“Lovely little place - very convenient to Silverstone”

The Shoulder of Mutton
Ranked #8 of 34 Milton Keynes B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 8, 2013

Beautifully situated little pub. Warm welcome from the proprietor. Nice little room. Not massively spacious if there had been three of us in there, but was absolutely fine for an overnight stay. Only thing I would change would be to update the shower - other than that, lovely. We were lucky with the weather and sitting outside in the beer garden was very pleasant. Lovely views of the nearby countryside.

Partner was very happy with the Doombar beer. I was happy with my drinks. Didn't try the food as we had already booked into a restaurant in Stony Stratford. About 15 mins walk from amenties of Stony Stratford. About 20/25 mins from Silverstone and Bletchley park.

Would go there again.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank porterlizz

Reviewed September 26, 2013

To be blunt, this beautifully situated pub would benefit from a change of management. Everything is just a little bit too tired: the staff, the decor, the crockery and cutlery. The food is tired and uninteresting; the beer just not quite as fresh as it should be.
I stopped off for lunch and was one of seven diners at 1:30 on a sunny weekday.The place should - and could - be full. The landlord or manager seemed to be happy drinking the beer, at least.
It's unlikely that I shall trouble them again.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed September 26, 2013

I booked this last minute, as my husband and I needed to stay near Stony Stratford, and this was the only room I could find. We had a room in an outbuilding, near the main pub, and all I can really say is that everything was small! The room had a very small double, and another single bed, the wall mounted TV was very small, and only really visible from one spot on the bed! The shower too was small with a curtain around, and it was impossible not to soak the floor. The kettle provided was not big enough to fill the 2 mugs left with it. However the price wasn't small! I felt £80 a night B and B was more like a hotel price. The breakfast however was very good, and lady serving, the owner maybe, was very attentive.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 11, 2013

I was surprised to see some of the negative reviews that the SoM has garnered.
I have been going to the Shoulder, along with my "gang" of old chaps for a year or two now.

We are always made to feel welcome, and drinks served as soon as we arrive.

The food service is great. The menu is limited, but that suits our group. I cannot say that there has been any meal that has disappointed.

So, in summary, a good place for a quiet pint and a bite to eat.

I am disappointed to report that the current owners are selling up. Let's hope that the next owners keep up the high current standard.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 17, 2013

M y sister got married and we all came back to the shoulder of mutton for a few drinks and possible snacks. Myself, wife, mother and my son booked rooms here and paid in full via card. During the evening which was about 20 minutes in through our evening we discovered that the landlord was drunk, insulted the bridesmaid by pushing her about and abusing her. He was clearly aggressive which on this occasion we did not want any trouble being a special day. The service was totally shocking and when I asked for a refund on the 2 rooms which we had paid over £170 for he said too late you have now paid and you are not getting it back. We did not stay there for the obvious reasons!!!!There is in my opinion a clear risk of aggressive behaviour from the landlord towards visitors as this is one of numerous reported incidents at this location caused by the landlords unruly behaviour ..I can't see it being long before his attitude causes a serious problem potentially involving police intervention .. I am still trying to retrieve my money as I could not stay as me and my family felt unsafe. Beware you have been warned .

Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
8  Thank Day B
Reviewed August 6, 2013

Not long since moved to the area, we went for a birthday sunday lunch with friends who had actually advised against it. They were not wrong. The food was ok, but nothing special compared to other pubs in the area that we have tried. But the service was a shocker. Slow and disinterested, the waitress made a very obvious point of avoiding eye contact or even looking in our direction in case we interrupted her by needing anything. Plates were scooped up the minute the food had been consumed, and there was no offer of coffee of dessert. We waited, and waited, and tried to catch her attention - but to no avail. We mentioned our disappointment with the bar manager (landlord?) on our way out, but he wasn't interested either. He was more concerned with laughing and joking with his pals as he sat on the public side of the bar. It was all such a disappointment. It's a nice looking place in a nice location. But it could be so much better. We'll not be back, and judging by how empty the dining area was, others have reached the same conclusion.

Room Tip: No idea what the rooms are like, but eat elsewhere.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank JCDIP
Reviewed June 27, 2013

Lovely rural independently owned village pub. Nice decor inside, plenty of outdoor seating, peaceful and great views. Friendly service, whether you are just popping in for an excellent cup of coffee or a swift half. Today we enjoyed a very pleasant lunch indeed and very reasonably priced.The dishes ( a vegetable lasagne and a traditional ploughmans) were everything you would expect, and very generous portions too. The vegetable lasagne was one of the best I've had with lots of yummy melting cheese. Delicious.Thoroughly recommended, and so great to be able to support a pub that isn't owned by a big chain and that has a bit of character. The Shoulder of Mutton also does Bed and Breakfast.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends