“Friendly service -drinks and evening meal on the pricey side”

Hilton Milton Keynes
Ranked #16 of 35 Hotels in Milton Keynes
Reviewed February 7, 2010

A warm welcome received by the reception staff. Room and bathroom very clean but rather hot. Recommend you adjust the heating prior to going to bed as we all awoke during the night glowing. Breakfast excellent, will lots of choice. Pool ok, appeared a little unclean at the bottom in the corners. Drinks very pricey, an evening meal with a few drinks before dinner cost £85.00 which considering our child meal was free made it an expensive night. Just must go back to the point that custmer service was excellent.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with family

Reviewed January 19, 2010

One night only in January 2010.

Arrived there at about 17.30. Was told that their 1 lift was broken and I was on the 3rd floor. Had heavy work bag and overnight case which I had to carry up 2 flights of stairs.Corridors are in terrible state and bedroom doors look like they have not been replaced in 40 years.

Bedroom itself was OK with good LCD TV. The bathroom was pretty awful and there was a problem with the shower.

Room service arrived on time but was luke warm at best and food was pretty bad.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed January 15, 2010

Stayed in 2 adjoining rooms with our young family (7,3,3 & 1). The rooms were decidedly average, but the service from each & every member of staff was outstanding, a pleasure to stay there. It made an overnight stay in an average hotel into an experience we all thoroughly enjoyed - well done !!

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed January 10, 2010

Milton Keynes is not short on hotels. You'll find them in various locations around the city, some close to the motorway, some close to Centre MK and everything in between. Personally, I really like this Hilton, located to the South of the city.

Check in was smooth, my room was ready (surprisingly) at 1.30pm when I tried to check in, as I'd arrived early. The room was comfortable, spacious and well equipped with a large plasma screen TV, comfortable bathroom, large wardrobe and a selection of tea's and coffee's with shortbread biscuits.

I ordered bar food for dinner, which arrived promptly (within 15 minutes) and was well cooked and presented. The bar can be quite busy in this hotel, but on this occasion it was quiet and quickly serviced.

The bar is of a reasonable price, but in line with major chain hotel prices (ie, generally more expensive than bars).

Use of the gym and leisure centre are included with the cost of the room and a small, but well equipped gym and pool are available at this property. The pool is however currently out of use, due to repairs - slightly frustrating but understandable as it was clearly marked at reception and commented on during check in.

As I've experienced with many Hilton Hotels around the world, it's starting to show it's age. Lots of brown and cream everywhere, dated bathroom equipment (noticable on the shower heads) and a feeling like it could do with a good clean, even though it actually WAS clean. It's due a refit, but it gave me exactly what I wanted, which was a good nights sleep in a quiet and comfortable room, with good service.

Breakfast was particularly good on this occasion. Well cooked, nice and fresh and with fantastic fresh orange juice ably served to my table. Full compliments to the team on duty. It was efficient, professional, quiet and worth the money (which is not common for most chain hotels).

One note is that on my last few stays here they have had a trainee on reception. If you're a member of a Hhonours programme, you need to highlight this at check-in to receive the benefits you may be due. Otherwise it can be missed. In addition, if you ask a question you sometimes know the answer too (I asked for a late check out - which I know I am entitled to on my Hhonours membership level), they give you the wrong answer. Only when you highlight this due you get what you've asked for. Otherwise, this is a comfortable, clean, well equipped property.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed January 6, 2010

I have been staying at this Hilton on a fortnightly basis for over a year now and it is a good quality hotel providing fair value for money.
I have personally never had any issues with rooms, bathrooms or TVs but over the year I have heard various comments about no hot water, toilets not flushing etc but I can honestly say I have never had a problem. The hotel has had a recent refit and I think it gives a good standard of accommodation, the staff are all very friendly and helpful and the food is reasonable. A pool and gym and nice grounds are all onsite and I never consider looking anywhere else when making my bookings

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed November 11, 2009

I stayed here on the 6th November with my partner. It was our anniversary.
Impossible to find, even to someone who knows the area... there are no signs anywhere.
I booked a Suite for £114. When we were arrived, there was a big queue for reception and one girl on reception struggling on her own. It took us nearly 20 mins to check in. We finally got our key card and headed to our room. The hotel staff had arranged a bottle of champagne and chocolates and strawberrys which was a nice touch for us. We tried to watch a movie during the evening. The tv reception was dreadful. So we phoned reception, they sent someone up and said to us we can move rooms next door. So we moved to the room next door (same type of room)
In this one the TV was just as bad. Except this tv would switch off after 15 mins and any movies we watched would be reset. I phoned reception and again someone came to look at it. Again couldnt do anythjing about it. They put a free view pass on it so i would not pay for any of the movies. We again tried to watch some movies and again it switched off, so we phoned reception again and they told us 'there was nothing they could do about it'
So we ordered some room service. The food was cold and disgusting. The lasagne looked as though it was a microwaveable meal... not something i would expect for a £13 course.
The bed was rock solid and squeaked every time i turned over, so we hardly got any sleep at all.
We ordered breakfast in bed in the morning. The cooked breakfast was cold and everything was covered in a layer of grease.
Then i had a bill through charging me for the movies we had watched.
We went to checkout and had to wait another 20 minutes to check out while a couple in front of us had had a similiar problem.
I had left a complaints card in the room and 5 days later still not received any kind of apology. Thanks for ruining my anniversary.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 6, 2009

We struggled to find this hotel as it was late in the evening, and the navigator couldn't find it either - it only located the surrounding area based on the postcode. Driving around here is a nightmare due to the large number of roundabouts and fast driving, especially in a strange area. Called the hotel but the woman at the front desk was of no use as she couldn't help with directions, even though we were about 2 minutes away, as we later discovered. The breakfast was terrible - cold meats, cheese and salmon were old. Could definitely see the hard bits on the cheese and discolouration in the meat and fish, so was forced to eat the fry-up, which was oily and the eggs slimy and undercooked. (I knew the smoked salmon was old as I could smell it from where I was standing.) The milk jug on the table was dirty - it had brown rings around the inside. Tried to order room service one evening - thought the order was simple enough: spaghetti with pesto and grilled vegetables. After having to ring room service twice and be placed on hold the second time (they didn't answer the first time), a meal was delivered after 45 minutes, not the 25-30 minutes I was promised on the phone. The "meal" consisted of cold, hard spaghetti drenched in pesto, but no vegetables. I asked the waitress to please bring me the correct order. She came back 20 minutes later with plain white spaghetti tossed with a heated salad consisting of the green pepper and onion slices that I had seen in the salad section at breakfast, minus the pesto this time. I was fuming by this stage and went to sleep after 11pm without any dinner, having wasted all that time waiting on rubbish service. On my last evening in this hotel, I was quite ill and decided to stay in and pay for a movie. The tv reception on the pay movie channel was atrocious - could barely make out what was on the screen. Again the receptionist was of no help. I continued watching, and the tv switched off and the movie ended, so I had to turn it back on, start the movie process all over, and go through the very slow fast forwarding. I made the receptionist aware of this, and she told me I would not be charged an additional fee. The tv switched off a number of times after that, I called reception every time and asked whether they could ensure that this didn't happen again, but this didn't help. I eventually gave up trying to watch and contacted reception again to let them know that it was futile. The woman at reception said I would not be charged. The morning of checkout, I found a bill stuck under my door, charging me for two pay movies! Ridiculous. That morning at breakfast, I had to ask the waitress for a clean jug of milk as there were black bits floating in ours. She then realised this was the case for half the tables in the restaurant, and had them removed, but neglected to serve us any coffee or tea- she must've not liked us asking for clean milk. Why was the dirst in the milk not picked up before? Are they strangers to the Health Inspector? I would never stay at this place again. The food is terrible and overpriced, and you'd be better of staying at the Double Tree down the road (about 10 minutes away), where the food is much better. Perhaps the Hiltons need to pay closer attention to the service levels at the Milton Keynes hotel? It's definitely taking a nose dive.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled on business