“Disappointing food and service”

Hilton Milton Keynes
Ranked #16 of 35 Hotels in Milton Keynes
Reviewed December 6, 2012

Breakfast was very good, with a large variety of choice and quality. However during my stay staff could not cope with the demand which led to a drop in service. The bar area was never manned from around 4.30 pm and you struggled to order drinks or food. On three occasions i ordered a jug of water and this request was ignored.
Dinner unlike breakfast, is to be avoided at all costs. The desserts in particular are the cheapest I have ever seen in a Hilton Hotel. The presentation was poor and the taste even worse, below the standard of Farmfoods. The cost of a dessert such as apple crumble and custard and sticky toffee pudding with custard is £7, a total rip off for such poor quality. The remainder of the menu and drinks was also over priced. I was very surprised as the other Hilton city hotels I have stayed in are competitive and offer good quality. A real shame.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank andyh67186334
Prasoon P, Manager at Hilton Milton Keynes, responded to this reviewResponded December 10, 2012

Dear andyh67186334

Thank you for your review. I was most disappointed to hear of your experience and can assure you that the standards you described are certainly not what we normally offer at the hotel.

I have shared your comments with the Head Chef, who joins me in apologising and we will ensure that this is a one-off experience and not something to be encountered for future stays.

Our prices are set as the standard Hilton brand, and are clearly displayed in the standard menu's, however I will ensure that the quality we offer reflects this.

Thanks again for your feedback, it has been most helpful and it is through comments such as yours that we can improve consistently.

Reviewed December 3, 2012

Staying at a Hilton in the past was a treat, and I was not bothered between hilton and marriot, now Marriot everytime, To book a hotel through the Honours web site, I turn up and make my way through the smokers in the doorway, I get my room, opposite the room on the floor were empty vodka and other assorted spirit bottles, I am so glad I was not staying here the night before. Nice room, it was actually my second one, the first had a table and no bed!! Switch the TV on and the battery falls out of the remote which was held in by very old sellotape. Normally you get a bottle of water in the room on the first night, there is a bottle of waterbut ithas a label say £3.95, in the doubletree downthe road, you get water and a warm cookie on arrival, so Marriot pleasebuild a hotel in Milton Keynes

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank hallchr
Prasoon P, Manager at Hilton Milton Keynes, responded to this reviewResponded December 4, 2012

Dear Hallchr

I was sorry to hear about the recent disappointment you encountered at the hotel. This is certainly not to our usual standard and I have taken steps to rectify the issues you described.

Next time you stay, please do not hesitate to contact me and I will ensure that everything meets your satisfaction.

Thanks for your feedback, it is important that we know about such things, in order to put them right immediately.

Reviewed November 28, 2012 via mobile

Writing this review sat in the restaurant after a cold steak, Sent back once, been waiting 25 mins for someone to clear my plates and maybe offer desert or coffee, considering there are 16 diners in a restaurant with around 150 seats I am safe in saying the service is terrible

• Stayed: November 2012
1  Thank TonyEnty

Dear TonyEnty

I was most concerned to hear about your disappointing Restaurant experience. Please be assured that corrective action has taken place immediately, in order that this does not recur for future stays.

Thank you for bringing this matter to our attention via TripAdvisor, and I trust that your next stay will meet your expectations.

Reviewed November 20, 2012

I booked this as a deal on line as you cant book at the Hotel. The package was Friday from 3pm through to Sunday 12pm with evening meal and bottle of wine on first night and breakfast on both mornings for £198.00 including use of the gym, sauna, steam room and pool.
The Hotel is on the edge of being a bit worn in my opinion - all the surfaces of the funiture wiere either scratched or had ring marks - I found the previous guests wi fi ticket on the floor by the bed which was missed by the cleaners and the bathroom was very small - however everthing was in working order.
The meal was very good but the services was poor - My Husband had to go and find a waiter and ask him to clear the table of the dinner items as he was loosing the will to live! We did not wait for the pudding, although in fairness I think this may have been because there was a change of waiters and we had been missed.
The swimming pool was good as were all the other facilities and we wanted to discuss a joint 4 month membership, but the member of staff said that they did not do them anymore - what a wasted opportunity as the place was not busy and I would have thought they would need all the business they could get.
I would suggest that this lends it self more to events and business stays which require little customer service, rather than weekenders who are looking for a different kind of experience.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank karen164

Dear karen 164

Thank you for your review. I was pleased that you enjoyed your overall stay, however I noted your improvement points and please be assured that we are continually improving our product and by listenening to what our guests tell us, we strive to ensure that we meet expectations. We pride ourselves on excellent service, and I am sorry that your recent experience was not as it should be. Please be reassured that your feedback will be acted on.

Kind regards

Reviewed November 18, 2012

Stayed on a visit to attend a friend's wedding in Milton Keynes. Rooms are clean and tidy. Staff polite and friendly. Breakfast very average in a fast food type, 'help you self set-up' - (more and more prevelant in the UK).

No real customer service, just wanted to take the money.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank John E
Prasoon P, Manager at Hilton Milton Keynes, responded to this reviewResponded November 26, 2012

Dear JohnE

Thanks for your review. I was pleased to hear you found our staff polite and friendly but I was concerned to hear that you felt undervalued. Please be assured that all our guests are our valued customers, and it is only by receiving such feedback that we can improve on our service and standards. I do hope that you will visit us again sometime soon - you can be sure of a warm welcome.

Reviewed November 14, 2012

I regularly stay here and am treated really well every time I stay - the staff are friendly and helpful I regularly join the fitness class and both Jay and Liz are excellent and the club members also make me very welcome. It makes it so much easier to be away from home on business when people remember your name when you return and seem pleased to see you. The restaurant meals are generally fairly good but I did prefer it when they had a choice of set menu for £20 for a three course meal. The breakfast are very good with an excellent selection of hot and cold food

Room Tip: All the rooms are a decent size and it is not generally noisy - I have had rooms at the front and ba...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank FoxtrotFilly

Dear FoxtrotFilly

Thank you for another great response on TripAdvisor. It is always refreshing to hear that our regular guests feel valued, and we do look forward to welcoming you back again very soon.

Reviewed November 11, 2012

I tried to book this Hotel for a three night break with friends over New Years Eve. The events manager said he would email me details before he left work that day. I did not receive any details so rang the duty manager and asked if she would hold two rooms for me pending receipt of details. She said she could not do this (unbelievable) but would get the events manager to respond to me urgently.

No response so I sent an email to the general manager. Again no reply. I complained to customer services and received an email form Head Office in Dallas, Texas, asking me to confirm my concern which I duly did. That was over a month ago and I have heard no more.

Hotel may be OK, but it is so rude not to respond to any enquiries and I will be hesitant to try to book any Hilton Hotel in the future.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank BRIAN o

Hello BRIANo

Sorry to hear about your booking problems. I believe our emails did not reach you, however I was pleased to hear that we were able to contact you by telephone in order to resolve your enquiry.

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback on Trip Advisor.