“Birthday trip”

GreenLeadersBronze level
London, United Kingdom
“Birthday trip”
Reviewed February 23, 2013

We have stayed at Milton Keynes a few times but this was the first time at the Novotel. I was trying to find 3 star plus with a pool at a good price which this hotel deliverd. I needed a family room for 4. The hotel was clean and modern, our room was not ready but was offered another but they had to carry a put me up bed through from another room, i had to ask for more pillows, towels,cups but they did this with no problem. The swimming pool is smaller than the picture looks so if it looks busy i would wait a while and go later. My 11 son was pleased to find an xbox in the lobby (free) . The room was very quite although the warm air heater was noisy through the night but there was no banging of doors. I had paid for breakfast and the children ate free, there was every thing there. The children sat at two tables where they could watch and listen to the telly with headphones CITV,CBBIES, while me and my husband could enjoy a quite breakfast a first in a long time. So yes i would recommend this hotel but you have to drive to the shops as it is to far to walk, plus there is nowhere to go outside the hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Slagier11, General Manager at Novotel Milton Keynes, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Dear Guest, I am very greatful that you took time to write your feedback after your stay at the Novotel Milton Keynes. I am glad to read your positive experience and I agree with you we are not the best place if you wish to be close to the shops by walking distance. But we are only 2 minutes drive and the great benefit are that you do not need to pay for the car park and you avoid the noisy crowd on the evening. Again many thanks for choosing us and I look forward to welcoming you back and you r family.

Kind regards,

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (150)
Peterborough, England
Reviewed February 18, 2013

Check-in was efficient, requiring only a signature and handover of room cards and the gentleman on duty was excellent.

We were allocated a disabled room, although we didn’t need it. Whilst this probably means more space, the bathroom has an awkward feel about it for non-disabled users. However, although I have little experience of such things, it appeared very well equipped for wheelchair users, including a large accessible shower with fold-down seat.

Obviously popular with families, this means a lot of noise in the corridors and the soundproofing between rooms was also poor.

The hotel is slightly isolated. Although this allows free parking, you then have to either drive into centre and pay for parking, or get a taxi at additional expense. Taxi to theatre district is about £3-£4 each way.

When trying to get a taxi, reception was unmanned and I struggled to find anyone. Eventually spotted a sign for priority taxi ‘phone, but there was no ‘phone, just a pile of business cards! Fortunately was able to use my mobile to request a taxi.

We went to the lounge area with the intention of ordering a couple of drinks and sitting and reading for a time. However, the drinks were expensive, about £7 for a large glass of wine, and the seating was uncomfortable. The “white” sofas by the windows were in need of a good clean and the air conditioning blows cold air down the back of your neck. We retreated to the room without ordering anything.

For access to the pool/gym you have to get a card from the reception desk. The lock looks like a normal room lock, but it won’t accept your room key. The changing rooms were small, but the lockers are free. My wife was reluctant to use the shower in the female changing room as she felt it wasn’t very clean.

The pool was small but acceptable, although it was salty, which we feared was due to sauna users not showering before jumping in and a lack of water changes! No Jacuzzi unfortunately.

A few loungers, table, chairs – could have done with a few more at busy times but not a lot of spare space to put them.

The steam room and sauna were a reasonable size but are on a timer switch to save energy. I thought this was a good idea and I’ve never seen it elsewhere, but they do take 10-15 minutes to warm up so remember to hit the start switch before having an initial swim, then it should be ready for you later.

We did not have breakfast in the hotel since we felt that at nearly £28 for two, we’d prefer to find somewhere else nearby and there is ample choice in and around Milton Keynes. Wifi was £6 for 24 hours – better than some, but many hotels now offer this free.

The room was a good price, and the pool was OK. I might be tempted back if there was a good B&B rate, but probably not otherwise.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Slagier11, General Manager at Novotel Milton Keynes, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Dear Guest, Thank you for your feedback and for choosing the Novotel Milton Keynes. I took notes of the different areas you mentionned. We will bring immediate improvements with the hotel team. We are very popular indeed with families on week end, but that busy period is mainly due to the half term. I hope we will get another opportunity to welcome you back at he hotel very soon.
Swansea, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 17, 2013

We stayed at this hotel this weekend. I had booked in advance online and managed to get 1 night stay for £47. The reason I had booked was for a birthday treat for my boyfriend so that we could visit the Snozone indoor skiing centre on the Saturday night. The hotel is very close to the Xscape complex which houses the Snozone, along with an array of ski and surf shops, restaurants, indoor sky diving, and cinema. Also just next to this complex is a huge shopping centre.

For accessibility to these facilities, the location was perfect. First impressions of the hotel as we walked in were that it was very clean, modern, and welcoming. They had a lovely bar and dining area to the right of the check in desk. The hotel looked busy with a nice atmosphere. There was also free parking outside the hotel, and we had no trouble finding a space right outside.

We arrived at the hotel at around 1.30pm. We had recieved a confirmation email when booking advising us that check-in would be available from 12pm onwards, so we had arrived well after that time, and expected our room to be ready. However, the receptionist informed us that the only rooms that were prepared and ready for us were ones without a bath, and only a shower. If we wanted a room with a bath, then we would have to wait. This didnt bother us too much, and we settled for a room with just a shower, although I thought it strange that these rooms had not been cleaned and prepared seeing as we had arrived such a long time after the advised check in time.

When we eventually receieved the key and entered our room, I was a little cross, because I noticed immediately that this room had not been cleaned at all since the last guest had left! The bed was unmade with dirty sheets from the last visitor. There was rubbish in all the bins. The toiled was unflushed with a dirty toilet seat. It was clear that house keeping had not cleaned this room ready for our arrival. I immediately went out into the corridor where the cleaners were tending to other rooms and complained. A gentleman who worked at the hotel came to look at it and said they would send someone to clean it for us. We said we would go down to the bar for a drink and wait whilst they cleaned the room for us. This wasnt a major inconvenience to us, but I thought they could have perhaps offered us a different room that was already prepared, or even an apology! I also thought this was really unprofessional because of the stated check in time being 12pm?? Surely when we arrived at gone 1.30 our room should have been ready??

Anyway, after our drink at the bar, we went back up to our room, where everything had been cleaned and sheets changed (Thank goodness!). The room was actually a disabled room, which meant it was very spacious, but it also had a seat in the shower, a disabled toilet and hand rails which we really didnt need, but it was fine. The bed was firm but comfortable. The room was a comfortable temperature. It had a nice flat screen tv with freeview, and a kettle with teas, coffees etc. Plenty of towels available. Big wardrobe space, and also an iron and ironing board. It was very suitable for the one night stay.

We didnt eat at the hotel, but I looked into the breakfast on the menu in the room and thought it was hugely overpriced, which is often the case in these hotels. Around £14 for a continental breakfast, and £16.95 for a cooked breakfast!? The bar menu looked appetizing though and not too expensive. The lady serving at the bar was very friendly and helpful. The drinks werent too bad in price.

We used the swimming pool area on the sunday after spending the saturday night skiing. We were looking forward to resting our aches! Changing rooms were simple, with free lockers. Lots of towels available. The steam room was lovely, with mood lighting and tea tree vapour which cleared our colds nicely. Unfortunately the sauna did not seem to work. The sign on the door advised to press the button and wait for 20 mins for the sauna to heat up, which we did but nothing happened no matter how long we waited. We attempted to swim in the pool (which did look a bit cloudy!!) but it was funn of children running and dive bombing into the pool which meant we couldnt swim at all. We didnt mind as it was lovely to see the children enjoy themselves, but if you were looking to have a relaxing swim, that wasnt going to happen! So we used the steam room just one more time and then went back to the room to shower and prepare for home.

Check out was at 12pm, which was plenty of time. The receptionist said we could check out later until 5pm if we wanted to pay a bit extra but there was no need for us as we were going back to the Xscape centre for lunch and a shop before heading home.

Overall, this was a comfortable stay with a few hiccups, but it served its purpose as a base for us to enjoy my boyfriends birthday. We have stayed at the Novotel in Cardiff before, which I must say is of a much higher standard just in terms of room and pool cleanliness. But there were no major issues, and we enjoyed our stay. The price was also extemely good, and location was excellent!!

Room Tip: If the receptionist asks if you want to wait for a room with a bath then I would, just because you w...
1 Thank LoRuth
Dear Guest, Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent visit. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay at the end and we have noted your comments about your experience on arrival. We will definitely investigate on that matter to get a better understanding on that unusual incident. Thank you again for sharing your experience and I hope to see you soon at the hotel.
Reviewed February 12, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I stayed here while doing some late night shopping in Milton Keynes. The hotel is easy to find and well presented externally with plenty of parking. The reception area is modern and the check-in was quick and simple. The room was fine for the money we paid (£33) but, the hotel does look like it due some major refitting of the rooms, the heating in our room did not work and the room was therefore a little cold overnight. The pool area is useful and the changing rooms are in need to redecoration. This hotel was fine for the money we paid but, go expecting the Ritz.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest, Thank you very much for leaving your thoughts on to this website. It was a real pleasure to welcome you at the Novotel and we certainly look forward to seeing you again.
Reviewed February 5, 2013

Having stayed at several novotels. Milton Keynes is the worst. It's not the staff it's a few things.
no bath, been given a disabled room twice . ! This could be using a room someone else requires, lots of traffic noise. breakfast- scrambled egg disgusting, sausages never seen a grill or frying pan. Positives - clean- does peroni and easy to find. I wouldn't stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask to stay at the bottom of the corridor less road noise.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Slagier11, General Manager at Novotel Milton Keynes, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay at the Novotel Milton Keynes, but I was very disappointed to hear that your experience did not meet your expectations.
Please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.
At Novotel, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every guest and your feedback is very important to us. I am really sorry to hear that your bedroom type did not provide the bath you were looking for. Our standard rooms have definitely combined bath and shower.
I will personally speak to the chef with regards to the scrambled egg. Our quality check is part of our procedure and I am sorry that you were not satisfied. We can always cook some "A la minute" upon request.
Again many thanks for your loyalty to our brand and I hope you will give us another opportunity to welcome you back.

Yours sincerely,
Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 5, 2013

Booked this hotel as it was the cheapest at the time we were booking, plus we liked the idea of a swimming pool. Read mixed reviews on TripAdvisor and had never stayed in a Novotel before, therefore we weren't expecting much.

However, we were pleasantly surprised and will be using Novotel in the future.

The room was a great surprise, the double bed comfy, a large sofa bed, separate toilet and bathroom, large TV and extra amenities. The room was perfectly clean and everything worked without any problems. You get the typical ironing board, tea making facilities, free soap and shower gel and a hairdryer. Great value for the price we paid.

We used the swimming pool, steam room and sauna. All were great, the changing rooms clean. The only problem we found with the pool was being a family hotel even into the late evening there were children running around, splashing in the pool. We are all for the family fun however it would perhaps be a nice idea to add a small lane for those who want to swim. Other than that, the pool was clean and the changing rooms well kept. The service was great, the check-in staff saw us trying to get into the pool and shouted down to us that we needed a different key, very attentive and quick to make the customers happy.

The hotel is a straight drive down to centre:MK, about a mile, makes a nice walk or a quick drive to local amenities. It cost us £4.30 for a taxi in the evening. Not a bad price to pay to reach the centre. The hotel is easy to reach by car and the parking is adequate for the hotel, no fighting over parking spaces, plus it's free! Bonus.

However, we encountered a few problems, there was a wedding taking place on the Saturday night, having worked in hotels i know they can play havoc for the rest of the guests, being on the ground floor we were kept up a little by shouting in the halls and slamming of doors late at night. Something that isn't easily changed and to be honest we were just glad the wedding party were clearly having a good time. The smokers were congregating outside of the door to smoke, again not a big problem but could easily be sorted by making it clear to customers that they should smoke by the tables just around the side of the entrance.

Overall, we had a great stay. The hotel is excellent, the staff efficient and friendly with good facilities, the problems we encountered were minor problems that any hotel will have so we can't help but give them five stars! If you are ever in Milton Keynes looking for a decent hotel to crash in visit here first! We are frequent visitors to Milton Keynes due to family links and this hotel exceeds the city centre ones we have stayed in! We will be visiting again very soon.

Room Tip: Don't worry about being given a ground floor room, they are set back from the spa facilities and...
Dear Guest,
I am very glad that you enjoyed your stay at the Novotel Milton Keynes.
Your detailled feedback is very positive and thank you so much for becoming a Novotel client.
I hope you will enjoy the benefits of our loyalty card "Leclub" if you become a regular user of our brand. We look forward to welcoming you back very soon at the hotel for another great experience.

With kind regards,
Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 4, 2013

I stayed at the Novotel Milton Keynes again with my two young children. The hotel continues to be excellent in every way. Check-in was fast, efficient, and personal. Staff were polite and attentive. The room was clean and well kitted-out as usual with everything working and decor of a high standard. The sofa-bed was also excellent and very comfortable. We used the pool again which was great - nice and warm with clean changing area and easy access. The boys asked to eat in the dining room on the first night because they remember eating there last time - the kid's menu is spot on with healthy "proper" meals on offer at very reasonable prices. Despite being busy, service was fast and the staff were very friendly. Breakfast was great as ever with the food being continually replenished and the cooked breakfast was delicious. The play area with xBox and jenga bricks is always a winner with the boys and they made lots of friends.

This stay was another first for me. Over the years, I've stayed at many hotels over a weekend when a wedding wrecked the atmosphere (and sometimes decor!) with the inevitable noise that comes with them. There was a wedding at the Novotel this weekend. We didn't hear a peep and weren't disturbed once. The staff clearly managed the event very well ensuring that other guests were considered.

Location is still great. I recommend popping over the road to take a walk in the beautiful Linford Woods with the wooden sculptures. Everywhere else in MK is 5 mins away max.

All in all, this hotel continues to excel. Excellent staff, intelligent layout, good pricing. Novotel MK gets the basics right. I cannot this place recommend highly enough.

Room Tip: All rooms are easily accessible with the lifts available. However, if you want extra convenience, as...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Slagier11, General Manager at Novotel Milton Keynes, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
Dear Guest,
I very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at Novotel Milton Keynes. It is always a pleasure to receive very positive feedback. I will share your comments with our team. I am sure that this feedback will serve as an encouragement to all of our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services.
I really look forward to welcoming you back soon at the Novotel.

Best regards,