“Comfortable stay, good room, Restaurant staff need wee bit of organising.”

Hilton Milton Keynes
Ranked #14 of 34 Hotels in Milton Keynes
Scotland
“Comfortable stay, good room, Restaurant staff need wee bit of organising.”
Reviewed August 11, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for two nights while attending a meeting local to the hotel so the location suited me but otherwise it would be good to know the hotel is a wee bit remote, however no noise in the area. Room was good, usual Hilton facilities, but most annoying is WiFi is only free in the bar area you need to pay £14 a night for a code to enable WiFi in the room. Could rent a mobile phone for a month for that, hotels need to move on with this, abroad it's generally free lets drop these ridiculous charges.
Restaurant food was good, fair selection and whatever I asked for was available. Restaurant staff need wee bit of training. On both nights there were no salt & pepper on the table, bring soup and forget the bread, was delivered when asked for. Staff were polite though, just need direction, maybe same waiter sticking with table would help, on both nights someone different served each course.
Leisure facilities are usual "Living Well" style, very pleasant and welcoming reception staff, facilities were good.

• Stayed August 2013
Ahmet D, Manager at Hilton Milton Keynes, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
Dear ShortBreak Scotland

Thank you for your kind review on Trip Advisor. I have shared your feedback with my new Food and Beverage Manager, who will ensure that corrective action takes place in order that we meet our guest expectations on every stay.

With regard to the internet costs, we do have complimentary internet for our Gold and Diamond Hilton Honors members and free internet for all guests in our lounge area. However I will share your comments with my Senior Brand Initiatives team, for future consideration.

I have also shared your kind comments regarding the staff, which have been most gratefully received, and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Regards
Ahmet

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (186)
  • Polish first
milton keynes
Reviewed August 4, 2013

Not only my worst stay at a Hilton, but actually the worst stay in any hotel, ever! We left at lunchtime today and whereas you would feel rested and looked after normally from a hotel visit, honestly, we felt chewed up and spat out!

Our family room for 2 adults and two children didn't have bedding for children, (no problem), rang reception, they sent someone to bring it up, quilt and one pillow, asked if we could have a pillow each, "sorry, hotel is really busy so we have run out of pillows" (okay) one of us will sleep on a sofa cushion, had a family event in the evening, with BBQ, (really great food and staff), shame about litter on lawn, otherwise really nice area, tried to get coffee after food at bar, "sorry, machine is broken" so we had to make coffee in our room and bring it down (still okay and laughing, no pillow, no coffee, what's happening in this hotel?). At the evening disco, the air conditioning wasn't working, DJ had a look to try and help, then we asked staff who looked and just walked away, (nevermind). We tried to get some little milks to take to our room at night and were told there weren't any and given a paper cup with milk, (fine), we eventually got an extra pillow, reception was surprised and apologetic, (nice fix).

The worst part was the morning. We had decided to eat breakfast together at 9, we met in lobby, I asked the lady who takes rooms numbers about any chance of there being a suitable place for our large group, I got a shock, aggressive and sarcastic comments "couldn't I see how busy the restaurant was", "of course that large table is already reserved", (not quite sure how forcing smile on top of rude comments stops them being rude...interesting!), we were told in a "I wish I wasn't working here" or possibly "I wish you lot weren't here" kind of way, you can sit in the lobby if you want, some of the tables are already made up and others weren't so we set to making it work, some of our party getting orange juice to share around, or coffee, I went looking for the cutlery for the bare tables so the children could start eating, looked around the restaurant, spare cutlery by the door, started taking some knives and forks, this made same lady obviously very unhappy, I was told I could leave it as a member of staff was setting the table already, same aggression, same forced smile, and then she put her hand on my shoulder and escorted me from her area!!!! (Wow, really not okay now!) So offended I could not bring myself re-enter the restaurant or eat, I could not have been made to feel more unwelcome, very upsetting that it was also directed towards my family which I hope they didn't really notice. I decided to go straight to reception and complain as I wouldn't be eating. Really nice duty manager, I explained the situation, she was understanding and offered to re-emburse my breakfast, and even to organise a lunch for me if I didn't want breakfast, I said thank you but declined. She was fantastic as was the lady on reception. I just went to my room to have coffee (again!) and cake from the evening before as I really didn't want to cause any drama.

My husband later decided to complain about all the earlier issues too, and we were given credit for another stay at a Hilton, as we had already made the payment. However we are a bit scared of trying another Hilton at this point, although I have been told other Hiltons are much better. Very confusing hotel, part marvellous, part terrifying! Bit traumatic!

Fundamentally these are problems with management as far as I'm concerned though, I don't blame the lady in the restaurant or any other staff, they may be over-worked, under trained or just working in the wrong area for their skill sets, who knows and it's really not my problem, I go to a hotel and expect someone else to deal with that!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank justvisiting600
Dear justvisiting600

Thank you for your detailed review of our hotel. As newly appointed Hotel Manager, I was very disappointed to hear about your experience. Please accept my sincere apologies on behalf of the team here.

Furthermore, I believe that we have now spoken on the telephone regarding your experience, and I trust that I have restored your faith in our hotel and brand by listening and responding appropriately.

We are undergoing further changes in the hotel, with the arrival of a new Food and Beverage Manager, and it is only by receiving feedback such as yours that we can improve on our service and standards, so once again thank you for taking the time to give your feedback via Trip Advisor, and I look forward to meeting you personally on your next visit to the hotel.

Travelers are raving about these Milton Keynes hotels

London
Reviewed July 30, 2013

Wasn't one of the nicest hilton hotels that I stayed in due to location and age of the hotel but we had a good stay. Be prepared as the hotel is in the middle of nowhere. The restaurant was very slow at serving the food. There is a small pool which was OK and the member of staff who manned it (reception and the pool) was very helpful. Loved the steam room, sauna and powerful jacuzzi.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Ahmet D, Manager at Hilton Milton Keynes, responded to this review, August 2, 2013
Dear lols6

Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor. I am so pleased that you had a good stay and enjoyed your time in the leisure area.

Our hotel is situated just 10 minutes from Central Milton Keynes and 5 minutes from the M1 motorway, so should you visit us again, please be sure to ask Reception for details and distances of local amenities.

I will be looking closely at service in our Restaurant, over the next few weeks as I settle into my new role as Hotel Manager, so thank you for your feedback in that respect.

I hope that you will come and visit us again soon, you will be made most welcome from the team.

Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 29, 2013

This is Hilton at its worst, not decorated for years just a quick flash up here and there, dated rooms and furniture, poor repairs, marks on walls worn decor.

Off to the the bar for food, prawn cocktail out of stock, beer had yeast in the bottom of glass, now these are basics. Food was average and the salad had a stored in the warm look about it.

The only positive is the staff , polite and helpful and dealt with my complaint over the beer with speed and charm, they replaced the drink and took the cost off the bill.

If you want Hilton standard staff excepted you will not get it here, the whole place is tired and grubby, even the gardener has been laid off by the looks of the rear garden which is the view from my room.

Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Dear Steve F

Thank you for your feedback via Trip Advisor. As newly appointed Hotel Manager, I was very sorry to hear your review of the hotel. I will certainly take your feedback into consideration when planning future refurbishments, however we do have plans regarding improvements to our product very soon. It is very refreshing to hear that you found the staff polite and helpful. We have a great team, which we are building on in the very near future.

I do hope that you will visit us again in the future, and you can be assured of a better experience next time.

Kind Regards
Torquay, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Well...stayed here for the Silverstone grand prix. Should have moved to another hotel straight away...My partner had arrived earlier and was having breakfast, I decided to join her and ordered a pot of tea...Hmm, arrived made with cold water - not a good start. Got back in the evening and decided to have a drink...it was off, even the replacement ale was off, so decided on a small bottle..same price?? £6.00 nuts.! Food, well we decided to cut and run and had a club sandwich in the room.

The following night we went for a meal in the restaurant. Decided on a bottle of wine which was very nice. Not the one we ordered though, this one was about four times the prices, nobody seemed to notice and we did not have any reason to complain. We decided on the buffet this night, and the curry and ribs were just brilliant. the other dishes just didn't measure up.

Rooms were adequate although very stuffy and the check-in and out was acceptable if slow. The staff seemed to be doing their best, just not enough of them.

Would I go there again - no!

Room Tip: Flip a coin!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear artangelDevon

Thank you for providing a review on TripAdvisor. Firstly, I was pleased to hear that you had an enjoyable meal in the restaurant. However please accept my sincere apologies for the shortcomings you reported with regard to the rest of your food and beverage experience. Following your comments I have spent considerable time with the team, who join me in apologising. You may also be interested to hear that we are shortly undergoing a change in our senior food and beverage team, and I will be sure to include your comments, which can only help improve the service and standards we aim to deliver on every stay.

Please do visit us again, I am sure that you will be delighted with the improvements we are making to our product.

Egham, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 28, 2013

Hotel was completely full. Arrived about 6PM and one person on front desk so very long wait to check in. Queue just got longer and longer - very poor management. Our room was on second floor and very hot. No AC and no fan so just opened the window as far as possible. Bedroom was OK but bathroom tired, dirty and shabby with a pathetic shower.

I have to say that all of the staff that we met, especially the bar staff were very friendly and the bar area and lounge are very nice.

As the evening got later the room was invaded by mosquitoes so had to close the window and the room soon got unbearable. Mattress was hard and uncomfortable and pillows thin and cheap so very poor nights sleep.

Unfortunately there are much better choices in the area.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Ahmet D, Manager at Hilton Milton Keynes, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
Dear AFrequentTraveller

Thank you for taking the time to give your comments on your stay at the hotel. I was very pleased to hear that you found all our staff friendly, and that you enjoyed the ambience in our lounge area.

However, please accept my sincere apologies for the long wait to check-in. We are aware that there was a problem during that busy evening, and did make every effort to apologise to our guests personally and offer a cold drink whilst waiting. This should not recur for future stays, and I am sorry for the inconvenience you suffered on this occasion.

I was disappointed to hear that you had an uncomfortable night's sleep during the recent spell of extremely hot weather, and that the fan provided did not provide sufficient comfort. We have recently had our mattresses replaced, and I was sorry to hear that this did not suit your requirements. I have shared your comments my Housekeeping Manager with regard to the comfort of pillows and I will ensure this is investigated and corrective action takes places for future visits.

We do also have an ongoing refurbishment programme at the hotel, and over the next few months there will be much improvement to our product, in order that we can deliver the quality and service our guests expect. Please be sure to visit us again, you will be made most welcome.

Kind Regards
England, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 23, 2013

Not customer focused Very slow service In restaurant every table by us was complaining about time or quality Coffee served cold Couldn't be bothered to clear tables in restaurant Avoid at all costs Same member of staff interrupted my check in and when ordering a drink at empty bar. Overall I would describe the hotel as tired and in need of major refurbishment.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Dear Roger B

Thank you for taking the time to give your comments on Trip Advisor. I was sorry to hear that you felt you had a poor experience. It is our policy to listen to our guests and in turn improve on our service and standards. Please be assured that the issue you reported has been addressed and furthermore, we do have an ongoing refurbishment process which will see many of our rooms improved for 2014.

I do hope that you will visit us again and please be assured of a better experience next time.