“Yet another enjoyable stay”

Hilton Milton Keynes
Ranked #16 of 35 Hotels in Milton Keynes
Reviewed September 17, 2007

First visited this Hilton about 12 months ago and it was, and still is, excellent. The check-in was efficient and welcoming, the refurbished room was very comfortable (despite no aircon or trouser press), and the bathroom was extremely clean & well-equipped. My only minor criticism of the latest visit was rather slow bar service and restaurant service. It appeared that the restaurant was short-staffed - tables were left uncleared for long periods, and certainly one of the young waitresses at dinner gave the feeling that she just didn't want to be there ! Unlike my previous visit, there was no buffet in the restaurant in the evening - the food was selected from the fairly restricted menu, but the quality was OK. As always, the wines are over-priced, but one does get used to that at most hotels nowadays. I do have to compliment the majority of the staff at the hotel for their friendly and welcoming attitude. Despite the few slightly negative remarks, it will not deter me from visiting this hotel in the future.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
Write a ReviewReviews (1,587)

Reviewed August 24, 2007

This was our third visit to this hotel.

I have just looked at some of the Reviews for this hotel. some I agree with , some I don't. I think it is what you get on the day.

On arrival, we went to the Hilton Honours check in desk, and had to move over to the regular desk. Not a problem, but why bother having a separate check in section?? The formalities were quickly dealt with. I suppose I could whinge about not being asked if we could manage our own bags to the room, but being able bodied, this wasn't a problem

The room was a decent size, clean and tidy. The usualHilton type of room, and we had no complaints about it.

Off to the pool. Very small, and I would'nt like to see more than 10 people in it! Spa bath very refreshing. Changing rooms a bit smelly, but everything worked.

Sat outside with a coffee and coke. Very helpful waitress who brought our drinks. Bit expensive, but value for money.

The meal in the evening was excellent. Pity that the service was less so. Started the meal at about 8pm. Finished out three courses at about 10.15. Very slow, but the food was hot, well cooked and presented.

Breakfast was the usual Hilton. Chef very pleaesant, and cooked my egg how I wanted it. However, breakfast the next day was chaos. The Hotel was full. We arrived for breakfast at 9.45am. Plenty of tables free, but no one around to set them! The person I assume to be the Manager was clearing tables, and leaving a young girl to take the flack from the customers who were waiting up to 15 minuites to be seated. Maybe Hilton Management, who must have known the hotel was full, should have whistled a few more staff up to sort the problem out.

All in all , a very pleasant week end, in a reasonable hotel, where the staff did their best to make you comfortable.

We would go back without hesitation, as any niggles that we had were minimal, and people can always find something that they don't like.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mrhilton
Reviewed August 4, 2007

Having booked a night on the hilton website (£105 for a deluxe room including breakfast & dinner) we were pleased to be advised by the friendly receptionist that we were in one of the refurbished rooms.

The room itself wasn't the biggest we've ever been in but was well decorated and comfortable. Unfortunately there was no bedding for my daughter's sofa bed but a call to reception resulted in this being dealt with by a very friendly housekeeper within just a few minutes. The one issue with the room was the lack of air conditioning, which is surprising for a Hilton but we were offered the use of the fan which was gladly accepted. Two annoyances were the bathroom door which kept 'sticking' and the room door which kept slamming (the stopper seemed to be broken or ineffective). On the plus side, we visited at the same time that a wedding was taking place however barely heard any of the celebrations.

The pool is small but functional although the paint on the walls around it is peeling and it obviously gets busy at times. The obligatory sauna, steam room & jacuzzi are also present.

The food was excellent and the service friendly and efficient. Breakfast is the usual Hilton offering (which we personally love) while dinner is served in the 'Britisserie' and boasts a varied and tasty menu.

All in all, probably not the best Hilton we've visited (that isn't a criticism) but well worth a visit. The service in particular deserves a special mention as all of the staff we encountered were a credit to the hotel.

If only air conditioning was fitted, minor niggles with the room were sorted, the price of wireless acces was more reasonable and the pool was refurbished, this could be an excellent hotel.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank fadeaway53
Reviewed March 13, 2007

After a days skiing at Xscape at Milton Keynes all we wanted was a not bath , hearty food , some cold beers and a comfy bed. The Hilton provide all of these well done.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank David131
Reviewed February 3, 2007

I should have read previous reviews before booking. My asking for a smoking room and early check in were not passed to the hotel and although the staff seemed friendly enough didnt seem to want to go out of their way to help. My room was in need of re decoration very urgently including new carpets as these had stains on them. And whover stayed in my room of May 2006 and wrote on the wall that DP loved AN, its still there to this day, shows how well the rooms are cleaned. We ate in the restaurant in the evening and the food was very poor, this hotel is certainly hot up to normal Hilton standard, unless their standards have been lowered considerably and certainly not worthy of 4 stars.

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed October 1, 2006

I booked this hotel as a treat as my friend and I were going to the Robbie Williams concert.

The desk staff were very friendly and helpful but I was dismayed to discover that you have to have a pre-authorisation on your credit card on check-in for extras. This is the first time I have encountered this.

The bar area was very disappointing. My friend and I sat at a table full of empties and cigarette butts - the staff just werent on top of the housekeeping in the bar.

Room service was also a bit of a joke. When I finally got through ordered two beers, chips and ice cream. Took fifty minutes to arrive and the ice cream was melted - I was nodding off by the time it arrived!

These are only small things but I expected more attention to detail in a four star hotel.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled with friends
2  Thank Ahappyvisitor
Reviewed September 21, 2006

Me and my friend booked this hotel as a little treat, we were going out somewhere special so we decided to top the night off with a nights stay in what is said to be a lovely hotel.
Before arriving at the hotel I called and asked if we could have an early check in which I was told would not be possible as they were busy, but normal check in was at 1500.
We decided not to check in until after our event. We arrived at the hotel 0100 to find that our room was not ready! We were told that our room would be ready in 15 minutes and offered a complimentary drink which took half an hour to come. An hour later we were told that our room was finally ready, we were not told of any breakfast arrangements for the following morning and when we got into our room we discovered that it was a no smoking room.
The following morning we found a piece of paper had been pushed under the door telling us that we owed £136.00 even though I had already paid £110.00 for the room.
When checking out of the hotel I was given no explaination as to why I had been given this extra bill and was just told that it was sorted.
All in all I was dissapointed but more shocked at the service that I received from this hotel, I have stayed in better Holiday Inn's.
Hopefully this sort of service is not a regular thing.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled with friends