“apalling service”

Hilton Milton Keynes
Ranked #16 of 35 Hotels in Milton Keynes
Reviewed September 16, 2013

Don't eat here. The service is the worst I've ever come across. The restaurant manager clearly didn't know what he was doing. We waited an hour between courses.there was no organisation with waiting staff running about in an apparently unorganized way. The table wasn't cleared while we waited. There was no apology when we pointed out the length of our wait. Fact we were told that everyone was waiting - that doesn't make it better! When it came the food was sparse and not as advertised on the menu. Dinner and breakfast were equally bad.

Room Tip: Please ignore ratings - my tab won't let me enter correct ratings.
1  Thank Liz M
Ahmet D, Manager at Hilton Milton Keynes, responded to this reviewResponded September 20, 2013

Dear Liz M

I was very concerned to hear that you had a poor dining experience at the hotel. This is certainly not to our usual standard, and I sincerely apologise for your disappointment. We have recently welcomed a new Head Chef to the team, and he is already making changes in our menu’s and choices and I am sure that you will see the difference on your next visit.

Furthermore, I have spent considerable time with the Food and Beverage team, in order that we meet our guests expectations on every stay, and I sorry that you felt disappointed this time.

Please be assured of a warm welcome and if you feel you would like to discuss any aspects of your stay with me personally, please do not hesitate to contact me at the hotel.

Kind regards

There are newer reviews for Hilton Milton Keynes

Reviewed September 16, 2013

Booked this hotel in August as we had stayed there before and were impressed at that time. However this time the hotel fell below our expectations as the room we had had an old damp patch on the wall and on the second day we returned to our room late in the afternoon only to find it still unmade. We complained and had to wait for the room to be cleaned. After cleaning we noticed a nasty stain on one of the new towels. We complained at check out and was promised to be contacted by the hotel manager. We are still waiting !!!!!!
We had eaten in the hotel restaurant one evening and were served our steaks on well worn wooden bread boards which I thought was not very hygienic or appealing. Food was expensive for what you got and the service could have been better. Sorry Hilton but not to the expected standard I have had in the past.

Room Tip: Maybe view your room before accepting it.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Ahmet D, Manager at Hilton Milton Keynes, responded to this reviewResponded September 25, 2013

Dear Nirvana
I was pleased to hear that you stayed on a return visit. However, as newly appointed Hotel Manager, I was concerned to read your disappointing feedback this time. My Head Housekeeper sincerely apologises for the poor standards you reported in your room, and has investigated this with her team. Furthermore, we do have a Duty Manager in attendance at the hotel 24 hours per day, so I was disappointed that you were not directed to them for assistance at the time. We pride ourselves on our standards of hygiene in the hotel and have a high food hygiene recognition, however I will raise your concerns with regard to the serving dishes with our Head Chef. We do have an ongoing refurbishment programme at the hotel where many of our rooms are being updated, and I do hope that you will visit us again in the future.
Regards

Reviewed September 15, 2013

We arrived at this remote hotel about 4 miles from the centre of Milton Keynes by car, it had ample free parking

Despite being the only guests at reception, the two staff prioritised phone calls and computer tapping over our check-in.

We made our way through the tired corridors with chipped doors to our room, which resembled an old travel lodge. Stained carpets, dated furniture and a bathroom that despite being 'cleaned' was so tired it looked grubby

The over bath shower flow was diabolical and despite the trickle of water, the drain backed up.

We ate in the hotel carvery. Food was poor but plentiful. Service was amusing. We asked for cheese, at extra cost, from the a la carte menu for dessert as it wasn't present on the buffet, but was advised they couldn't serve us in the restaurant and we would have to eat it in the bar, as other diners would see us.

Despite a limited wine list our first two requests were sold out.

In the morning the bar area still had sticky tables and dirty glasses laying around, with beer bottles left on the external tables.

The breakfast buffet was excellent with plenty of variety.

In summary, the hotel is poorly managed and unloved and is a disgrace to the Hilton brand. I would add our rate was £130 per night and this is factored into my review and expectations.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Nick_From_Manchester

Thank you for your review. I was pleased to hear that you enjoyed your Hilton breakfast – ‘the best breakfast in town’, however I was most concerned to hear that you encountered some shortcomings during your stay. You will be pleased to hear that we are currently updating our bathrooms with new showers and fitments and other improvements are being made to our rooms this coming year. My newly appointed Food and Beverage Manager joins me in apologising for the poor service you received on this occasion, and corrective action has been applied in order that we meet our guests expectations on every stay. Our Head Chef is working hard in creating new menu’s and I do hope that you will return to sample these.

Reviewed September 14, 2013

Stayed one night as part of a business group attending a course nearby.
All the staff were very friendly and accommodating, but the hotel rooms and some areas are looking very tired. I'm glad that I wasn't paying for it myself! Sad that such a big name is allowing this in such a busy location. Wouldn't repeat the stay out of choice.

Dear Steve N

It was great to hear that you found our staff friendly and helpful. I was concerned to hear that your room was 'tired'. You will no doubt be interested to hear that we are updating our accommodation over the next 12 months and will be installing new shower fitments and enhancements in our bedrooms, should you choose to stay with us again in the future.

Reviewed September 9, 2013

The staff were lovely and helpful and polite but seemed overworked most of the time. The breakfast in room was not very nice, as if it had been kept warm for a long time.The food in the bar was much better, but the bar was not well stocked and they did not have many of the drink stated on the menu (not obscure drinks - Chablis for instance.) There was no breakfast in room menu in the room, there was no wine menu in the room. The worst thing was the room, which was the queen suite and not cheap. The bathroom was dirty, the shower old and really just a trickle. No bath mat next to the bath and no shower slip mat in the shower, There were loads of insects - daddy long legs and moths in the rooms - ok no ones fault but the mess on the walls where previous guests had killed them was still there, which was really horrible. The pool was nice. The terrace area could do with some fairly lights or something as opposed to the old rope around it. Some music in the bar area would also have been less gloomy. We have stayed in lots of other Hiltons and this was not up to standard, A lot of the guests seemed to be business traveler's and no thought was given to anyone who might not be, and might be looking for a little more from the experience. The bed was big and nice however. Tip - there are no shops near by, no mini bar, or fridge, and no free water which is usual, so buy water before you come in and don't expect to be able to keep anything cold. There are lot of other hotels in the area so I would go elsewhere.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Hello Moira W

It was very refreshing to hear that you found our staff lovely and helpful and polite. We are building a good team here at the hotel, and have recently welcomed a new Head Chef, and our menus are being reviewed very shortly.

I am sure that you will be very interested to hear that we are also updating our bathrooms and adding extra enhancements to other areas in the hotel over the coming year. Please be assured that our baths are all fitted to strict Hilton standards, and like other Hilton's in the UK, conform to regular checks and audits.

I was pleased that you had a comfortable night in one of our newly purchased beds, and you might be interested in joining our Hilton Honors loyalty scheme, where you will receive complimentary water and other benefits. It is free to join and there are lots of opportunities to gain points to 'spend' when staying in our hotels.

Thanks again for your feedback and I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Ahmet

Thank you for your improvement point regarding lights in the garden area, and I will consider this as an option for next Summer.

Reviewed September 8, 2013

Choosing a Hilton hotel, and the most expensive hotel in MK, I took it for granted that all rooms in a hotel of such reputation would be air-conditioned. I arrived the hotel in the hottest September day since 1944, found no air-condition in my room and had to escape to a London hotel after 1 out of the 4 nights I booked in advance, a fact which avoided my participation in a conference in the open university where I had to give a talk. Only after a very long and unpleasant discussion with the night receptionist, I was able to get the number of my regular hotel in London. First, he told me theay are very busy and can't do that (at 2 AM). Then, he told me they have only Hilton hotel numbers. Then, he told me to google it from my smartphone (which I don't have) and then that there is no Charing Cross Hotel, but that Charing Cross is just an area in London.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
Ahmet D, Manager at Hilton Milton Keynes, responded to this reviewResponded September 19, 2013

Dear Gidi R

Thank you for taking the time to give a review on Trip Advisor, following your recent stay at the hotel. As newly appointed Hotel Manager, I was concerned to hear that you received a poor level of service from one of the team. Following your feedback, I have spent considerable time with my Front Office Manager, who joins me in sincerely apologising for the frustration and inconvenience this caused, and corrective action has taken place in order that this does not recur.

Unfortunately, as with many other local hotels and Hilton’s in the UK, we do not currently have air conditioning in our bedrooms, and I can only apologise that the fan provided was insufficient for your needs at the time, following this recent adverse spell of hot weather. However, I will pass your comments to the Senior Brand Initiatives team, when asked for guest feedback, for future refurbishment consideration.

It is only by receiving feedback such as yours, that we can improve on our service and standards, so once again, thank you for bringing these points to my attention, and I do hope that you will return to the hotel at some time in the future, where you will be made most welcome.

Reviewed September 7, 2013

We stayed at this hotel over the UK August bank holiday weekend , as we were visiting the attractions in the vicinity. Our accommodation was a stylish, spacious and clean queen deluxe room. Being out most of the time, we only had breakfast in the hotel. The spread was great and the children loved being spoilt for choice! We found the hotel staff courteous and helpful. We will definitely stay at the Hilton again if we are in the area.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Dear Remi I

Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor. I was delighted to hear that you had a lovely time, and shared this with the fantastic team we have here.

We pride ourselves on the Hilton Breakfast, and I was pleased that you and the children enjoyed the buffet.

Kind regards