“Good food and lovely atmosphere”
Review of Planet Dosa - CLOSED

Cuisines: Indian, Asian, Sri Lankan
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Brunch, Dinner, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Cash Only, Delivery, Digital Payments, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Seating, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Planet Dosa offers authentic Indian and Sri Lankan cuisine based in Milton Keynes (close to Escape and Shopping Centre). We specialise in South Indian style food such as Chettinard dishes, Dosas and have a wide choice of dishes suitable for vegetarians. The specialist Sri Lankan cuisine consist of 'kothu' varieties (favourite street food) and devil dishes. The restaurant is modern, service is relaxed and there is ample free parking all day and night.
Northampton, United Kingdom
“Good food and lovely atmosphere”
Reviewed May 20, 2013

I visited Planet Dosa a couple of times with my family. We had a very lovely time there and the food was very nice too. The staff was friendly and very attentive. My children were keen to try different food, we asked for advice and were recommended a couple of dishes that were really delicious (Chettinad lamb curry, garlic fish curry and aubergine curry). The Italian ice cream was also a great hit with the children! I would definitely go again and I would not hesitate to recommend Planet Dosa to friends and family

2 Thank Giulia F
Hi

Thanks for your recent visit to Planet Dosa and your feedback on TripAdvisor. Much apprecited. Pleased to hear that you had a good overall experience at Planet Dosa and looking forward to your next trip to the restaurant.

Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
“"Houston, I don't think we've had a problem..."”
Reviewed May 14, 2013

What could go wrong with a restaurant dedicated to the modest Dosa?

Located in the perfect spot for visitors in MK and shoppers in CMK, Planet Dosa appears to be the new kid on the block and seems to have a lot to offer.

Now, I am a person who has had A LOT of experience with Asian cuisine. I've travelled around in Asia before and I've been to various restaurants in London/Luton etc. where Asian restaurants thrive. Although, my personal preference leans towards oriental food, I do quite like Indian food- one of my favourite items being the Dosa. So, you can probably imagine my delight at hearing that a new restaurant DEDICATED to the Dosa was going to open (it's a good thing I read the paper).

For those of you who don't know what a Dosa is, it's basically like a MASSIVE pancake (no, I'm not kidding) but a lot less fattening.

Anyway, I went to the restaurant with some family members (I insisted that they had to come) and we all tried a variety of dishes.

We noted that: service is good but could be a lot faster- though no complaints as it is a new restaurant and it was somewhat a comforting thought that perhaps the food was being prepared very carefully, hence the delay. The staff are friendly, especially the manager who welcomed us in. Upon entering the restaurant, immediately we noticed the amount of work that went into the decorations- the wall decorations were particularly nice and one of the children was particularly enchanted by the glowy lights. Although there were probably enough lights to re-stock IKEA, it really contributed to the atmosphere and made the environment quite nice.

BACK TO THE MENU: we tried some Vada, Chili Chicken and Chili Paneer for the starter which were lovely (though the chili could have sunk into the cheese a little more). I personally recommend trying the Chili Chicken. For the main course we all shared a variety of Dosas- the Masala Dosa and the Jaffna Dosa were really nice, I particularly liked the Jaffna Dosa as it was one that I've never tried before and the sauces that went with it, complimented it nicely. One of the children enjoyed a Kids Dosa which was really nicely presented (like a volcano, actually).

Despite originally going there for the Dosas, I enjoyed the Mutton Kothu Roti the most- it had a lot of flavour and whilst we were waiting for the food, we could hear it being prepared, which was a nice touch as it felt like we were really in Sri Lanka. For dessert we had the nice Italian ice cream, which is something the kids were looking forward to.

The only reason I did not give this restaurant the 'excellent' rating is because the service could really be a lot faster. MK is an area dominated in culinary terms by quality restaurants, if Planet Dosa is aiming for the top, then that is an area that they have to improve in. Furthermore, I think they should do some little things that customers don't expect- I've always found that restaurants that do this rank high in my mental list of good restaurants. Surprise me, y'know?

I say these things because I don't want a restaurant dedicated to the humble Dosa to disappear.
Overall, I would recommend this restaurant to others- high quality food for a good price, a nice atmosphere and a good variety of dishes to try. I will definitely be re-visiting.

• Visited April 2013
Hi Catt-Lynn

Thanks for your recent visit to Planet Dosa and your feedback - it is very much appreciated. Pleased to hear that overall you had a good experience in the restaurant and enjoyed some of the classic Indian and Sri Lankan dishes. Being a new comer we are always looking forward to encouragement and honest feedback from customers like yourself and thriving to improve the overall package you get from us. We have taken certain steps in improving the service and trust on your next visit you will notice a positive difference.

Planet Dosa
“A lovely place with fantastic Food”
Reviewed May 13, 2013

I visited Planet Dosa on Sunday afternoon after several hours of shopping.

The seating was very comfortable and the atmosphere was very relaxing. Good starter I thought.

I found the food to be just excellent, the colours of the food were very inviting and the taste was just superb. The manager at the restaurant ensured that i was well looked after. I would definitely revisit. The pricing is very competitive, I have paid a lot more for a lot less elsewhere.

• Visited May 2013
Review collected in partnership with this restaurant

2 Thank JackyDada
Hi JackyDada

Thanks for your visit to Planet Dosa and your feedback on TripAdvisor - much appreicated. I am pleased to hear that you had a good experience in the restaurant and looking forward to your next visit.

“Fantastic”
Reviewed May 11, 2013

I went to planet dosa today, ta food was fantastic,specially lamb biriyani &love Thier mocktail too. I can't wait till visit again.

2 Thank Godfath
Hi Godfath

Thanks for your visit to Planet Dosa and your feedback on TripAdvisor - much appreicated. We have introduced further items to the drinks and mocktails menu and you should try them on your next visit.

Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
“Avoid this one!”
Reviewed May 6, 2013

I went there with some friends as it had newly opened. The ambience resembled a glorified Indian college canteen and there was a big group of customers who were talking so loudly that I am sure they could be heard on the street outside. The management seemed to be okay about it. Our drinks took ages to arrive and only came after prompting the waitress. Other tables who had orders placed after us got their food before us. It took over an hour for our food to arrive after the starters had been served. The food came after we complained to the manager that we were about to leave as we had to go for a movie. The food is not worth the wait and there are better places than this one. This may be early days for them but the management do not seem to be bothered about the reputation that they are creating. I agree with your earlier reviewer that the MK Dosa market stall in Milton Keynes serves better South Indian food than this restaurant

1 Thank KumarMorjaria
Safwan A, Manager at Planet Dosa, responded to this review, May 10, 2013
Hi

We have reviewed your comments and very sorry to hear that you did not have the experience you expect from our restaurant. The aim of Planet Dosa is to provide great food with quality service and appreciate on your visit we failed in certain area. I do remember your visit and on that day we had certain staffing issues and hence the service fell below our standard. However no excuses and we are working hard to improve the overall package on offer.

We have had many positive un-biased feedback from number of customers and once again we regret that your experience was not the same.

Thanks