“Better than expected”

GreenLeadersBronze level
mk
“Better than expected”
Reviewed December 15, 2012

stayed for 1 night for a family party the hotel we wanted was fully booked and they recomended this hotel and it was better than expected the rooms were all very spacious we had a suit that was huge everything was clean and tidy the staff very helpfull we all ate in the restaurant this was exellent all food was hot and very good quality service was great we all had breakfast there was a very good choice and the cooked breakfast was hot and fresh this was a great stay exellent value for money i will definatly be going back

Room Tip: we had 4 rooms all very good but suits are huge worth the upgrade
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Slagier11, General Manager at Novotel Milton Keynes, responded to this review, December 17, 2012
Dear Guest, Many thanks for the positive comments, I am happy we were able to make your stay with us so enjoyable. I hope we can welcome you back to the Novotel Milton Keynes again very soon. Season's Greetings! Kind regards, Sylvain Lagier, Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
Bradford, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 15, 2012

We stayed for one night in an executive room at a very good price. We have stayed in a number of Novotels around the world and so know pretty much what to expect. This one, whilst not one of the best in the Novotel pack, was good, comfortable and very good value.

The location is good - only £3 in a taxi (less than 5 minutes) to the main shopping and restaurant area of town.

We were staying here on a Friday night just before Christmas and so was slightly apprehensive about Christmas Party noise, but the receptionist put us in a room far away from the party venue - without being asked - and so we had no party noise at all.

The reception area is smart, but the corridors are clearly a little "tired" and in need of a refresh. This is not surprising given how long Milton Keynes has been there, and that this was probably one of the first hotels here.

The room was comfortable and clean. Well appointed with Bose Sound Dock, Nespresso machine, fluffy dressing gowns and towels. The bathroom was clean and a standard Novotel "pod" type. The shower was powerful and hot.

The room temperature was fine and with an opening window, so ventilation was fine.

The gym was well appointed for a hotel gym, and the pool pleasant enough. The steam room was a little tired too, but clean and working.

Breakfast was good. Well cooked and hot. Service was welcoming and helpful. At approx £8 (paid in advance) it was very good value with an excellent selection of hot food, cereals fruit etc. The grapefruit was fresh and not tinned! Excellent. Slight disappointment that there wasn't any grapefruit juice, but not a show stopper.

Overall the staff were friendly, welcoming and helpful, apart from the man on the desk first thing when we wanted to get into the gym. He was rather grumpy for some reason.

In summary:

Very good value (£53 for an exec room for 2), good location, and comfortable.
Needs a bit of a freshen up in places, but no more than some 5 star hotels I have stayed in!
Internet is not as fast as it could be, but again, that is usual in hotels I find.

Room Tip: Go for an exec if you get a good price as it includes internet and coffee in your room
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest, Thank you very much for taking the time to post your thoughts on here. I am glad you enjoyed your visit, and I hope we can welcome you back very soon. Happy Chirstmas! Kind regards, Sylvain Lagier, Hotel Manager
Swansea, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 15, 2012

On and off i have spent about 2 years at this hotel with business and in that time I've had a great experience. The reception staff and food and beverage team are always happy to help, the breakfast is one of the best you'll find anywhere, the location is only just out of town so it's nice and quiet for a good rest, parking is free, the rooms are clean although could do with updating

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest, I am very grateful that you could take time to leave us your thoughts and write this great review. I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us, and we hope to see you again in the very near future. Merry Christmas! Kind regards, Sylvain Lagier, Hotel Manager
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 11, 2012

Hotel is modern and clean.
Restaurant was dead fro a Friday night, and the Chef was chatting away with the other staff and another family in the restaurant.

Overall pleasent stay, but nothing outstanding, Executive room nothing special, just Bath robe. slippers and a coffee machine with only 3 coffees.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Slagier11, General Manager at Novotel Milton Keynes, responded to this review, December 12, 2012
Dear Guest, Your comment is very appreciated and may I take this opportunity to thank you very much for choosing the Novotel Milton Keynes. The Executive room package is a good choice you made, as on top of the bathrobe, slippers and coffee machine, you have welcome bottle of mineral water, free Internet access, free late checkout till 4pm, extra bathroom amenities and free local calls. We hope to welcome you back in the near future. Meanwhile, I wish you and all your family happy Christmas time! Kind regards, Sylvain Lagier, Hotel Manager
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 6, 2012

If you are looking for a very good standard hotel in Milton Keynes, avoiding the noise and hit and miss parking of the central hotels, do no further than this Novotel, a stones throw from the centre. Friendly efficient and helpful staff combined with excellent facilities, value and safe free car parking.
I work in Milton Keynes and have tried many of the hotels in and around the area and if I have to use a hotel, this one is my first choice.

Ev Reid

Room Tip: Family friendly with adjoining rooms for your kids
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Slagier11, General Manager at Novotel Milton Keynes, responded to this review, December 9, 2012
Dear Guest, I would like to personally thank you for your excellent review. I am really pleased to read that our hotel is your first choice in Milton Keynes. I really look forward to welcoming you back at the Novotel. Meanwhile, I wish you to spend some quality time during Christmas. Kind regards, Sylvain Lagier, Hotel Manager
Loughton, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 1, 2012

Spent a few days here on business after being underwhelmed by the Hilton Milton Keynes. Don't be fooled by the smart, modern reception area as the corridors and rooms more closely resemble a prison cell!

The room was basic and pretty tired - the textures walls and ceilings give the impression of a cheap and nasty hotel, hardly what you expect for £99 a night.

I was tired on my arrival so thought I would run a bath....except there was no bath tap and the "bath" was clearly only designed as a bowl to hold the shower water. There was also no towel rail in the bathroom.

The beds are so uncomfortable especially the pillows which I had to throw off the bed and use the tiny cushions instead. I can pretty much sleep anywhere but the Novotel beds and pillows are shocking!

The wifi was so slow that I couldn't use skype or you tube.

The breakfast selection was rather limited and again not what I would expect for an expensive rate.

To top it off, when I checked out I had been overcharged by £17 per night. When I showed the staff my booking confirmation with agreed rate on it, they was no apology and their body language indicated they thought I was lying. I don't think I've ever been so glad to leave a hotel.

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Slagier11, General Manager at Novotel Milton Keynes, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Dear Guest, Thank you very much for posting your feedback on that webiste.
I value all customer comments from their experience at the Novotel and you can be assured that I take all criticisms as a great opportunity to review the level of our service.
I agree with you, the lobby area is very welcoming and we recently did few changes giving the guests more space to watch TV in the bar from the lounge.
Regarding the corridors and the rooms, I can guarantee you that the decor was not inspired from a prison.
The bathroom is equipped with a towel rail which is on the side of the bath/shower.
Also the bath tap should have been in the room. I do apologize if this item was missing and I will make sure that our Housekeeping department will review all the rooms to identify it.
About the pillows, Novotel offers 2 different types to adapt to the guest preferences. Should you still need softer pillows, we will be always happy to assist and find alternatives.
With the WIFI, I will check with our support team to understand the internet capacity. Did you try to contact the dedicated support helpline?
With regards to the "limited" breakfast as you described, please see below the items you can enjoy every morning at the Novotel Milton Keynes: Hot drink, 6 cereal selections including porridge, 5 different juices, croissant, danish pastry, white and brown toast, bread baguettes, butter, flora, 5 jam selections, Nutella, Honey, natural and fruit yoghurt, Muller vitality, drinking yoghurt, Fruit salas, prunes, Orange and grapefruit segments, Pineapple slices, watermelon, fresh fruits. English breakfast: Scrambled eggs, Fried eggs, Tomato, potato rosti, bacon, sausage, baked beans, mushrooms.
Please do not hesitate to give me some suggestions for your personal taste. I would be very glad to do my upmost to deliver the product as per your expectation.
I have noted also that you met some incident with the invoicing. I shall investigate this matter with my Front Office Manager. Please accept my apologies on behalf of my team. It is not in our interests to overcharge our guests.
Thank you again for sharing your experience with us, I hope I brought some answers to your comments. Should you require to talk further about this, I will be delighted to discuss this with you personally. With kind regards, Sylvain Lagier, Hotel Manager
Ashford, Kent
Reviewed November 30, 2012

The Novotel in MK is...well, it's pretty much like the Novotel in most other places, I guess. Like many hotel chains, Novovtels have a corporate feel to them. I'm indifferent to such matters but if you like the "Novotel vibe" (whatever that is...) then you will feel at home. The hotel is about 1.5 miles out of the centre of MK but it's not as inconvenient to get to as you might imagine. Although the major roads in MK often don't have pavements, the excellent Redway cycle/walking route can be used to get to the front door from the train station in about 25 minutes. Contrary to what some locals will tell you, the Redways were/are fully lit and are not some pitch black muggers' paradise after dark, and they are well used by dog walkers etc. I feel perfectly safe at all times of the day when using them. There is also lots of parking. The room was fine; clean, tidy, nice modern TV, acceptably comfortable bed, and all the usual facilities. The staff were universally helpful and the buffet breakfast was perfectly adequate, and indeed perhaps a little better than average. To be honest though, all of these things are surely the minimum we should expect for a chain hotel in 2012? Novotel doesn't provide anything special or that lifts it out of the box marked "average" apart from a gym, but I don't have time for such things when travelling and therefore it doesn't figure in my assessment, and this leads me to the "but", and it is a BIG "but". Milton Keynes has plenty of chain hotels; Jurys, Ramada, Hilton, Holiday Inn, Travelodge etc... many of which are more contrally located than the Novotel. If one leaves the Travelodge cheapies to one side, they are all much of a muchness, and the margins between them are small. I have stayed in most of them and, based on price offers and discount, Novotel is typically £40-50% more expensive, the mark-up extending to the restaurant. It's not 40 - 50% better in my view, more like 10%, and therefore represents pretty shoddy VfM. On these grounds, coupled with its location, it's not my first or even second choice when staying in MK.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest, I am very impressed by your detailled review and thank you very much for sharing your comment and analysis. I am just sad to see that we have not managed to show you why people choose the Novotel Milton Keynes when they come to visit the city. We may be few minutes from the town centre but we have free car park, a leisure centre with an indoor pool and you can sleep in a quiet bedroom avoiding the noise of the centre. We strive to provide a friendly service and make a difference in the market place. Please may I invite you to contact me next time and I hope you will give us another opportunity to welcome you back. Thank you again for staying with us. With kind regards, Sylvain Lagier, Hotel Manager