“does the job”

Roman Rooms Hotel
Roman Rooms Hotel
Ranked #33 of 35 Hotels in Milton Keynes
Reviewed August 22, 2012

we stayed at this hotel as it was the cheapest place we could find after booking tickets for a gig at the national bowl. Rooms were basic but comfy and did the job.Slightly dissapointed with their breakfast as you help yourself in a small kitchen to toast, croissants and cereals anr fruit, (no hot food). Would use this hotel again if attendig another gig

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends

Reviewed July 24, 2012

There are no staff! It's like a hostel, but slightly better.
The rooms were adequate, linen clean, TV, tea and coffee etc.
Bathroom had a dribble shower that was barely warm, so bracing in the morning. The toilets had a macerator which was loud - and I could hear other room macerators working too.

The B&B wasn't at all what I expected, it was like going to my own kitchen, getting my own UNCOOKED breakfast and then had to do my own washing up! The layout of the 'hotel' is odd. There is no reception, you need number codes to get into the place....Don't expect bacon and eggs as you won't get it!

I'd picked the place as it was supposed to be close to Silverstone - 13 miles isn't close.

The adverts on the place are misleading, the pictures are too. Its tired, in need of refurbishment. It was all just one of the weirdest places I have ever experienced!

Room Tip: If you was basic, basic do it yourself, this is it.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 25, 2012

well what can I say

we booked this hotel as the B&B which I wanted was fully booked for moto gp weekend, we arrived to have instructions on how to get in and we went to our room to which we we were supposed to have had superior rooms, I have envisaged fluffy towels, bath , cooked breakfast and large comfy bed!

I go a bedroom where there had been a flood and there was lots of flaking paint on the ceiling, no bath but a shower that only really worked when you sat down as there was no pressure and no hot water, when I called the owner she said there was nothing she could do as her husband was at work!, the toilet didnt flush twice in a row, and made an awful noise.
And to top it all off it was a help yourself frozen crossaint breakfast in a kitchen

so dissappointing, felt very let down would never stay again

do not waste your money

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank 1norfolkbroad
Reviewed June 28, 2011

I stayed at Roman Rooms as I was playing golf in Milton Kenyes post-work (normally I commute from South London). Going by the reviews, it looked perfect for my needs, and in many ways it was fine; the check-in was simple enough having been given the access codes, the communal area was very nice indeed, and the breakfast kitchen looked well-stocked and clean (although I didn't use it due to my having had a large meal the night before). The bed was fairly comfortable (nice fat pillows) and lots of towels.

But now to the no-so-good bits. The room was very small and looked a bit tired. There was a large unit with drawers and a cupboard in one corner, which while being handy for storage took up an awful lot of room. Maybe building some drawers into the built in wardrobe would have been more space-efficient? In this cupboard was a t-shirt left by a previous occupant; that made me think, perhaps unfairly, about how thoroughly the room had been serviced (I left it hanging in the wardrobe).

After my round of golf and meal, what I really fancied was an hour of junk TV before I went to sleep. There was a TV with Freeview in the room. Unfortunately, there was no signal to the box. The cables were all in place, so I called the reception number to see if anything could be done, admittedly this was at about 10.15pm so I didn't expect instant action. What I did get was a call from a very nice and apologetic lady who confirmed that nothing could be done at that time; the problem with this was that I got the call at 11.45pm when I'd just managed to drift off to sleep...

And speaking of sleep, this was the main problem with my stay. I was unfortunate enough to pick the hottest and most humid night of the year, and despite the large open window there was no air circulation in the room whatsoever, a problem exacerbated by the room's small size, which made it rather toasty indeed. It was very uncomfortable, and after having two cold showers I finally resorted to soaking one of the towels, wringing it out, and putting it over me in order to try to cool down.

I know the proprieters of Roman Rooms can't control the weather, but what they could do (in the absence of aircon) is to provide a fan in the room in addition to the iron, ironing board and hairdryer, or at least make them available for hire. The room was stifling, and a medium-sized fan would have made a world of difference.

In summary; yes, I possibly would stay again, but it wouldn't necessarily be my first choice. Just a few little attentions to detail, however, would make a huge improvement.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
7  Thank Dex1966
Reviewed March 24, 2010

Just perfect for my trip. No problems. So easy to check in and stay. Internet was free, no stupid charge to use it. Pubs and restaurents nearby. Owners made it all so easy and friendly.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed January 31, 2010

This hotel is in wolverton, a few minutes out of the milton keynes centre. Easy to get to by train or car. Rooms are very clean, and the owner/managers friendly and very helpful. I can recommend this hotel for anyone wanting to stay in the area. I doubt you'd find better accommodation for this price anywhere !

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SJH7
Reviewed July 2, 2009

We enjoyed our one night stay, stress free considering we took the whole family including a newborn baby and a 4 and 6 year old. Breakfast was help yourself, which was perfect for us. Everything was clean and tidy, interior of the building was gorgeous. Would recommend this hotel if you need to stay in Wolverton for what ever reason.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with family