“Would never choose to stay again!!!” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Cock Hotel

and 1 more site!
The Cock Hotel
Ranked #27 of 34 Hotels in Milton Keynes
“Would never choose to stay again!!!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2013

I wad here for 2 weeks for work purposes. The 1st room i stayed in was hidious it was on a hill, and the duvets stunk of smoke!!! Obv i complained to the manager and she came in and smelt the duvet to try and clarify i was telling the truth how rood! I then came back from my training the next door and a random lady was in my room! They'd moved my stuff without even consulting me or asking if it was okay to do that, again very rood and a bit cheeky. Second room wad okayish was very dark and spookyish, the iron did not work, and the shower water was cold for almost half n hour before it became even luke warm. Only stayed for work purposes would never stay again!!!

• Stayed September 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Jason C, Guest Relations Manager at The Cock Hotel, responded to this review, September 26, 2013
I am sorry to hear of your disappointment. I can assure you that it is not a regular occurrence to receive feedback regarding the smell of smoke, this is why a member of our management team needed to investigate this matter, this was not of any implication to yourself. Our building has a lot of history and character and this does mean that you will come across characteristic features like windy corridors and uneven floors, I do believe this adds to the history of our hotel. I do hope that you would reconsider staying with us again in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
Maidstone, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2013

On another day and having been given a different room, I would probably be writing a different review.

We arrived to check into our hotel room just before 2pm (the check in time). We were given room number 8. After we were given our key and vague directions as to how to find our room (it is a maze of corridors) we opened our door to the most horrendous stench! At first we thought the smell was damp, but having gone into the bathroom we realised it was the drains! We only had 15 mins to change and get to a Wedding, so did not have time to raise the problem with the staff and knowing that we would be at the Wedding until the early hours of the morning we knew that not much time would be spent in the room, so we left the window open and the fan in the bathroom on so we were not greeted by the same stench when we got in. The room itself was modernly decorated and bed comfortable.

At about 10am we had a knock on the door, it was the chambermaid wondering if we were out of the room yet. Why they can't wait until 11am (check out time) is beyond me! I raised the issue of the smell with her and she confessed our room has a problem with the drains as they were old and that the Hotel was aware of the situation - why are they letting out this room when they know of a problem or why don't they get it fixed???

When we went to breakfast (included in the price), like other reviewers we wandered into the restaurant, we were not greeted by a member of staff or shown to a table, so we found a table ourselves. We had to call one of the waitresses over to ask if we could order the 'Full English'. She brought us our tea, coffee and toast, then a 40 minute wait ensued, until it became apparent that nothing else was coming! When we enquired, the waiter confessed that the waitress hadn't put the order in. We couldn't wait any longer as we had to get home to collect our children.

When we checked out, there was no way I was intending to pay for a breakfast that never arrived and I certainly did not feel the room was worthy of the £85 they were asking. I politely pointed out our grievances with the receptionist who was very apologetic, admitted she knew of the drain problems and offered us a £35 discount . We were satisfied to be charged £50.

As I said, on another day with another room we would probably be leaving a great review as the hotel itself is done very well in a modern style and none of the friends we were with who did manage to get a breakfast had any complaints.

Room Tip: If you are offered room 8, ask if there is still a problem with the drains!!!!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Bear0972
Jason C, Guest Relations Manager at The Cock Hotel, responded to this review, September 24, 2013
Thank you for your recent review of The Cock Hotel. I am sorry to hear that your recent stay was a little disappointing and I can assure you these matters are being looked into and will be rectified for future stays. We do hope that you will stay with us again where you can experience our more usual high standard.

Travelers are raving about these Milton Keynes hotels

Bucks
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2013

Also check out The Cock Hotel Restaurant & Bar for further reviews on this establishment.

My review on the breakfast in the restaurant is included within these, I cannot comment on the rooms:

“Terrible customer service for breakfast this morning: DOWNRIGHT RUDE”

Have just returned from having breakfast at the Cock Hotel in Stony and have been left with a bitter taste in my mouth, not from the food but from the poor customer service received from the waitress serving (dark haired woman, whose name I believe is Dee).

They say they serve breakfast all morning but when we entered at about 11.15ish we were not welcomed/greeted apart from "is it just the three of you?" and no attempt was made to make room for our baby's pram that we had with us. When we ordered, there was no smile, acknowledgements, conversation or anything that somebody with social skills would class as polite. Whilst we were waiting for our food, the waitress said very loudly to the other waitress that she was "still waiting for the breakfast people" to go. Clearly we were an inconvenience to her, and not welcome in the slightest. There was also another table of people in the room so we weren't even the last table there.

Food was slow but was ok when it arrived, although my husband's and my father-in-law's full breakfasts were rather small (spoonful of beans, spoonful of scrambled eggs). Again, the waitress came across very rude by just plonking down our plates in front of us. We had to ask for tomato ketchup and brown sauce; this was not offered. We also had to ask for the bill as was not aware we had to pay at the bar next door (they don't bother to note what you ordered so actually you could get away with paying for less than what you had - not that we did. The prices are not listed on the menu though.). We had the NERVE to ask the rude waitress what table we were sitting at, as there was no number on the table - and she replied huffily.

I will definitely be taking my custom elsewhere next time I want a nice breakfast - to be honest, this was my third choice: my first being The Fox which was closed, and the second Mange Tout which was full. Manners cost nothing but this waitress was so unfriendly that I will be informing people not to bother going there if they want a nice meal. Management need to have a serious word with this waitress!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank joyjoy5
Thank you for taking the time to write your review of The Cock Hotel. Please be assured that your feedback has been taken very seriously and we are using this to improve our service. This is not a regular occurrence here at The Cock Hotel, we pride ourselves upon our customer service and hopefully at some point in the future you will visit us again where we can demonstrate this.
Oxfordshire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2013

My partner and I stayed at this hotel for one night on a bed and breakfast basis. I booked using the hotel's own website and paid £85, which we thought was a bit pricey considering other hotels in the area, but it was conveniently situated for us. We noticed when checking in that the walk up rate for the identical package was £71, £14 less than I had paid. I did query this as usually you would expect this figure to be more and not less. I was told the £71 was for guidance only but in my view this does seem very confusing and a little misleading. Despite my protestations, I was not offered any real explanation other than "there is nothing I can do about that", where as we all know that is not the case.

Our room was adequate and nothing special. Some of the room furniture was looking very tired with numerous stains on the table tops. The hotel does have a nice bar and seating area and the food at the function we were attending was very good. I enjoyed scrambled egg and smoked salmon for breakfast and my partner liked his kipper; a good and varied menu.

Given that everybody else in our party paid less than we did and the displayed rack rate was significantly lower than we were charged, we would not stay here again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for reviewing our hotel. The rate displayed was not a walk up rate but a display of where our room rates start from as a guidance for guests. Our room rates do change due to a number of reasons for e.g. how many rooms we have available and the day of the week etc. We are an old building and have recently undergone a refurbishment however we did decide to keep some of the furniture as in keeping with the history of the building. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and hope that you would reconsider staying with us again in the future after the confusion with room rates.
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2013 via mobile

Visited the Cock with my wife and three young children on an early Sunday evening for dinner. Firstly I have to say the entire interior is massively improved since the recent refurbishment. Unfortunately our dining experience wasn't great. The barman warned us there was a 30 minute wait for food when ordering but the reality was 50 minutes later our food was only just appearing. Kid's cheeseburgers were very dry. Vegetables and salad on adult's plates had clearly been either reheated several times or brown and past it's best in the case of the salad. We ended up leaving most of our pie and burrito. Would have raised it with a waiter but after the long wait our kids were desperate to leave.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to write your review of The Cock Hotel. I am sorry to hear that your recent dining experience was not to the high standard both customers and ourselves here would expect. We are indeed a busy pub/ restaurant which unfortunately does mean that we do sometimes have a wait for food but I am sorry to hear that the food you received was disappointing. We have taken this on board and we will use this feedback to continually strive to improve our customers experience with us.
california
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2013

As Americans, this word is rarely used--so of course we had to go to The Cock to have a pint. Cute outside patio, great service. Fun place for a couple of drinks. Very cute town. Lots of fun pubs on both sides of streets.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your recent review of our hotel. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your experience and you would recommend it to others. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Westport, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2013

the lady at reception was very helpful, she changed our bedroom to one at the front, the room was a little small but a great room, other than the noise in the street which went on until 2am. we were very disappointed with our evening meal, the service was slow and poor. my wife was looking forward to her marinated lamb, which when it eventually arrived was not good, I had mussels, which were ok, but a very small portion. breakfast was good and the staff at breakfast were pleasant

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Jason C, Guest Relations Manager at The Cock Hotel, responded to this review, August 29, 2013
The lady at reception was very helpful, she changed our bedroom to one at the front, the room was a little small but a great room, other than the noise in the street which went on until 2am. we were very disappointed with our evening meal, the service was slow and poor. my wife was looking forward to her marinated lamb, which when it eventually arrived was not good, I had mussels, which were ok, but a very small portion. breakfast was good and the staff at breakfast were pleasant

Thank you for your review of our hotel, I am pleased to see that you enjoyed our accommodation facilities and we will always endeavour to give our guests the highest possible standard of service that we can. I apologise for your disappointment with your evening meal, we are an extremely popular hotel and restaurant and this does sometimes have an impact on service times however this should not have impacted on the food quality. Thank you for mentioning this fact and this will allow us to work hard on any downfalls so we can constantly strive to improve.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Milton Keynes
The Saracens Head Hotel
#2 of 3 in Towcester
Holiday Inn Express Milton Keynes
Premier Inn Milton Keynes South Hotel

Been to The Cock Hotel? Share your experiences!