“Excellent Sunday lunch and surprisingly good value”
Review of The Cross Keys

The Cross Keys
Ranked #2 of 540 Restaurants in Milton Keynes
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub, Gastropub
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Bar scene, Special occasions, Kids, Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Drinks, Brunch, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: The Cross Keys is a traditional pub and dining venue located in the heart of Milton Keynes, 3 miles away from the Centre:MK shopping centre. Our passion is catering for people looking for good quality, fresh, homemade food. Our head chef James sources local produce to create classic dishes with a contemporary twist. Here at the Cross Keys our aim is to provide the top quality dining experience with all the character of an attractive country pub. It's the perfect setting to meet with friends, celebrate a special occasion with the family, or just have a chilled drink after work. We cater for all occasions, big and small. We hope to see you soon. Hannah (Manager) & James (Head chef)
Cranfield, England, United Kingdom
“Excellent Sunday lunch and surprisingly good value”
Reviewed August 11, 2013

Enjoyed a Sunday roast here. Food was excellent and good value - a tenner for a decent roast is always highly acceptable. Although I didn't partake, the sweets were also highly rated by those members of the party who did! The only very slight criticism was that the service was a little slow, but certainly not worth complaining about.

This pub has seen a change in fortunes over the last couple of years since it became a gastro pub. Definitely recommended - a very nice setting too. It's also open until 6 p.m. on a Sunday - a definite bonus.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank Chris W

Milton Keynes, England, United Kingdom
“Lovely old pub hidden in a modern town”
Reviewed August 9, 2013

My partner and I have lived in Milton Keynes for over 60 years between us and neither of us had been to the Cross Keys before February 2013. We were looking for a restaurant for our anniversary meal and stumbled across this on Trip Advisor. The latest reviews looked good and the menu had a few options for me as I am quite a fussy eater so we decided on the Cross Keys. Woolstone is a lovely village in the middle of modern Milton Keynes. The pub itself is a beautiful old building overlooking a green. It was winter so we couldn't have sat outside but I will make a point of going some time in the summer. The restaurant half had a lovely cosy feel to it and the staff were very polite and attentive. I decided to try scallops for the first time. From what I have heard on cookery programmes, they were probably cooked to perfection but I obviously don't like them. I knew it was a bit risky when I ordered them though. My partner had pate and chutney which I was quite jealous of really :) But that didn't matter when I was presented with one of the best burgers I have ever eaten. mmmmmm. My fiancé had the fish and chips which he enjoyed. Our servers were not only good hosts but they were also quite entertaining (without being annoying).
So its not Michelin star good but it has a good atmosphere, nice well cooked food and friendly staff. A shining gem in a concrete jungle in my opinion.

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank Laura D
Peel, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Wonderful food, wonderful service!”
Reviewed August 5, 2013

We chose this pub for a family evening meal based on the positive reviews on Tripadvisor and we were certainly not disappointed. It was one of those meals where the slightly longer than normal wait for food in a pub was reassuring as it was obvious that the food was freshly cooked and NOT reheated. The service was prompt and extremely couteous. The food was beautifully presented and was both piping hot and delicious. I would highly recommend this restaurant to anyone. Thank you very much The Cross Keys!

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank Ben S
Edinburgh
“Beautiful pub with stunning food”
Reviewed July 25, 2013

On a recent trip to visit relatives, we decided to try this place out after the very positive reviews on Tripadvisor - and we're very glad we did. We arrived early on Friday lunchtime (19th July) and it was quiet to begin with but soon was packed out with punters enjoying the outdoor seating area.

The waitress that served us was excellent, going above and beyond to ensure we enjoyed our lunch. Our party thoroughly enjoyed the summer vegetable risotto, homemade burger (complete with a little jar of bbq sauce, homemade (?) pickled onions, gherkins, and the most amazing (twice-fried?) chips - crispy on the outside and soft and fluffy inside. Yum. All very delectable.

I hear they have refurbished the pub and as I haven't been before I can't comment on how it used to look, but suffice to say the decor is fab, a mix of modern and traditional, very classy.

Well done.

Visited July 2013
1 Thank BeanNDrew
Milton Keynes
“Summer BBQ”
Reviewed July 23, 2013

A friend had told us about its recent refurbishment and so we went to have a light lunch! On our arrival we went straight into the beautiful beer garden, where they'd got a BBQ and bouncing castle for the kids along with a live singer. It's was just perfect, the singer was just out of sight and wasn't to loud. The food was beautiful and the service great. The menu is a little expensive but then the quality of the food does outweigh that. Perfect place to have a lunch with friend and family!!

• Visited July 2013