“Why so expensive?” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #10 of 34 Hotels in Milton Keynes
Shropshire
“Why so expensive?”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2013

I was here on business for a few days. It was £150+ a night which included no breakfast, no internet access and no parking. All of which I had to pay extra for. Now I wasn't paying for the room myself but even so this seems excessive. Plus of course you have to spend the time in Milton Keynes which is surely punishment enough?

I was also given a disabled room. No problem with having disabled rooms in hotels but I am not disabled. This means that the sink at knee level and the shower that only extended to my chest were not the most useful to me.

I stayed at the holiday inn express 5 mins away the other week, paid half the price and got free internet, breakfast and parking - wonder where I will go next time?

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank jaseandlou
WayneBowring, General Manager at Holiday Inn Milton Keynes Central, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Dear jaseandlou,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Trip advisor, I was disappointed to read that some aspects of your stay did not meet your requirements.

With regards to the rate you paid for your stay with us to one of our other brands, this reflects the market we trade in and we a 4 star full service hotel where as the other brand offers different service levels

Thank you once again and we hope to be able to welcome you back to the hotel in the future,

Wayne Bowring

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (175)
Uk
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2013

Generally quite a poor quality hotel, hot noisy rooms, poor hygiene in restaurant. Food was ok, but wipe the cups and cutlery before you use them.
We had to fight to get the room we booked, and got a load of attitude from the young lady behind the counter, but didn't really expect that much anyway.

1 Thank MkMark
WayneBowring, General Manager at Holiday Inn Milton Keynes Central, responded to this review, July 14, 2013
Dear MkMark

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on TripAdvisor.

Please accept my apologies for the elements of your stay that were not to your satisfaction. It is certainly disappointing to read that we did not deliver on a truly great guest experience. I along with the hotel management team review all guest comments to ensure we can rectify any shortcoming that are experienced so please be assured we will increase our efforts to deliver our goal in our goal in providing great guest experiences and satisfaction.
I will be passing your comments on to the relevant Manager to carry out some corrective training to ensure this matter does not happen in the future.

Once again please accept my apologies and if I can be of any further assistance please let me know

General Manger
wellingborough
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2013

Stayed here last Saturday night with my sister and daughter for a girls weekend. Location is ideal, literally opposite Debenhams and the Midsummer Place shopping area.Check in was swift and breakfast times explained. We stayed in an executive family room with a king bed and double sofabed.It was spacious,clean and quiet. My daughter liked the fact they left bottled water and Mars bars free of charge for us! Parking is usually £6 for the overnight, we arrived around 6pm in the evening and there were still plenty of spaces available. We didn't end up paying for parking as for some reason the barrier was up all the time we were there-bonus!
We didn't use the bar/restaurant/leisure facilities so can't comment on those. There is a Premier Inn hotel just a few minutes walk away with an attached Beefeater and we had a nice meal there on the Sat evening.
Have stayed here a few times and would stay again. 1 tip is ask to be moved if they try to give you an internal room overlooking the central atrium/bar area as it can be noisy on a weekend evening as they hold functions there.

Room Tip: Not an internal one!
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
WayneBowring, General Manager at Holiday Inn Milton Keynes Central, responded to this review, July 4, 2013
Dear broadwaybelle,

I was please to read you had a enjoyable stay with us on your shopping trip, and I will pass these comments onto my hotel team at our daily meeting or will also be please to hear you have a good stay with us.

Once again thank you for your comments and we hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future

Lincolnshire, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

We were going to a wedding in Leighton Buzzard and could have stayed at the hotel in Dunstable where the reception was held but we used to live in Buckinghamshire - now in Lincolnshire- and knew all about the wonders of the MK shopping centre, and The Holiday Inn is a two minute walk away. The hotel was clean and comfortable and the breakfasts were adequate. However, it would benefit from more parking spaces. I did use the swimming pool on one occasion but it was, disappointingly, not very clean and the showers, although hot, had someone's hair clogging up the drain - so glad I remembered my flip flops - so not up the standard of the hotel. The shopping experience was great and I realised how much I had missed the MK Centre.

Room Tip: We booked quite close to the date of travel and had a really good deal. The rooms, although facing...
Dear Northamptonshire,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on Trip Advisor, I am pleased you enjoyed your stay with us, regarding your comments on our Health Club I have passed them onto the appropriate Manager who will ensure that the points you raised with be actioned.

Thank you once again and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Workington, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2013

Excellent hotel, very comfortable, large room, clean bathroom, could have done with better ventilation. Gym was very well equipped and the pool was also clean and nice to swim in. The bar was extremely expensive for example £6.50 for a glass of wine...breakfast was good and the restaurant area clean and well stocked! Directly opposite Mid Summer Place shopping centre...making it an ideal hotel for shopaholics.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear HeatherA

Thank you for posting your comments on Trip Advisor, I was pleased to read you had a enjoyable stay with us I will pass you comments onto the hotel team at our daily meeting.

wordsley,stourbridge.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2013

We have for many years thought about going to Bletchley Park ( world war two code breaker centre) and so we booked the Holiday Inn. Beautifull rooms, free swimming pool and fitness centre and good parking. We fully recommend this Hotel as it just over the road from the main shopping centre.

Also we would recommend a visit to Bletchley Park its only a couple of miles away and is a fantastic place and you need to spend a whole day there to fully appreciate the surroundings.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank adav43
WayneBowring, General Manager at Holiday Inn Milton Keynes Central, responded to this review, June 16, 2013
Dear Adav43,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review

I am pleased that you had an enjoyable stay at the hotel and a trip to the excellent Bletchley Park it is one of those fascinating places which is well worth a visit if in the area.

Your comments will be shared with the whole hotel team you will also be pleased you had a great stay.

Once again thank you and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel and Milton Keynes in the near future.

Best Wishes and Regards

Wayne Bowring - General Manager
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2013

Stayed for one night. The hotel is located nicely 5 minutes walk from Milton keynes central. it wasy to find. Checkin was a little trouble some. You enter the large reception area, which is clean and tidy, free newspaper if wanted, but the checked me in to an "easy accessible" room so everything was at waist height. I never understand this, I dont need a room like this, i would much prefer a regular room and why would you give away this type of room when someone may need this, back to reception to easily be changed! So they had the rooms available. The room is typical, spacious, clean and tidy but very boring. TV, Tea and Coffee, no stocked mini bar, bland bathroom with bath and shower curtain, air con which really didnt work well so had teh window open, no great view but no noise from traffic, all for £144 night but yet normal room rate over £200 which really is not good value for money. The hotel bar was behind reception, lifeless and I didnt use the restuarant or facilities so cant comment. No free wifi, a car park that had a barrier so not sure if you need to pay. I left a breakfast card on the door at 11.45pm as I need to rush in the money so ordered for 7.45am, no breakfast by 8.05am so decided to leave to find the card stil on the door even though you can leave this out anytime before 1am! So on check out instead I was given a takeaway breakfast free of charge, lady was very apologetic, but it was a lame takeway. (When i checked in the guy tries to sell you a discounted breakfast voucher non-refundable...) thats the first I have heard of that. Just poorly managed hotel, average state and over priced.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Dear dragek

Tank you for your review.

I have read your comments with interest and of course would alway look at areas where we can improve our guest satisfaction. I hope you can see from the majority of reviews by fellow members of the TripAdvisor community on the whole we receive very positive feedback and I am disappointed that you did not feel that this was the case on your visit to the hotel.

It is my goal to consistently provide superior service and accommodations and your comments are very important to me. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables me to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. I appreciate the candid feedback I receive and welcome any opportunity to improve.

Once again, I appreciate you taking the time to share your comments with me and if I can be of any assistance in the future please do not hesitate to contact me. I know you have many choices when it comes to lodging and we hope you will continue to choose Holiday Inn Milton Keynes for your future travel needs.

Best Wishes