“Great stay.”

Ranked #10 of 34 Hotels in Milton Keynes
Stratford-upon-Avon, United Kingdom
“Great stay.”
Reviewed September 30, 2012

The hotel is perfectly located for activities at xscape, great shopping & for enjoying the bars, restaurants and clubs. The staff were all friendly and helpful, breakfast was fabulous and everywhere was really clean. Well done Holday Inn Saxon Gate and all the staff

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (176)
bedfordshire
Reviewed September 29, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here for one night for a friends bday party (being held off site), had a standard double room which was spacious, bright and airy. Fridge in room was dirty, but when reported this was cleaned and they offered us a drink which was nice, made us want to stay in the bar for more drinks!

Special thanks to Lauren and the lady chef at breakfast as although it wasn't on the menu they made us some fried bread, eggs the way we want them and best of all pancakes!! I work in a hotel and I have to say, I don't think any of my team would do that so I was very impressed - well done and thank you!

This is my second time here and it won't be the last!

• Stayed September 2012
WayneBowring, General Manager at Holiday Inn Milton Keynes Central, responded to this review, October 16, 2012
Dear Buffybabe,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I have shared your comments with the entire hotel team who were thrilled that you enjoyed your visit, especially Lauren and Nula our breakfast chef were who were acknowledged by our internal recognition scheme.

Once again thank you and we hope to welcome you back again soon

Best wishes

Lancashire
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Visited this hotel a number of times in the past but this last stay was excellent. Room was very clean and well presented. The breakfast was one of the better buffet styles that I have experienced, had a fresh made omelete by the chef at the buffet counter and they are now showcasing a local jam producer (Strawberry and vanila was really good).
Staff were efficient and friendly couldn't really ask for much more.
If you find yourselves in Milton Keynes give it a go.

Lindon, Utah
Reviewed September 19, 2012

The Holiday Inn in MK is great. There are three HI properties in the area - this is the best one. It is located near the center of town and several very good restaurants. It is across the street from a large shopping mall and close to other shopping options too. The MK Dons soccer stadium is close by as well. I arrived after an all night flight from the US and they were able to have a room ready for me to checkin early quickly. While I waited they provided me a complimentary breakfast buffet.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Dear Mike T,

Than you very much for taking the time to post your review. I and my team and delighted that you had such a positive experience and look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again in the near future.

Andover, Hampshire
Reviewed September 17, 2012

my wife and I took the opportunity to visit friends in Milton Keynes . i booked into the Saxon gate west Holiday Inn for 2 nights. i only wished we could have stayed longer. Outstanding staff , outstandingly CLEAN Room. The food ? Exceptional Standard and Quality. We certainly WILL use Holiday inns again. The perfect weekend.

Room Tip: holiday Inns often offer "Special " rates. Well worth taking advantage of.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
WayneBowring, General Manager at Holiday Inn Milton Keynes Central, responded to this review, September 21, 2012
Dear Tony1104

Thanks you for your review and it is great when we have such positive feedback. I will share this with the rest of the hotel and I know the entire team will be thrilled that you had such a great experience

We look forward to welcoming you back tot he hotel again soon

Regards

Reviewed September 10, 2012

This hotel was very easy to access, having caught the train it was just a short walk from the station. Very easy to find too, and in a great area with plenty of shops, bars and restaurants within walking distance.
We arrive 2 hours before we were due to check in, the staff were extremely helpful having our room ready for us early. The room was a nice size and felt very cosy. It did smell of cigarettes and there was ash on the window ledge, someone had been smoking out of the window not long before we arrived. As we were getting ready for a wedding and were pushed for time I didn't go down and say anything to the reception- however I am positive that if I had the staff would have dealt with it immediately.
Apart from what was mentioned previously the room was spotless. I particularly liked the option of the soft or firm pillows! A nice touch!
We came back to the hotel with the wedding party, who were also staying in the hotel. The bar continued serving for several hours. The night manager was rather unfriendly and a little rude when I spoke to reception about a misplaced room card. However it was late and he was concerned about the noise was affecting the other guests. I'm surprised that they keep the bar open if the noise is going to be an issue.
The breakfast was excellent, a great selection of full English items, including black pudding! Also lots of fresh fruit, cereal, yoghurts and pastries. Very impressive selection of good quality ingredients.
All in all I thought this was a great place to stay, really good value. I have stayed in budget hotels which have cost more than this and found this a much nicer place. Only regret is I didn't time to check out the pool!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
WayneBowring, General Manager at Holiday Inn Milton Keynes Central, responded to this review, September 14, 2012
Dear AmyWinter1

Thank you for taking the time to post a review and I am delighted that you had a great and I have let the team know this at our meeting this morning.

In relation to the interaction with our night team this will also be shared so they can be aware of the impact they can have on our guests experience and can keep this in mind on future occasions.

Once again thank you and we hope you return to the hotel again soon

York, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 27, 2012

Stayed here several times,although not recently.The passage of time does not make this venue or any other in this droll town any easier to find and upon arrival noticed that this hotel and apparently ever other car park charges to visit.Guess this is stimulated by the city fathers or by others unknown and my question to them is, if not in a car how on earth to you visit this gridded array of concrete boxes?One expects to pay for parking in London and proper sized cities,but Milton Keynes is not one of these so I cannot see past a money motivated urge to be unpopular as to the real reason.
The hotel has been up and running for ages now - originally a Crest and very good it was too until those chancers Granada got their hands on it.Now it appeals to a more median market and does it rather well.Spotless and clean in public areas as well as accommodation and gives one the feeling someone cares, usually I find this starts with the manager,so well done.All staff encountered were keen,knew their job and there was strong evidence of training if not great levels of empowerment.No matter a sincere smile goes a long way especially after a long M1 drive.
At last a room with A.C. that really works, good space and a bit more effort with the tea tray would have made it outstanding - but at the price only an old skinflint like me could carp.Dinner was what one would expect in such an establishment and while food of this style is geared to compete with all those other "High St" brands made so popular by cost accountants it only appeals to me as a function rather than a pleasure, admittedly make acceptable by the charming and hardworking staff on duty on our chosen Saturday.
Off before breakfast and the on set of even steeper parking fees and would have vacated the town sooner had the exits all been closed by the folk organising a "bike event' - perhaps the first rumblings of a Milton Keynes Spring and the overthrow of all parking charges!

Room Tip: Smile at the receptionist
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
WayneBowring, General Manager at Holiday Inn Milton Keynes Central, responded to this review, September 5, 2012
Dear Yorkshireluddite,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay at the hotel.

Overall I am pleased that your impression of the hotel was positive and thank you for the comments regarding the team which I have shared at my morning meeting.

Regarding the car parking charges this is something that I review regularly. Given our location and the local authority policy on commuting into Central Milton Keynes we do have to levy charges to ensure the facility is maintained and we are able to offer spaces, if limited, to hotel guests.

Thank you once again and I do hope we are able to welcome you back to the Hotel and Milton Keynes as the city does have a vibrant night life and social activities which my reception team would be more than happy to help you with information on on your next visit.