“Below Standard for a Hilton” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hilton Milton Keynes

Hilton Milton Keynes
Ranked #14 of 35 Hotels in Milton Keynes
Bristol
“Below Standard for a Hilton”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2012 via mobile

Stayed at this hotel for one night in December and felt the hotel to be rather old fashioned and certainly not up to the Hilton level of service I have come to expect over the years.

Due to travel, we did not arrive at the hotel until almost midnight and our arrival coincided with a large and very loud party finishing. This is obviously fine as hotels normally host parties and special events, but unfortunately the 'cloakroom' was also the reception so we had then wait for a number of very drunken people to hand in receipts and wait for their coats. It therefore took around 20 minutes before we were able to check in and finally get to bed.

The room was very dated but at least it was clean and tidy. Breakfast was average (not very hot) and unfortunately the WiFi did not work, and after four telephone calls to reception to ask for support and none arriving after an hour I gave up. Overall, this hotel is not up to the standard of a normal Hilton, but as I only paid a very low rate I accepted the quality of service without a more formal complaint. Next time I'll stay elsewhere...

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank NotRuthWatson
Prasoon P, Manager at Hilton Milton Keynes, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
Dear NotRuthWatson

Thank you for your feedback on our hotel. I was sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations on this occasion. We make every effort to ensure that our guests' have a wonderful stay, and I am sorry you felt let down on this occasion. Please be assured that your comments will be acted on and I do hope that you will stay again at some time in the future.

Regards

Prasoon

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (173)
  • Polish first
Wales
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2012

This is a typical 1970s style motel (think Crossroads Motel, if like me, you are old enough to remember). I have stayed here a couple of times because its location suits my business needs. Using a third-party website I have always managed to bag a bargain price for an executive room. And I really like the room facilities. The front desk staff are friendly and efficient, too. However, the restaurant food is disgusting. You would have thought that an English restaurant could manage fish and chips at least, especially when charged at £12.. Mine was too greasy and the "pea purée" (mushy peas to you and me) were microwaved to an inch of its life; making it solid and brittle. The food on my previous visit was just as bad: "fresh tuna" with the texture of an old boot.

Room Tip: Phone out for a pizza. The restaurant food is awful and the room service processed cheese sandwich i...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Dear CelestiaWales

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel. I was pleased to hear that you found our rooms comfortable, however I am sorry to hear of your disappointing restaurant experience. Please be assured that this is certainly not to our usual standards and please accept my sincere apologies on behalf of the team at Hilton Milton Keynes I have ensured that your comments have been actioned, as it is only by receiving feedback such as yours, that we can improve on our service and standards.

May I take this opportunity of wishing you a Happy New Year, and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel at some time in the future.

Bedford, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 22, 2012

We stayed here after a Christmas party in a large group. We requested a wheelchair accessible room and when we checked it we discovered it was just a standard room with too much furniture and not full accessible. The bathroom was not accessible for my husband to have a shower or use the toilet and this is really unacceptable when you market the room as fully wheelchair accessible and from a Hilton hotel. The room was so small that my husband wasn't able to get around the whole room.

The hotel rooms need modernising and the beds could be more comfortable The corridors also need to be monitored as ours was dirty everytime we used them.

On a positive, the reception area is clean and modern and the staff were good at reception and in the bar area.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank dm342
Prasoon P, Manager at Hilton Milton Keynes, responded to this review, December 27, 2012
Dear dm342

Thank you for your review. As a hotel we do regularly review the issues mentioned and our team here are always happy to listen to guest feedback and will do our utmost to rearrange rooms to accommodate any special needs or requirements. Please let us us know if we can assist you further next time you stay, and we will ensure your room is arranged to your complete satisfaction.

Travelers are raving about these Milton Keynes hotels

Bristol, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here for he 1st time on a one night business trip. Rooms dated and tired, breakfast was cold at 7am, however I slept better here tan the doubletree and the staff were very good, in particular the main guy in the restaurant and the lady behind the bar both on the night of the 12th and then the morning of 13th December, these 2 people showed outstanding customer care and are an asset to your hotel.

Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Prasoon P, Manager at Hilton Milton Keynes, responded to this review, December 17, 2012
Dear mattb3781

I was so pleased to hear that you had a good night's sleep at our hotel and found our staff showed outstanding customer care.

We have a great team at Hilton Milton Keynes, and you can always be sure of a warm welcome.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2012

Stayed there for a weekend..service was okay..not what I exactly expected from a Hilton hotel to be honest. I did get a good deal for it so it was acceptable but on its full price, I don't think i would recommend it. The room was quite small as well. Clean and basic sums it up quite well.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Prasoon P, Manager at Hilton Milton Keynes, responded to this review, December 13, 2012
Dear VarunaP

Thank you for your review. I was pleased to hear that you found a good deal when booking the hote,l and pleased that you found the room clean and comfortable.

I do hope that you will come and visit us again, as we are consistently updating our product in order to deliver what our guests' are requesting.

You will be made most welcome by our fantastic staff.

Peterborough, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2012

Having stayed at The Hilton Milton Keynes on two other occasions with friends, I was looking forward to staying there with my husband. We stayed on a Friday night in November as we were going to a concert at the nearby Stables theatre (an excellent venue).

Unfortunately the Hilton did not live up to our expectations on this occasion.

There were not enough staff at Reception, so we had to wait some time before checking in. There was no reply from Housekeeping when the lady at Reception phoned to ask if our room was ready, so she allocated us a different room. This meant that the free WiFi (as Hilton gold card holders) did not work with our name and room number combination; there was no complimentary water in the room; a newspaper arrived the following day even though we had said we didn’t want one; and our name and room number were not on the list for breakfast the next morning.

The room itself was okay, with a large comfortable bed and it was reasonably clean (apart from fluff in the drawers). The bathroom was not very good: the toilet was very difficult to flush properly; it was also difficult to turn the shower and cold tap off fully; the shower itself was old and not at all powerful; and the towels (which had labels from the Bank of England health club) had definitely seen better days.

We arrived at around 3.30pm and there were several trays of dirty plates (some from breakfast) all the way along the corridor to our room.

We had a drink in the bar before getting ready to go out for the evening. Again, there was only one member of staff, who told us there were no crisps available. We noticed that some of the bar snacks were served with crisps and there were packets at the bar later in the evening, so there were clearly some somewhere in the hotel. The bar area was reasonably comfortable, but a bit grubby, with biscuit crumbs, sugar wrappers, ketchup bottles and dirty cups lying around.

Breakfast the following morning was good (very nice hash browns and good scrambled eggs by hotel standards), but the staff were very slow to clear our used plates.

To be fair, the WiFi and complimentary water problems were resolved to our satisfaction and it didn’t seem to matter that we weren’t on the list for breakfast. Also, the few staff we did see were, as usual, friendly and polite. But we left with the definite impression that the hotel was short-staffed and couldn’t quite cope. We did get a very good rate by booking a long time in advance, and we would be willing to give the Hilton MK another chance to get things right next time.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Bluesprout61
Dear Bluesprout61

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I was sorry to hear we didn't live up to our usual expectations during your stay. We have carried out corrective action on the points mentioned in your review, in order to put things right for next time.

I'm delighted that you will come back and stay with us again. You will be sure of a very warm welcome.

Regards

Gloucester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2012

190 pounds for 1 night B&B. Enough said???

The room....curtains hanging off the wall, chipped and cracked bathroom tiles, with random hairs (not mine!), tinned peaches and pears in the "fresh fruit" selection for breakfast, with plastic tubs of "butter".

Common on, really?? Just so we are clear 190 pounds stirling, for a room arguably no better than a Premier Inn, in Milton Keynes in very early December.

blatant over pricing for what is a business hotel.

To be balanced, last timie I stayed here, you had to pay for wifi, you don't anymore, its "complementary", and the service is good...BUT just soooo expensive for what is, at best a tired hotel.

Wont be staying there again, seriously go find somewhere else!!

Room Tip: They are all bland, tired and very very expensive
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank James4298
Dear James4298

Thank you for your post about your stay with us at Hilton Milton Keynes.

I am very sorry that we did not meet your expectations on this particular visit. We do work hard to maintain and continuously improve our standards and service, and I hope that should you stay with us again you will see further improvement in both.