Woughton House - MGallery by Sofitel (was Mercure Parkside House)
Ranked #2 of 34 Hotels in Milton Keynes
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Not bad. Not good either”
Reviewed July 23, 2010

The hotel - and especially the rooms - could be described as 'charmingly English', or as 'somewhat outdated, needing a lick of paint' - depending on your preferences.
Staff was very friendly and helpful, but they could do with more staff at breakfast: the breakfast staff was working their a** off, but still I had to wait for over half an hour for my (good) breakfast.
The rooms could do with an upgrade. Especially with respect to isolation. I woke up each day when the person in the room opposite mine left his room at 6.30 (he was trying to be quiet), and I could follow the night time activities of the couple in the room next to mine in more detail than I wanted.
Since the rooms are beyond walking distance from the city centre - and public transport in MK is appalling - I was hoping for more 'entertainment' in the rooms. The telly only had 4 channels (even Five wasn't on it), and the wifi (expensive!) had too weak a signal in my room.
To finish off, some plusses: bed was comfy, room and bathroom were clean, staff friendly, breakfast of good quality, and the surrounding Ouzel valley park is stunning. Prices are acceptable.
Great hotel for a quiet, romantic weekend. Less suitable for business trips - although being at walking distance from the Open University is a major plus, if that's where you need to be.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
Woughton, General Manager at Woughton House - MGallery by Sofitel (was Mercure Parkside House), responded to this review, August 22, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent visit to Mercure Parkside in Milton Keynes. I’m delighted that you enjoyed your stay and we have noted your comments about breakfast, are addressing. We have now address technical issues with our TVs however plan a full roll out of new 32 inch plasma TVS and updated listing in September

Barry Winter

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
Thiviers
Reviewed July 21, 2010

I regularly stay at a number of hotels and B&Bs in Milton Keynes when on business trips relating to the Open University Students Association. When I had to plan my most recent trip I had a problem which Parkside was able to solve. My husband was unable to be left on his own at home as he was recovering from surgery and we have three cats and a dog, I asked if this so-called animal friendly hotel would be able to accommodate us. The response I got was so positive and since I knew the hotel from previous visits I had no hesitation in booking my stay. I did wonder how welcome we really would be when we turned up but I needn't have been concerned as the staff were all welcoming and helpful and we were able to have a quiet room, which was better for us all as we certainly didn't want to disturb our fellow guests with barking from our still young dog. The staff regularly asked if everything was OK and yet were not intrusive. And yes every effort was made to help my husband too!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
Thanks for your review. I’m glad you had a good stay with us at Mercure Parkside in Milton Keynes and I hope to see you on your next trip.

Reviewed July 19, 2010

Well, what can I say? 1st May 2010, after 18 months of great help and assistance from Barry Winter (manager) and his team, our wedding had been planned down to the last detail. We were welcomed into the hotel, by first name, each time we visited. Enjoyed complimentary drinks the day before, while delivering our wedding cake etc. Our day ran like clockwork, and Barry was with us every step of the way, not a single hiccup, everything was perfect. Barry was on hand all day. His team were very smartly dressed, the bar service was very efficient. Our meals we all served at once, and they were ALL hot!!! The food was to a high standard and to exact requirements. The room was swiftly converted from service, to breakfast, to reception. I cannot fault this hotel, or barry. Whatever we asked, him and his team delivered. Most of all, our wedding suite, simply beautiful, our wedding music playing as we entered, flapjacks, chocolates and champagne for our enjoyment, and a wedding card from all the hotel staff. A VERY generous sized room, simply perfect. Breakfast the follwing morning was full english and continental buffet style to which myself and my new husband both enjoyed, along with our guests who stayed over, we had most of the breakfast room allocated to ourselves. And finally, Barry was the last person we saw on our Wedding night, and he was the first person we saw on the morning after. I cannot rate the hotel and staff highly enough! I've been tpo alot of hotels around the world and this is definately one of the best. We'll be back for drinks and meals there from now on!!!
PS. plenty of guest parking, rooms, and very easy to find and well located in milton keynes. Stay here, get this hotel to MK's number 1!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
MariusParkside, Guest Relations Manager at Woughton House - MGallery by Sofitel (was Mercure Parkside House), responded to this review, September 18, 2015
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments posted previously. I am very sorry that no one has responded to you and thought that I would take the opportunity to say thank you for taking the time to post a review and that your comments are very valuable to us.

Since you previous stay the hotel has changed ownership and has undergone a complete refurbishment and now stands as one of the top 4 star properties in Milton Keynes. We do hope that you will visit us again on your next visit to Milton Keynes to experience the refurbished property,

Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 16, 2010

situated in a nice quiet area- not too far from the city center for any nights out or shopping. On arrival was met at reception by a cheery recptionist who was willing to help, bar had an array of drinks and the rooms themselves were fairly big with a comfy double bed- so no problem getting to sleep. would deffinately recommend a stay at this hotel.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank thereforanightout

Kent, England
Reviewed June 20, 2010

this hotel is lovely, if a little old in decor, and the bed is super comfy. The staff are friendly and helpful, and it was a nice stay. The TV in the room was a little old, and there isn't much to see here if you don't have a car, but nonetheless it was fine.

The only difficulty I had was that Caesar Salad was listed (V) but when it came it had anchovies, which it did actually list on the menu. Anchovies are not vegetarian. This put me off a little.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank Chrissy C

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed April 28, 2010

This is probably not such a bad hotel if one if looking for a weekend away. However, if travelling on business I woudl recommend finding something else closer to town. The location is quiet and was difficult to find, even with a SatNav. The internet connection was not wokring properly which caused me problems as I had specifically checked that a high-speed internet service was offered prior to booking the hotel. The staff was hit and miss, with a couple being helpful, but most disinterested or absolutely clueless. The reception area was often left unattended as staff chatted elsewhere down the hall. There are no lifts, so be prepared to carry your luggage up the stairs if on the upper level. I would not stay here again if travelling on business.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
Woughton, Manager at Woughton House - MGallery by Sofitel (was Mercure Parkside House), responded to this review, May 10, 2010
I am sorry on this occasion that you were disappointed with your stay. I treat all feedback
with the utmost seriousness and am currently investigating the matter.

All guests are offered assistance with luggage on arrival, accept my apologies if this was not the case on this occassion. We have recently had a new wireless system offering high speed access to all areas of the hotel again accept my apologies if technical assistance was not forthcoming during your stay with us as should have been the case.

Please feel free to contact me personally on 01908 661919 to discuss this further if you require.

Shropshire, UK
Reviewed April 25, 2010

We chose Mercure parkside for my mother's 90th birthday lunch and were delighted with everything.

When the original date had to be postponed at short notice, there we no problems and we were given every assistance in re-booking.

When we finally made it, we were very pleased with the quiet location, despite being so convenient for Milton Keynes. All our requests for organisation were met efficiently and the afternoon passed without a hitch.

The food was good value, very well prepared and presented and delicious. The service was friendly and efficient.

I could comment that the decor was a little tired and could do with a makeover, but everything was spotlessly clean.

We didn't use the rooms, but for a function, I would thoroughly recommend.

• Stayed April 2010
Thank you for your very kind words. Very much appreciated and my team will be delighted
to hear that you enjoyed yourselves. Look forward to welcoming you back.