in the area, I am confident from the majority of our guests’ feedback that we are be able to provide our guests with great hospitality.

We look forward to welcoming you back again to the Hilton Maidstone.

Hotel General Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Maidstone
Tudor Park Marriott Hotel & Country Club
#1 of 1 in Thurnham
Days Inn Maidstone
Days Inn Maidstone
#14 of 17 in Maidstone

Been to Hilton Maidstone? Share your experiences!