“Sadly not as good as the reviews...”
Review of The Cross Keys

The Cross Keys
Ranked #3 of 546 Restaurants in Milton Keynes
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: The Cross Keys is a traditional pub and dining venue located in the heart of Milton Keynes, 3 miles away from the Centre:MK shopping centre. Our passion is catering for people looking for good quality, fresh, homemade food. Our head chef James sources local produce to create classic dishes with a contemporary twist. Here at the Cross Keys our aim is to provide the top quality dining experience with all the character of an attractive country pub. It's the perfect setting to meet with friends, celebrate a special occasion with the family, or just have a chilled drink after work. We cater for all occasions, big and small. We hope to see you soon. Hannah (Manager) & James (Head chef)
Reviewed August 19, 2013

I read the reviews on here and booked this restaurant for 2.30pm on Sunday. The reviews were fantastic and I invited 4 friends to join us. I was really looking forward to visiting...

We arrived at 2.30pm to be told that we hadn't booked it (I had the confirmation email on my phone) and that there would be a wait for food / table, understandable it was Sunday lunch - this was the main reason I made sure I booked!

We ordered food after a few drinks in the nice garden and ordered at 3pm (to be told that there were at least 3 things on the menu that were no longer available (I suppose that's a good sign that it was so popular). Each time we ordered an item the (a very nice and smiley lady called Charmaine) lady taking the order would disappear to the kitchen to make sure they had enough. She also said that she would ask the kitchen exacly how long it would be so we were not disappointed. After ordering she (after we had to ask) told us the food would be 25 mins.
The starters were out quickly (a tasty selection of cold meats and some nice bread) and we had a few more soft drinks.

At 4pm (yes, an hour after ordering) we had to ask if our mains were on the way, they arrived a little later and the burgers we ordered were the size of a McDonalds cheese burger - as she put them down she said that they were smaller than usual as they had been hand made??? An excuse that still doesn't make sense (they did give us £5/per burger back without asking but I would have preferred better food in the first place) the swordfish was Ok, the chips were cold and we had to ask for the Yorkshire puddings that were included with the roasts. They added a few slices of roast beef to my miniscule burger and it was very tasty. I tried a friends roast pork, it had great crackling but I found the meat dry and tough.

We had to ask for a side order of chips as they had been forgotten and the excuse was, "sorry I forgot to press the button". The chips were very tasty but cold.

All in all I regret going there. Its a shame, I bet if you caught them on a good day it would have been great but unfortunately it seems that they were ill prepared and were too busy to be able get the correct food out on time.

There are too many good country pubs out there to give this one a second chance.. I'm sorry Charmaine, you're lovely and the pub is in a nice setting but there were too many mistakes...

2  Thank Alex M
crosskeysMK15, Owner at The Cross Keys, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2013

Hands up! We really do put our hands up and say sorry for your disappointing visit. We're still not sure why your booking got lost but have looked again at our booking procedures as a result. We were very busy that day, with as many walk-ins as bookings, which of course makes it harder to have enough food prepped - we don't use frozen or boil-in-the-bag produce. However, that's not the customers' problem and we should have done better. And we know it. Please give us another try and you'll find out why we've just been given Trip Advisor's Certificate of Excellence.

Reviewed August 19, 2013

We went here for my birthday and had a wonderful meal- I had the Sunday roast and there was so much -it was really well cooked and my husband had the sword fish which he said was really good as well. We both had pudding and these were good as well. the service was really friendly and we were made to feel very welcome. Sign up for their e-mails - as it was my birthday I got an e-mail to have a free bottle of wine-excellent. i would go here again.

1  Thank PaulineMiltonKeynes
Reviewed August 12, 2013

We were looking for a suitable restaurant for a family meal and after looking as several establishments in the Milton Keynes area decided to try the Cross Keys based on the positive reviews. We are very pleased with our choice. The menu was excellent with plenty of choice and an interesting way of presenting the choices. The food was also excellent, all the main dishes arrived pipping hot. Our 6 year old nephew was very well catered for. The staff were very good, friendly and helpful. The toilets were also clean, which is always a good thing in my book! Thank you Cross Keys we had an excellent family evening.

1  Thank VickyPlumGsy
Reviewed August 11, 2013

Enjoyed a Sunday roast here. Food was excellent and good value - a tenner for a decent roast is always highly acceptable. Although I didn't partake, the sweets were also highly rated by those members of the party who did! The only very slight criticism was that the service was a little slow, but certainly not worth complaining about.

This pub has seen a change in fortunes over the last couple of years since it became a gastro pub. Definitely recommended - a very nice setting too. It's also open until 6 p.m. on a Sunday - a definite bonus.

1  Thank Chris W
Reviewed August 9, 2013

My partner and I have lived in Milton Keynes for over 60 years between us and neither of us had been to the Cross Keys before February 2013. We were looking for a restaurant for our anniversary meal and stumbled across this on Trip Advisor. The latest reviews looked good and the menu had a few options for me as I am quite a fussy eater so we decided on the Cross Keys. Woolstone is a lovely village in the middle of modern Milton Keynes. The pub itself is a beautiful old building overlooking a green. It was winter so we couldn't have sat outside but I will make a point of going some time in the summer. The restaurant half had a lovely cosy feel to it and the staff were very polite and attentive. I decided to try scallops for the first time. From what I have heard on cookery programmes, they were probably cooked to perfection but I obviously don't like them. I knew it was a bit risky when I ordered them though. My partner had pate and chutney which I was quite jealous of really :) But that didn't matter when I was presented with one of the best burgers I have ever eaten. mmmmmm. My fiancé had the fish and chips which he enjoyed. Our servers were not only good hosts but they were also quite entertaining (without being annoying).
So its not Michelin star good but it has a good atmosphere, nice well cooked food and friendly staff. A shining gem in a concrete jungle in my opinion.

1  Thank Laura D