“Novotel Milton Keynes shows others how it's done...”

Novotel Milton Keynes
Ranked #7 of 35 Hotels in Milton Keynes
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed December 3, 2011

I have stayed at Novotel Milton Keynes a number of times now, primarily to spend time with family in the area.

LOCATION: The hotel is very well located in a convenient, quiet, but accessible part of Milton Keynes. Parking is plentiful, free and secure. Through a nearby subway is a beautiful wood containing many walks and unique sculptures (Linford Wood). Less than five minutes will get you to the centre. There is also a 24hr garage opposite for emergency supplies. Due to the hotel's back-set position, no road noise can be heard.

FACILITIES: If I could afford it, I'd probably move in. Very well appointed, spacious, and relaxing environment. Lots of places to sit and lounge. Rooms are finished to an excellent standard and well sound proofed. The room attendants are discrete and have an excellent eye for detail. Every time I've stayed, the room has been made up to my specification - e.g., cots or extra beds made out. You can be assured of a good night sleep. The business center and conferencing facilities look productive although I have not used these (yet!). Leisure club is lovely and you can pretty much go when you like which is a bonus. There is a wonderful children's area in the entrance with bricks and an Xbox playing a racing car game. There are also books to read. On arrival, my children have been welcomed with a wooden dinosaur model to assemble and paint. In an attempt to balance this review out, they don't have a Suitmate in the Leisure Club changing rooms (one of those spinny things that dries your trunks in five seconds). If that worries you, see your GP.

FOOD: Great hotel breakfast - everything there you would expect. They even have glasses for juice which hold more than a mouthful (something that routinely annoys me about hotels). The breads and pastries are lovely. Dinner menu is very family friendly, or equally suitable for couples and groups. The children's menu is a proper three course job if that's what you want, with real food at cheaper-than-pub prices. For me, it's been a terrific opportunity to expose my children to a formal dinner setting with real and well presented food. The layout of the dining area also means that you can sit somewhere without worrying about disturbing any couples. Nice atmosphere with attentive but discreet waiting staff.

STAFF: I run hospitals. Next time, I'm going to smuggle a few of the hotel staff into my car and have them look after my patients - they really are very good, even the ones being trained. I've personally experienced their warmth and welcomes, but I've also seen examples of them looking after each other which makes them pretty special in my book. Thank you to each and every one of them.

Like many other reviewers on this site, I spend at least two days a week in hotels in the UK and Europe. I know what I like and don't like, what hotels and guest houses should and shouldn't do, and how to spot a well run establishment. I don't normally leave reviews unless I am compelled to do so as a result of bad service (common) or exceptional service (rare). I'm pleased to say that I'm writing this for the latter and I hope my feedback gets back to the team running this very tidy ship.

Room Tip: Ask about their deals for families, including super-late checkout at weekends, and half-price adjoin...
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Jonathan P
Slagier11, General Manager at Novotel Milton Keynes, responded to this reviewResponded December 4, 2011

Dear Guest,
What a fantastic review! I would like to thank you so much for writting those very detailled comments about the Novotel Milton Keynes. You can definitely be assured that I will share your very positive comments with all the hotel team. I really look forward to welcoming you back with your family. Meanwhile, have a great end of the year and again thank you for your encouraging words. Best wishes, Sylvain Lagier, Hotel Manager

There are newer reviews for Novotel Milton Keynes

Reviewed December 2, 2011

I travel a fair amount on business and stay in a lot of hotels. I think the food could have been better value for money. Everything else was okay, bedroom large and comfortable but the carpet in the bedroom was dirty.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
Slagier11, General Manager at Novotel Milton Keynes, responded to this reviewResponded December 3, 2011

Dear Guest, Thank you very much for sharing your experience on this website.
Our food quality is usually praised for but I will definitely review your comment with our Head Chef to make sure that we maintain our high level in this area. Also for your information, we plan to change our bedroom carpets to improve our quality. Thank you again for bringing this to our attention. I hope to welcome you back very soon at the Novotel Milton Keynes. With kind regards, Sylvain Lagier, Hotel Manager

Reviewed November 22, 2011

We stayed here for two nights and took the train from Milton into London. Room is small but has everything you need for a family of 4. Love the layout of the hotel which meant that children could play with xbox whilst mum and dad had a quiet drink :-) We also used the leisure facilities which is small but perfect and very relaxed. Very attentive staff and actually one of the friendliest hotels. Breakfast was good and there was plenty. For the price I really can't fault it.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
Slagier11, General Manager at Novotel Milton Keynes, responded to this reviewResponded November 23, 2011

Dear Guest, I am very happy to read your feedback and that you have enjoyed your break with your family at the Novotel Milton Keynes. The X-box is indeed very popular and we know that it can help parents to relax a bit. I will share your comments with our hotel staff, I am sure they will be delighted to read your positive feedback. I hope to welcome you back soon at the Novotel. All the best to you and your family, Sylvain Lagier, Hotel Manager

Reviewed November 19, 2011

We stayed here 2 nights. Friendly staff, clean room. Parking free and with a fence around it. Also indoor swimmingpool and restaurant. Only negative thing; you need to pay for wifi. This should be free on this kind of good hotel.
About 5 minutes from the big shopping center in MK.

• Stayed: November 2011
Slagier11, General Manager at Novotel Milton Keynes, responded to this reviewResponded November 20, 2011

Dear Guest, the team and I really appreciate your comments with your regards to your last stay at the Novotel Milton Keynes. Thank you very much! Your feedback about the WIFI is valuable. We minimize the cost of this service for our guest to fully enjoy the connection. And to help in the connectivity, our I-Mac placed in the lobby area provides internet free of charge for 20 minutes per guest. We look forward to welcoming you back very soon. All the best! Sylvain Lagier, Hotel Manager

Reviewed November 15, 2011

Reasonably priced,good central location. Had I known there was a swimming pool available I would have taken my togs! Unfussy with a helpful staff.Room was very comfortable ,had everything you need including an ironing board....... I was staying for work but would be great for a family adventure weekend.
Cathy (London)

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
Slagier11, General Manager at Novotel Milton Keynes, responded to this reviewResponded November 15, 2011

Dear Cathy, thank you very much for posting your comment on this website. I am so glad to read that you have enjoyed your experience at the Novotel Milton Keynes. Yes please feel free to come back for a week end. Milton Keynes is great for a family adventure! See you soon then. With kind regards, Sylvain Lagier, Hotel Manager

Reviewed November 9, 2011

The hotel is what I expected it to be. It's not brand new, so the odd carpet stain and scuff came as no surprise. We stayed in a family room, which was adequate for our needs. The bathroom was lovely, but the toilet was in a separate, poorly ventilated, room and it reminded me of a caravan.

The hotel lobby and bar area is spacious and has nice little touches like an X-box for kids and an Apple Mac with Internet access for bigger kids/adults.

The pool is on the small side but clean and well maintained.

Breakfast offered a wide range of the usual hotel fodder. We all found something we liked.

I would stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
Slagier11, General Manager at Novotel Milton Keynes, responded to this reviewResponded November 10, 2011

Dear Guest, Many thanks for the review. We always welcome feedback and my team and I are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us at the Novotel Milton Keynes. We plan to replace some odd carpets very soon and I hope you will be able to see it on your next visit. Thank you very much for choosing the Novotel Milton Keynes and see you very soon! Best regards, Sylvain Lagier, Hotel Manager

Reviewed November 9, 2011

My wife and I stayed in this hotel on 5-6th November. Our overall impression of the hotel was good. it was modern and clean and well designed and decorated. The room as a family one which was big and the bed comfy. Staff at check were courteous and helpful but a little wooded as though quoting verbatim information earned by heart. One small niggle in bedroom they did not replace tea bags used the previous day. The pool and leisure facilities were quite good if a little small. Breakfast was good and a good choice of food, although the usual hot buffet tends to be a little cold. My only main gripe was dinner in the restaurant. I had a Caesar salad with chicken which was fine but my wife had a Thai red curry which at £14 for a small bowl of very thin curry sauce and 5 pieces of chicken with boiled rice was extremely poor value. I suspect it was boil in bag. stuff. I then asked about what the chocolate tart came with. The waiter did not seem to understand as he said chocolate and pastry. Obviously I meant cream or ice cream. He had to go and ask someone else and then said it didn't come with anything, which is unusual. I was told that I could have something at extra cost. I then decided instead to have the 'traditional trifle', which when it arrived was a stack with no cream what I was told was custard on the top di not taste like it. After a small taste I mentioned that this was not a traditional trifle as described. The reply; "It is what our suppliers send" (i.e. no chef). I then opted for a cheese cake with sorbet which was quite good. However, by then I had been put off the whole experience. This compared woefully to a stay in another hotel chain in Warrington, which was fantastic food. Needless to say we ate out in central Milton Keynes the second night which was good. So I recommend the hotel to stay in for B&B but go out for dinner.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest, Thank you very much for posting your feedback on this website. It is always great to receive critics to improve ourselves as we strive to provide a superior service for every guest. Be sure that your comment will be analysed with my Head Chef and my F&B Manager. I hope you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back at the Novotel Milton Keynes and fully enjoy your experience with us. With kind regards, Sylvain Lagier, Hotel Manager