Campanile Hotel Milton Keynes - Fenny Stratford
Ranked #31 of 35 Hotels in Milton Keynes
Reviewed October 21, 2012

the room was basic, but comfortable. the sink in the bathroom was cracked and there was a hair in it... the staff came across as bored and not especially helpful. overall: fine if you're not paying too much.

Room Tip: some of the rooms on the ground floor overlook the car park.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo

Reviewed October 1, 2012

If you want an uninterrupted sleep on a Saturday night go somewhere else, people in and out all night and fire alarms at 5am.....and take pillows with you as you only get one. Basic and overpriced. It is purely functional and is within walking distance of family which is the only reason to stay there when visiting. Have never used the restaurant and from other reviews would not bother.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MerylLeeds_UK
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Good value. The hotel was clean, bright and the bed comfortable. The staff were friendly and helpful. Breakfast was nice. I had a room at the back overlooking the playing fields. The free wi-fi didn't work for me. Would recommend.

Reviewed September 24, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for a conference of about 50+ people. .i was checked in by two welcoming receptionists. They explained to me that the restaurant was closed until 7pm and explained the situation. This was understandable and i accepted this. I noticed that the staff were under alot of pressure but handled this well and continued to work to a high standard. I had dinner on all 3 nights i stayed this was delicious. I was seated at my table and to be honest i wasnt expecting such a good service due to it being a 2star hotel but to be honest i felt right at home. All staff were welcoming and proffesional..

I would definatly recommend this hotel!!!!

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank SEARCHER555
Reviewed September 23, 2012

We visited this "hotel" when conferencing with a group of around 50 people. I really hope that the organizers do not chose this "hotel" again.

First, there was no restaurant available when we arrived around 12 o'clock a Friday. No explanation given. No indication whatsoever that the restaurant was closed. Not even an excuse.

Evening, first day: We waited a couple of hours to be served and then several groups left the hotel to find dinner somewhere else. I estimate that 15 - 20 people chose that way out.

The breakfast next day had several problems. No coffe mugs/cups for a long while. No glasses for the orange juice. No yoghurt. Staff didn't seem to care. Dinner the second evening worked. We had to wait, but it worked.

Dinner third day was supposed to be a social event. I had ordered (in advance) a paté, Duck and Crème Brûlée. The paté came without any bread, the duck was one wing, nothing more. I had expected half a breast - possibly a leg. But I got one meager wing.
I protested, but nothing happened. The very junior waiter that served us didn't seem to understand what was wrong. He just smiled and admitted that he was very newly employed. I asked to have a talk with the head-waiter, but nothing happened.
I then took my dish and put it on the table in the kitchen, saying that I could not accept that dish. The head-waiter (or restaurant master) started yelling at me and told me not to come into her kitchen. I found argumentation fruitless and left to eat at the reastaurant we had eaten the first night.

The dinner was supposed to start at 18.30 and when I left just after 21.00, most of the other delegates hadn't been served their main course.

I really haven't experienced anything like this in my 40+ years of travel in four out of five continents.

On top of that, the bar and restaurant couldn't accept AMEX or VISA because "there was a problem with the card reader". That problem was not corrected during our stay.

Never that place again. Never, ever.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Skogsgurra
Reviewed September 12, 2012

I required a hotel for a two day stay (September, 2012) in Milton Keynes, close to Bletchley. As I had no transportation, I needed to be close as possible, and this was the single requirement when booked the hotel. I booked directly via the Campanile website to get the best rate on this occasion.

On arrival I discovered that the property was directly on the A5 (Watling Street) heading towards Dunstable. So I asked for a room on the rear, that appeared to overlook some sports fields. The front office staff completed the checking but without pride or a warm welcome.

There is a very large night club directly opposite the hotel, which I think was the reason for the alarm going off at 0300 in the morning, both nights during my stay. Many of the guests staying at the hotel during the weekend where club visitors as well. The food was similar to a motorway service station (just fuel), I was expecting better from a well-known European wide hotel brand with French roots.

The reception area and accommodation is accessed via separate entrances, but I was not told what to do in case of an emergency, or it there was night security staff.

This hotel met the single requirement I had when booking, but little else.

Room Tip: Rooms on the rear of the hotel are quieter, as the hotel is on the A5 with very large night club dir...
3  Thank Trade2012
Reviewed September 10, 2012

I booked this through Hotels.com for £39 including continental breakfast. The room appeared to be the cheapest I could find near Milton Keynes on that night.

The reception staff were friendly on check-in and check-out.

The room itself was basic but tidy and clean. There was ample tea and coffee, plus some biscuits. The bathroom was also clean, however there was only one towel.

The hotel is opposite a nightclub, although this was closed on the Wednesday when I stayed. The road outside was noisy in the morning and the window did little to prevent the noise.

The free wi-fi was unusable. This was one of the main reasons for choosing this hotel, so I could do some work. However, the connection was very slow and took too long for anything to load. In the end, I used the 3G connection on my phone (and that wasn't cheap).

Breakfast was disappointing. There were no cups, glasses, plates or staff. Everyone looked confused. When a member of staff did appear, he looked stressed. Eventually, some plates and cups were provided. The selection was mainly toast, croissants, cereal and juice. That's it. No other pastries to choose from. There was also a small cooked breakfast option for £2.75, however I chose to visit Ikea (about 5 minutes drive) for their 99p breakfast.

Overall, good for one night but I wouldn't stay longer.

Room Tip: Room at the back of the hotel