“Decent pub with good cheesy chips”
Review of The Cock Horse Inn

The Cock Horse Inn
Ranked #54 of 311 Restaurants in Maidstone
Cuisines: Bar, Pub
Good for: Local cuisine, Bar scene, Families with children, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Drinks, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Digital Payments, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Waitstaff, Wine and Beer
Description: Dating back to the 14th century, The Cock Horse Inn in Detling is situated on the ancient Pilgrims' Way which follows the route of the devoted from Winchester to Canterbury.This historic pub and restaurant once stabled extra horses required to take heavy loads up the village's steep hill, and now provides an all-day menu of fortifying home-made food, with specials and three roasts on Sundays.
Southampton, United Kingdom
“Decent pub with good cheesy chips”
Reviewed August 3, 2013

Pub carpet spoils an otherwise attractive 14th century pub with a beautiful (if noisy, due to proximity of the A249) beer garden. Food is inclined to be pricey, but the cheesy chips are excellent value for money - served with plenty of cheese. Beer on offer on our visit was Greene King and York Brewery. OK place - friendly, informal and welcoming.

Visited August 2013

Peterborough, United Kingdom
“Nice food in a traditional pub on the pilgrims way”
Reviewed July 22, 2013

Stopped off after visiting Leeds Castle. Had a bit of character to the place and a nice pub garden. I enjoyed a lovely sausage and mash meal and my g.f enjoyed her chicken and mushroom pie - which was generously filled. Tasty garlic bread too!

We ate early - so can't really comment too much on the service but it seemed friendly enough and was fairly swift.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank Sahloff79
Hastings, United Kingdom
“We really enjoyed the whole experience”
Reviewed July 1, 2013

I decided to bring my daughter here for a mum & daughter, girly meal. We were not disappointed, despite being 15 minutes early and having not booked. We were warmly welcomed & shown to a table in the restaurant. We loved the feel of the building it has plenty of character.
We ordered starters I had soup & my daughter had the duck, for mains I had pork & my daughter had fajitas. The food was delicious and faultless. Everything was served quickly & the staff checked on us regularly.
We had a great experience & would definitely go back. Thank you

• Visited July 2013
Chippenham, United Kingdom
“just ok”
Reviewed June 7, 2013

We were staying at a local b&b so walked here hoping to get a meal. When we arrived at 7pm the bar was reasonably busy but there was no one in the restuarant. We were told that it might be difficult as we hadn't booked and could only have a table if we ate straight away.
The young girl who served us was friendlier and quite helpful but the food was nothing fantastic, the menu reads like a fancy restuarant but the food is just average. I had plaice, beans and potatoe and it was very average with small portions. My husbands steak,chips, tomato and mushroom was alsonothing fantastic. Although the pepper sauce was good.
There was a reasonable range of wines but no real local beer was offered.
By the time we had finished the restuarant was getting busy so we left after deciding the dessert menu was not very tempting.
The cost at 38 pounds was reasonable but wouldnt want to pay anymore for average meal.
Quite nice surroundings, old building and plenty of beams exposed.

• Visited June 2013
Rainham, United Kingdom
“No bad vibes or food, infact very happy.”
Reviewed May 28, 2013

My wife and i have dined a few times here and have never had a problem.
We went here with our Daughter on Friday and the restuarant was very busy which may have had someting to do with the garden show at the county showground, we did however book.
We arrived 15 mins earlier and it was not a problem to be seated.
The starters came up in good time and my daughter is now a convert of scallops dispite years of my trying to convert her.
All other starters were well presented and tasty.
I had the pork belly, my daughter had the steak and my wife had the cod ( not battered ) which she thoroughly enjoyed and commented on how ligh although filling the meal was.
a lovley pub with great food and friendly staff.
its good that the menu changes unlike the Kings arms in Boxley ( which we alo like but dont eat there as much now due to the smae menu and lack of veggie options)
Not to sure why other people have had bad experiences.

• Visited May 2013